UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #1  
Queen of Chaos!

Default Under active thyroid

Hi folks, I've just been to the quacks to get a repeat prescription of an anti depressant I've been on since last year, I mentioned to him that I feel really tired all the time, to the point where given the opportunity I could happily go back to bed right now ans probably not get up til tea time (!) I thought it was maybe a side effect of the pills, but he suggested that I get some bloods done to check my thyroid. Having just done a wee surf to find out what the symptoms are I can't believe that no one has thought to test me before! I'm actually hoping that it is what the problem is, that means at least I can do something about it (and my weight!) at last.
I just wondered if anyone here has been tested, what your original symptoms were and whether or not your results were as expected? I know I eat too much and exercise too little, but if there is an underlying problem that has been effecting my metabolism and motivation it could explain why I'm finding it so tough to lose any weight!!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:29 AM   #2  

When I tell my doc(s) I'm tired all the time doc one will blame it on the anti d's and doc two will say it is nothing to do with the anti d's. I had an everything test about three years ago and since then nowt.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #3  

I've been tested for thyroid ages ago and i was hoping that the problem really was that but nope unfortunately.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I get tested for thyroid about every two years. I am 'borderline'. Everytime I see a new doctor they always test me for thyroid because they say I've got large eyes and a wider than average neck. I don't know what the significance is because I've always had the same eyes and neck....

I always get asked about tiredness but its not really a problem for me - I do get tired but I think my level of tiredness is normal for the way I live my life.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:51 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm always tired, but I think that's cos I'm always working out...

mystic, I hope they can help you out
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #6  
Heather/Caterpillar

I'm told that sea kelp tablets can help because it might not be that your thyroid isn't up to the job but that you aren't feeding it properly, one of the B vitamins (I forget which!) is needed for thyroid function and if you don't give it enough of that you get all the symptoms of having an underactive thyroid. Kelp tablets can help because they contain loads of that B vitamin. You can get a small bottle for about £2 at Holland and Barrett, I recommended them to my ex's dad and he felt a lot better on them, he lost a stone in the first month on them without changing anything else. I'm not saying they will work for everyone but might be worth a go...
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #7  
Queen of Chaos!

Thanks all.
Heather you are the second person that's mentioned Kelp to me, so there must be something in it!
I get my bloods taken a week today (they are also checking for diabetes and a cholesterol count) I won't get the result for at least another week after that as the doc's on hols, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #8  
Reluctant Adult

Heyla, mystic,

I'm not from the UK but have been on thyroid hormone since I was 27 (I'm now 49), and I think this is a universal medical problem -- so I thought I'd reply.

My symptoms were dry, listless hair, inattentiveness, weight gain, enlarged thyroid gland, extreme tiredness... the classics. Thyroid medication helped all the symptoms but I've struggled with my weight ever since I was diagnosed. Thyroid medication will make losing weight easier, but it's unlikely the weight will just fall off. Mine hasn't, anyway! But at least when I pay attention to what I'm eating and exercise properly, it does come off like it's supposed to.

Once I failed to fill my prescription for they thyroid hormone replacement for a couple of months... I got so stupid, I couldn't finish a sentence. If you find you need the thyroid hormone, take it religiously!

Good luck and all the best, Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #9  
Queen of Chaos!

Thanks Rae, that's really useful to know.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #10  
Queen of Chaos!

Well I spoke to the receptionist today and a letter is on it's way to me to tell me that I DO have an underactive thyroid!!
I've an appointment to see the quack next wednesday (he's on holiday just now) to discuss it.
I still can't believe this is the first doctor that's thought of testing me!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

I get my test results tomorrow as well. I've been searching the net for the symptoms and I seem to have some from both under AND over active thyroid.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #12  
Consistency + Balance

Its underactive and the doctor has prescribed me the minimum dosage of whatever it is I need. Its a pain in the because I've got to go back every week for the next four weeks and have my BP taken AND have another (more comprehensive) blood test done at the end of the four weeks THEN I've got to make an appointment to see him again to discuss it.

This wouldn't normally be a problem except that I waited for an hour and three quarters to see him today. My appointment was for 10.30 and I finally got in to see him at 12.15!

I wish I hadn't changed doctors now!
Old 04-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #13  
Queen of Chaos!

That's ridiculous! I'm always early for appointments so it pees me off if I have to wait. I thought there was a patients charter for that sort of stuff?!
I see my doc next Wednesday, it will be interesting to compare notes with you to see if the treatment is similar!!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #14  
Heather/Caterpillar

Yeah there is, in theory you aren't supposed to be kept waitiong for more than 30 minutes...whether it works in practice is a different matter!
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote