Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #1  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Default Ellipticals

This question is for anyone who owns an elliptical. I do apologize if this topic is posted elsewhere. Anyway, I am looking to purchase one. I am looking for something low-mid price range (under $1500). I want something reliable and good quality. I have done so much research that my head hurts and am still not even close to making a decision. So, if you own one or have an opinion at all about one, PLEASE let me know. I really would like to purchase one soon. It is becoming way too difficult to get my heart rate up without running....and I HATE running because it causes me lots of PAIN! Anyway, please give me some ideas or a direction I could go in. If this topic is posted somewhere else, please guide me to it. Thanks so much for your help. I do appreciate it so much!
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  
Determined

I don't own one but the one I use at my gym is on sale for 854.99 at Sears (was just there looking at one today). It's the ProForm Interactive. Based on your price range you could afford to throw in some free weights and maybe a bike too and have your own little home gym. I can't wait till I get my house so I can do that.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Check the warranties before you buy. Suzanne recently bought a treadmill, and she compared the warranties from Sears versus one from Play It Again Sports (It was new). If the Sears treadmill broke, she would have to return it to be fixed! Can you imagine shipping off a treadmill? The one from PIAS included a warranty that would have the repairman come to her.

I can't recommend a good home model, but I do strongly suggest that you only buy one that you can physically try out to see if the stride is right for you. I've been on some that are downright painful on my knees because the stride is too short, or because the pedals are slanted in the wrong position.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #4  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

I had a NordicTrack CX 938 Elliptical and I loved it. At first it seemed as if the stride was odd - and the pedals seem to be a farther apart than the ones I use at my gym - but it was great to have it at the house and it wasn't rough to adjust to the stride. It was very sturdy and I never needed any service on it for the past 3 years that I had it. I work out mostly in the gym now so I passed my elliptical on to a friend.
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #5  
Arrived!

I have a Horizons brand elliptical that is pretty good. We bought it last year and at the time we paid about $1000.00 for it. The thing I like about it is that it has a smooth, clean motion with no bounce.

Hope this helps.

~Silvervixen
SilverVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I bought the Image 8.0 Elliptical. It's great and only cost me $210.00. I clock about 5000 - 9000 steps per workout and work out on it 4 - 5 days a week. I bought it at Walmart in December after Christmas.

It has 10 resistance levels, offers 4 intense training programs. Offers the 10,000 steps program. Lets you increase your "set-steps" by 500 steps at a time. Has a pulse monitor and clocks your calories, time and miles.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 160.5/158.5/135

I have one got it half price at Superstore $150. I know it's probably not the best quality but I love using it. It's very quiet. I watch tv while I'm using it. It makes it nuch easier if my attentiuon isn't on how tired I am getting lol I go for 30 minutes every evening.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote