Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 07:50 PM   #1  
Member w/ messiest house

Question Frozen meals--what's good and bad?

Would love to get people's take on various diet type frozen meals. I just bought 4 different Lean Cuisine meals, had one last night and one tonight. Both of them were awful! So to start the ball rolling, here's my review of them:

Lean Cuisine Beef with Portobello Mushrooms and Redskin Mashed Potatoes:
Lowsy! Potatoes were tasteless except for a few raw chunks, mushrooms could have been any kind, certainly didn't look like portobello, beef was boring texture. Overall blah taste

Lean Cuisine Carbonara Chicken:
Tasted okay, but there were numerous inedible pieces in the chicken (gag!)

Your turn!

Kiwi
Old 10-08-2001, 02:37 PM   #2  
Member w/ messiest house

Hi Kiwi, What an interesting thread -- I'll just jump in here and offer an opinion of my own. I like Lean Cuisine Swedish Meatballs, although the meatballs are a little questionable sometimes (as in "what's that crunchy thing?")

Kiwi
Old 10-08-2001, 05:48 PM   #3  

Default Hi Kiwi!!

I'd follow you anywhere!! My favorite Lean Cusine is Spaghetti w/ meat sauce. It tastes good enough that I would eat it even if I weren't trying to behave myself.

Re: Chicken carbonara - I actually like this one, but I have to agreee with you about the questionable chunks of chicken.

Another favorite is Mac n Cheese, which is enough for a meal if you cook some cauliflower and kind of dip the veggie into the cheese sauce.

My problem with these meals is that they don't tend to fill me up unless I cook some veggies to go with.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:40 PM   #4  
Member w/ messiest house

and having to cook something else kind of defeats the purpose of frozen dinners, doesn't it? The only reason I buy them is so I don't have to cook!

Of course, if I were really on the ball, I suppose I would have fruit salad or cutup veggies in the fridge all the time.

I'll have to try the spag & meatballs, could prob. get a lunch out of that one.

K.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:13 PM   #5  

Hi there,

I'm a vegeterian, so I don't eat Lean Cuisine. A lot of frozen "vegeterian" dinners include chicken or beef broth as seasoning. I REALLY like Amy's brand dinners. A whole dinner is about 250 calories, is made with non-genetically modified and organic ingredients, and tastes good! Even my non-veggie friends like them. Here's a link to their website: http://www.amys.com/

It's underconstruction, but does include a few pictures. I am able to buy these at Safeway. I often eat one of the enchilada dinners - cheese or tofu and vegetables with beans and rice, or beans and corn. Surprisingly, I think they are quite filling. If I am still hungry, I eat an apple with them.

Just my two cents,

Kim
Old 10-17-2001, 08:00 PM   #6  
Member w/ messiest house

Default MMMM!!

I checked out that Amy's web site. Those pot pies look really good! I had never heard of Amy's before; I don't think they are sold around here (northeast) yet. I'm going to look for them, though. Thanks for the tip.

Kiwi
Old 10-20-2001, 06:58 PM   #7  

Angry

hi everyone............as for frozen diet dinners I have to say that I like almost all of the ww frozen meals especially the pizzas, the mac & cheese which is better than the lean cuisine, the florentine lasagna, the santa fe red beans and rice is great and you get a lot.
Old 10-27-2001, 08:22 PM   #8  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Just tried Uncle Ben's Pasta Bowls

Chicken Fettucine Alfredo -- not bad at all! Very tasty, and the broccoli was not overcooked.
Closed Thread