Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 AM   #1  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

Default Medications and foods that affect hair and skin?

I have noticed something really strange. My hair, which was always wavy, is becomming rather straight. My skin is also dry, my nails brittle. But I take a multivitamin and I think I get enough protein.

Does anyone know any good foods for hair and skin? Or medications that could affect hair in strange ways? I am on a number of medications: Lyrica, flexeril, baclofen, provigil, clairitin, guiafenesin with sudafed, flonase, astelin, advair, cymbalta.

If its a medication maybe there is something I could work into my diet that would balance things out?

Any ideas?
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #2  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

Wow! You have quite the laundry list of medications. i'm not sure if any of them are related to any adverse skin and hair conditions, but I do have a couple of questions.

Do you drink plenty of water? I know that's basic, but it's important for healthy skin stuff. Also, as per your diet -- are you getting plenty of protein and vitamins A & E? I've had my hair go dry and brittle and ultimately fall out due to malnourishment. A multivitamin is good, but nutrients straight from the food itself are even better!

Also, Biotin is a mineral that you should look out for when choosing supplements -- it's related to hair and skin health.

I hope that you can find some resolution with these issues soon! Take good care.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #3  
Kyethra

I have been trying to get more protein in lately and eating fruit more and some veggies. Also I just got a new multivitamin that is designed for hair and skin.

My doctor says it not the medications and thinks something hormonal is going on. I need to go in for more tests and will probably see a dermatologist and an endocronologist. Right now my body hair has stopped growing and my scalp is so dry I only wash my hair twice a week (down from evey other day) and moisturize everything like I am dehydrated.

I do drink a lot, but probably not quite as much as I should.

I have found if I make green ice tea with splenda and them water it down that is good to drink or watered down crystal light when I am not in a water mood.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

This might sound counterproductive to dieting, but are you getting enough fat in your diet? I've been told that you need at least 10-15% of your calories to come from fat (good fats, of course) in order for your body to function properly.

I had problems with dry skin and hair when I first started to lose weight. Then, I started using FitDay and started paying attention to the percentage of my diet that comes from fat, protein, and carbs. I was only getting something like 10% of my daily calories from fat. Now, I try to stick around 20% fat, 35% protein, and 45% carbs. The hair and skin dryness went away.
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #5  
Caution: Wide Load

S/C/G: Huge/Big/Average

Be sure that you are getting enough dairy in your diet as well.
Ms. Shapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

Hiya...I know that anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen can make your hair thinner - are any of the meds that you listed anti-inflams?
Lyndyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #7  
Kyethra

No, they aren't.

I was supposed to see my doctor today but I overslept. Story of my life. I am also going to see a derm once I make an apointment.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Try supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids, for great skin and health. Of course, check with your doctor to make sure you won't have any drug interactions. Good luck!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #9  
Mel

Quote:
I was supposed to see my doctor today but I overslept
Have you had your thyroid levels tested? The levels of good fat in your diet immediately came to mind when I read your post, but if you are also tired and oversleeping, I'd ask your doc to run a COMPLETE thyroid panel.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #10  
Really need to lose!

S/C/G: 255/255/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyethra
I was supposed to see my doctor today but I overslept. Story of my life. I am also going to see a derm once I make an apointment.
I would also strongly suggest that you have your doctor check for diabetes, since high glucose levels in the blood cause sleepiness and fatigue. I am diabetic and have found that I have extremely dry skin, my hair has thinned to the point that I don't leave the house without a wig and if my blood sugar levels go too high, I can't stay awake. I would definitely recommend that you see an endocrinologist to see about diabetes among other hormonal problems.
WannaBeFit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #11  
stbakd

drink lots of water. it will help with your dry skin. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 AM   #12  
Kyethra

I am starting to do better now. Turns out the issue was my estrogen levels. I was not getting enough estrogen. I am on the nuva ring- I have been for a couple of years. It is a lower hormone form of birth control. Now I also had been having some gynecological symptoms- my period was comming later and later and lighter and lighter and other things. But I had seen the gyno twice and she said not to worry. The thyroid tests my doctor was sure would be positive, it runs in my family, were negative. So at first we were stumped But when I mentioned that the gynecological issues were getting worse along with everything else at a good rate, the light bulb went off. She said that people who have naturally high estrogen levels, like me, (based on history and physical attributes- I was likely to be high estrogen) might get the estrogen deficiency. If it was sudden, then I would have known the first month or two. But the more common kind is where it builds up over time and you feel like you are going through menopause. Because I take provigil, I can't take an oral pill because of risk of decreased effectiveness and with my history of cysts I really need to be on this type of hormonal birth control. So we added oral estrogen in. After a few days I felt a bit peppier. Now I am feeling more like me. My skin has returned to normal, mostly. My body hair is growing again, and my scalp is slowly getting oilier and the hair texture istarting to change back. Other things are also returning to normal. My blood surger almost always comes back normal these days, but growing up I was hypoglycemic. I had the hereditary kind which a lot of people outgrow. But every now and then it does act up. And that reminded me of some of the nutritional things I followed back when I was a teen and it was hellish. I have started eating tons of protein, I try to get a good dose of it every few hours and I feel so much better when I get enough. It really helps with the engery/motivation issues. I also take fish oil supplements when I remember.

I still need to see an endocronologist at some point- probably in a couple of months when I can afford to and see about the best ways to handle the estrogen issue long term, etc.