Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #1  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Default George Forman Grill

How does this work? I have one.. and I cook with it, but I never thought of is as a healthier way to cook? Is it healthier than a regular grill? I dont know.. I was making turkey burgers last night on my grill and I was watching the fat drain off and I was like.. maybe its healthier because the fat drains down, and its not actually cooking IN the fat? I dont know.. so I thought I would ask.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #2  
with my mind on my monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS
How does this work? I have one.. and I cook with it, but I never thought of is as a healthier way to cook? Is it healthier than a regular grill? I dont know.. I was making turkey burgers last night on my grill and I was watching the fat drain off and I was like.. maybe its healthier because the fat drains down, and its not actually cooking IN the fat? I dont know.. so I thought I would ask.
That's exactly why it's healthier than cooking in a pan (stovetop or oven). Instead of steeping in fat, the grease drains off.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Ready2Shed: I got one too and I like it b/c it cooks meat fast. It's not the same as a regular grill, it doesn't get the "grilled" taste I love, but it's a fast, convenient & healthful way of cooking.

I don't know if I'd consider it any healthier than say baking or stir-frying with cooking spray. If you notice the tray, most of the "stuff" running off of it is mainly water or "juice" if you will, of course there is some fat that runs off too, but it's not all fat. If you use it to grill skinless chicken breast there is hardly any fat on the tray.

Like I said it's quick & easy, but baking, broiling, stir-stir frying can be just as healthful as the Foreman grill. But if it's quick & easy you want, then it's perfect for it!

I use mine to make grilled cheese sandwiches & quesadillas too!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I love mine so much I went out and bought the jumbo one so I can cook my meat and two veggies all at one time! Baby carrots are great on it, as are red peppers!! Asparagus is terrible though LOL. I have never tried grilled cheese sandwiches on it! Do you coat the bread with something? Do they get crispy at all? I do grilled sandwiches in the oven usually as I like them toasty.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #5  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

I have a tiny one and I do my pita pockets on them. It makes the bread SO crunchy and crisp. Great for grilled cheese or pizza pita. My favorite thing on the foreman is whole wheat pita with mozzarella, fresh basil, and Roasted red pepper or tomato (whatever of those two is on hand).
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #6  

I will have to try that!!! Sounds wonderful!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #7  
Is on an Infinite Cut

I have the big one too. The indoor/outdoor grill. I like it.. I dont do much with it. I bet grilled peppers are YUMMY.. I love peppers.Might have to try that.. I grill corn on it.. in the husk. I learn that from Paula Dean.. ( imma foodnetwork junkie) Its sooo delicious and sweet, and crunchy.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Misti: I don't put anything on the bread, but if you think it may stick you can always use a little PAM spray on the grill.

Ready2Shed: Me too!!!! I love the Food Network, and I love Paula too, I call her the "pah lady" (for pie), lol.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #9  

Thanks Friendly. I will try it without anything on it and see how it goes!! This sounds so good I am going to get some this weekend and try it! Yay I love it when I find something different to add to my eating plan!! Thanks for sharing your idea! Sometimes we wonder why we didn't THINK of that LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #10  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I use mine 3 or 4 times a week I love it!
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #11  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

ready2shedlbs- you live in Savannah? I am so jealous...if you aren' tmarried you need to hunt down her youngest son and marry that boy! Guaranteed fabulous food at the holidays! Maybe I'm not so jealous...that'd be a lot of temptation for me. Still, I'd love to go hot wild in her restaurant at least once.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #12  
Is on an Infinite Cut

I applied for a job at her brothers resturant.. Uncle Bubbas. They didnt call back though Its ok. No, Im not married, but I dont know that they are in Savannah alot. Ive never seen them of course.. I thought the oldest one was the best looking, but hes married now I would pass out if I met Paula Dean. I love her.. wish she was my gramma or something. lol
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #13  
Sweet Success

It drains off more fat then some people realize. I had one day didn't get in the kitchen on time to clean out the drip tray and the half full drip tray was completely solid with some pretty gross stuff. I am glad to see that stuff drain off into the drip tray

I also like the grill because it cooks fast. I think anything that I cook comes out tasting better. Chicken, beef, and Morningstar patties.

I had replace my small one that I had for 2 years with a new one this year where I could remove the grills and wash it easier.

Yep! I love my grill. I could not live with out it.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:37 AM   #14  

Good point, Feisty! The drip tray can look pretty nasty when it sits a while... glad all that gross stuff doesn't go into my stomach yew.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

Height: 5'9

Costcos is selling the big one that stands alone. It is 49.00. I am thinking about getting one for my deck.
Closed Thread