UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/161/139???

Height: 5' 3"

Default Nice things to do with cottage cheese

Hi,

I've seen people mention lots of nice sweet and savoury recipes with cottage cheese over the past few months when I've dropped in! It's not something I usually buy or particularly like but somehow (DH- not sure why!) I have a tub in the fridge.

Can you give me some hints and tips?
Clareh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #2  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

use it instead of cheese, like with ham in sandwich. or in a fajita whith chicken
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

on toast its gorgeous. and for the more adventurous on toast/bread with marmite.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #4  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Make protein pancakes with it. I use 1 serving quaker oats, 1 serving cottage cheese, 3 egg whites, cinnamon and chopped walnuts. Put ingredients in blender and blend for a few seconds until mixed. Makes 1 huge pancake that I usually have for breakfast. Tastes good too!

I like my cottage cheese best mixed with canned pineapple bits.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #5  
Queen of Chaos!

Use it instead of white sauce in a lasagne - deeeelish!!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #6  
Heather/Caterpillar

Errr...feed it to the dog?
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Whip it up with sweetner and a little vanilla essence and use it as a sort of 'cream' on top of chopped fresh fruit - or on top of microwaved apple topped with toasted oats (makes a sort of apple crumble).

Whip it up a bit and add finely chopped onion, garlic, chilli powder, cayenne and other herbs or spices and use it in place of sour cream as a salad dressing or dip.

I haven't tried this but I've read that you can dissolve one sachet of diet jelly in 8 fluid ounces of boiling water, allow it to cool a little and then whiz up the mixture with the same amount of cottage cheese. The lemon/lime one is supposed to be very nice done like this - something like cheesecake middle.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #8  

I use it once with a jacket spud pretending it is soured cream (yum!) but then conveeniently forget it is there. Funnily enough, it never happens to chocolate, does it??!!

I think the pancake thing is a good idea because that would completely disguise the horrible stuff.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I like it in jacket potatoes,

I also like it on jam on toast... then grill it till the cheese melts just a tiny bit!

BTW I'm tucking into bananas, oats and blendered and splendered cottage cheese!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #10  

I was just wondering how many calories are in that pancake? And how much cottage cheese etc? I am in desperate need of more protein in my diet, but I am not a fan of cottage cheese, I dont like the texture.

Sorry if this is inconvenient.

Mel X
Poiple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

I have the pancake for breakfast topped with nuked frozen berries and it works out to about 350 including the fruit. The recipe is half a cup oats, half a cup VFF cottage cheese and 3 egg whites mix well in a liquidiser or similar and then let stand for a couple of minutes then cook in a non stick pan sprayed with that FryLight stuff. The cals include 80g of frozen blueberries or 100g of frozen raspberries. An American 'cup' is 8 fluid ounces.

You can also add in different things like walnuts, almonds, linseeds, cinnamon, etc, but remember to add in the cals for the extras.

Oh - and I haven't done this myself - but I have read on the LWL forum that you can pre-cook them and they keep okay wrapped incling film for a few days.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I pre-cook mine and bung 'em in the freezer, once defrosted they're fine for a day or two! They're also amazingly like chocolate cake if you put cocoa powder in them and cook them in a smaller pan, so they're thicker
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #13  
Consistency + Balance

Mine turn out looking a bit like a very large scotch pancake. I whiz mine a lot so the oats breakdown in to a kind of oat flour. I must try them with cocoa powder in - does it make a big difference with the calories?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #14  
Consistency + Balance

I forgot - I've also whizzed it up and added it to dry-fried bacon, peppers, garlic and onions, added oregano then warmed it through and used it as a sauce with pasta.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #15  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Poiple, my pancake comes out at about 300 cals and about 20g of protein. I've read that some people like to put a scoop of protein powder in theirs too, which would really bump up your protein intake, I haven't tried that though.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote