Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #1  

Default I'm Sooo Torn - Your Opinions Please (Long and Whiny I'm Afraid)

I am so discouraged, I truly am not sure what to do . As some of you know, I started on this board in January, purchased the LAWL plan from the internet and have been trying to do the plan without going to a COD. I also quit smoking several weeks ago, so I've just been trying to maintain my weight while getting through the worst of the cravings.

I lost several pounds (my ticker shows my lightest weight since starting) but I have really been slipping the last few weeks. I can't afford to gain weight at this point since I ride and show horses and need to fit into my VERY EXPENSIVE custom clothing that would cost me a fortune to replace at this late date. This is not an option in my mind !!!!

Well to cap off a really crappy couple of weeks, I went to the doctor on Friday, who did notice that I lost a few pounds (but gained back 7 pounds from my lowest recent weight) and proceeded to really hammer on me about my diet, cholesterol and its dangers. My blood pressure is high and my cholesterol numbers are 300+ with bad cholesterol numbers that are just as bad. My DM's family is diabetic and my DM has had a stroke and sight problems due to out of control sugar. Luckily, my sugar is not out of whack at all , but it's just not enough.

MY DH, who is truly a wonderful guy and indulges my every whim (including my incredibly expensive horse habit ) tell me my life is more important than a few dollars and please sign up at a center if LAWL is what could help me. He truly doesn't care, he just wants me to be healthlier again than I've been for the last few years.

I would feel so guilty spending that money if I failed again - I never had a weight problem when I was younger, but after two kids and an indulgent hubby that loves to eat out I've gained 50+ pounds. So, please "weight-in" (pun intended ) and let me know:

- How did you decide LAWL was a plan you could stick with?
- Do you feel guilty about the money?
- Does the center really make the difference???

I'm so frustrated - I truly can't decided if I can be successful on LAWL and if the center would make the difference, since I've NEVER been successful on any plan yet... Thanks for listening, it feels good to get this off my chest...

Can you tell that I haven't been online in a while !!
Loves Saddlebreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #2  
slowlyshrinking

I can only tell you my experience. I've had a weight problem since I was a little kid, and did lose weight successfully once or twice - once on a totally stupid fast in high school (well, what do you expect from a 14 year old!), and once using Weight Watchers. But, I gained all of that weight back, plus a bunch more. I had decided last spring that I needed to do something, and had planned (and planned and planned) to rejoin WW last summer, but never did. I decided to do LAWL because 1) I knew I couldn't do it myself and 2) the money is part of the motivation for me - I'm going to get my 1/2 back! So, I don't feel guilty about the money - I've spent money on dumber attempts to lose weight! And, for me, going to the COD 3 times a week really makes me stay accountable. Since you are always going to WI again in a day or 2, I tend to be able to stay on the program. And, for me, it does seem to make a difference. I haven't been able to go the COD for the last couple of weeks because I had some surgery and have to be off a month, and I do find that I have a much harder time staying POP when I'm not weighing in 3 times a week. So, while it's different for everybody, this is the longest I've stuck with a program in years, and I've had more success than I've had in years. I also think that the maintenance program will really help me make the lifestyles changes so I don't ever have to do this again! Good luck with your decision!
slowlyshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:50 PM   #3  
milkyway

S/C/G: 243/222/170

Loves Saddlebreds:

Oh Girl, , well as for me let me tell you that I didn't knew that it was the plan for me until I joined it, once I started it and found out how it worked I liked it b/c it is with your own food and also help you with portion control. About the money... Hmm, since I joined this thread I have learned so much stuff that I didn't knew before, like the replacement of the bars, and that there are plans w/o using the bars..etc, so in that way yes I kind of feel a little guilty, but I don't feel guilty for joined the program, the thruth is that I feel pleased of what I have reached, the center, I don't think that is neccessary, anyways, as I said before I have learned more in this threads than going to the COD... Hope that helps!
rad7775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Saddlebreds--so sorry you are having a hard time right now. You are tackling 2 huge undertakings at once and I am in awe.

How did I decide??
1. DH and I saw firsthand through both his parents (60 & 37 lbs) and a cousin (60ish) that the program WORKS if you stick to it. Our only regret was not starting when they did.
2. Guilty? Only for a second then we realized (with 2 kids) that without our health we have nothing! YOU are worth every penny. Given your health and your family history I definitely think it's worth it. DH had borderline high cholesterol and will find out next week what a difference 33 lbs. has made, but I am convinced it has to.
3. For me, the center makes a difference for the same reasons as above. I need to be accountable.

You know how fortunate you are to have such a supportive hubby (us doing it together has helped!). Of course everyone is different so I hate to say "Yeah--go for it" but I can speak for us and it was worth it.

So cheer up and know that whatever decision you make will work for you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Good Luck.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/258/200

I know too well about how discouraging battling your weight can be. Last year I weighed my highest at 292. I went a radical unhealthy diet route and lost 33 lbs in one month. Then I began having health problems. I gained 2o lbs back and was completely miserable. I found out in November that I have PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome) which makes your hormones go crazy and you insulin resistance. I had surgery in December and that helped me shed a few lbs, but I was still miserable. I hit my lowest point this March. I turned 27 and I have no husband or children. Not to mention I couldn't fit into any of my clothes. So, I took the advice of a friend and joined LAWL. I figured that I had tried everything else, so why not this. I have done really well until this week. I haven't been to my center and I am quickly losing motivation. I will encourage you to join. I do not regret any of the money, because it actually works. I can tell a difference in my clothes, and I feel better eating healthy. Each time you go to the center, you leave with more motivation and ideas. I think it is great. You have to do what is good for you and what you feel comfortable with. It is alot of money, but so are larger size clothing, medications for illnesses caused by being overweight, and surgeries. Just think of it as therapy and weight loss treatment wrapped into one visit. Good luck!

Nikki
1luckychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Loves saddlebreds
I quit smoking in december and joined lawl in Jan. Knowing I have to go wiegh in helps to keep me on track. I quit smoking over 10 years ago and gained 50 pounds. Then I started again a couple of years ago. As I tried to quit I was gaining weight. I deceided I was not going to gain a bunch this time so I joined lawl. My weightloss is a little slower but it is working. I think the stopping smoking slowed it down. The center does keep me accountable and the program doesn't cost any more then WW the difference is you pay the money up front and then if you maintain you get 1/2 back. It is up to you. I would suggest finding a buddy to do it with if you can it helps to keep you going. No offense to any one here but I know I have to meet my friend 3 time a week at the cod and step on that scale. I don't want to have the scale go up when someone I know is standing right behind me. She also helps me through the rought spots.
lak_55119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:01 AM   #7  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

Loves Saddlebreds,

It seems very discouraging at times, I know. I echo the sentiment of all the others - the 3x a week WI really seems to help. It's funny how the saying "familiarity breeds contempt" seems to fit. I would never hold myself this accountable to those people that really matter in my life. In fact, and we've all been there, when we have the diet police in our house, it just makes us angry.

We grump and grouse about the trolls at the center, but in reality, for most of us, knowing that they are going to fuss at us for something helps keep us in line.

We didn't gain our weight over night, and I don't think any of us expect to be an overnight success. (although we wish!! ) I feel that LAWL is a lifestyle change, and not a diet. Do I fear the long term? You bet. I have a large amount to lose, and will spend most of my year-long weight loss journey relearning how to eat. What will happen after that, is anyone's guess. I still crave the fried chicken, hot rolls, etc... that got me into this mess. I suppose I always will, and that's scary. But it's even scarier to think that my kids could grow up without me, because my weight is so unhealthy.

I think it's worth it, and you've seen the alternatives to buying the LAWL products. In many instances there are cheaper, effective alternatives out there.

Good luck on making the decision that is right for you!
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #8  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Saddlebreds...

I did this plan before I had my DD and now again to lose the baby weight. It is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. It is nice to have the accountability of the center. Honestly, these boards help me keep on track. I don't want to read and post when I'm off-track and I miss everyone too much to not read! So you guys keep me accountable as well.

As far as the cost, don't buy the Lites or the Supplements...you can buy luna bars and you don't need to buy their supplements. That will save you a TON of money! Just buy your weight loss weeks. You don't even have to buy the maintenance and stabilization weeks...that will save you lots as well. Just get what you can afford. You can even make your goal weight a little higher, only pay the center for that many weeks and then finish on your own. Or you can buy more weeks once you hit that first goal.

There are lots of options...hope this helps.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #9  
Princess Heather

Saddlebreds,
In my opinion I am doing better because I go to the LAWL center. Some people can do this program on their own, I am not one of those people. I know going to weigh in keeps me accountable. Even though I have reached the point that I don't like my center, I keep going because I know long term it's about me and being healthy! For me LAWL is expensive, but it's also cheaper than weight loss surgery, which was my next option. Do this for yourself and you kids and DH, but mostly do it for you! And as far as DH not being concerned about the money....go to a center near the mall in case you need retail therapy after a weigh in! LOL
Hang in there and let us know what you decide. And we are all here to support you in your weight loss journey!

PS. I am so envious of your horse riding and showing! I have loved horses my whole life...but never was able to get involved in riding!
CandlePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 152/147/120

I know what you are going through! I did the same thing except I started with a COD and met my goal then gained over half of it back in 3 months! Going to WI really helped me stay accountable and they also encouraged me. Now I am back on the plan without using a COD. Some of my girlfriends here at work have decided we will weigh in with one another 2 times a week. Hopefully this will keep me on track this time around! You could try to find someone to WI with a couple of times a week and I think that will keep you just as accountable. Plus if it's a good friend they will keep you motivated.
love2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Loves Saddlebreds:

I enjoy going to my COD. Joining LAWL makes me accountable. I didn't want to waste our money, and by having to prepay for my weeks, that keeps me motivated and going each week to weigh in.

The decision will ultimately be yours. It's great that you have such a supportive husband!!

in your decision!!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Good luck on this year's show circuit from the other Saddlebred lover on this board!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #13  

Thanks Steph - I leave for River Ridge on Tuesday and show Thursday evening in the Amateur 5-Gaited Mares class. I am getting a little tense, this is my first show in 20 years - I'm just hoping to do 5 gaits in both directions with no mistakes ! My mare is such a sweetheart though, if I just stay out of her way - she'll handle the rest ...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Most of my barn is at JD Massey this week. I'm getting up the nerve to show in my first academy class since I was 14 next month. IF that goes well and IF I get the promotion I am up for, I'm going to start shopping around for a horse. I think I'm finally ready!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #15  

What barn do you ride at? I live in Charlotte NC and take lessons from both Ingleside Farm (Heather Boody) and Chestnut Lane Farm (John Whalen) - they are both at JD Massey this week. My mare is in training at Diamond View Farm (Matt Shiflet) in West Virginia.