Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Dieting while bedridden

Hi all! I'm looking for ideas of things I can eat while confined to bed. I broke my foot last week and per doctor's orders, am now unable to get out of bed. I'm not a really big exerciser anyway, but normally am on the go all the time so at least it keeps me moving. Now though, I'm afraid of gaining weight because all I can do is sit.

Three years ago I did the same thing (although that injury wasn't nearly as bad as this current one) and gained 15-20 pounds over a few months due to sheer inactivity. I refuse to let that happen again.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm trying to stick with lean proteins, vegetables and fruit. I have a pair of hand weights that I can use as well as a resistance band to play with while lying here. What I want though is a big coke and a package of Fig Newtons.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #2  
Mel

Last time I was immobile I went through a lot of those pre-made sugar free jello packages. Satisfied my need to nibble non-stop, but didn't do me in calorically.

Don't forget the water, even though it's a pain to have to get up!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #3  

Well I don't have any great ideas but wish you well. I hope that you will not be stuck in bed too long.
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 335/305/150ish

I would think what ever movement you can do without hurting your self is better then not and watching what you eat, althought I know its easy to snack cause your bored and all.
Hey if you continue drinking the water, think of all the exercise you wil lget running to the bathroom and back!

Keep well
sandi
Sandi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

hi Sandi-

I just went through what you are going through. I broke my ankle in January and am just now mid april mobile again. I gained 8 lbs over that time. What I did was really try to watch what I took in and I did arm exercises or leg raises when I could. The cast wil add some weight to the leg. I am now just mobile and starting slowly with legs abs and arms all none weight bearing still. It is a long recovery and I wish you well. If you would like to keep in touch feel free to message me.

Good Luck and Feel better
Nikki
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/305/150ish

HI Nikki
I dont think 8 lbs is too bad
and I bet much of that is water too.
How are you handling being bored and in bed?
Do you like reading>?
Where are you in NY? Im in flushing Queens.
Beautiful day here today.
Would love to stay in touch
sandi
Sandi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

I read alot and was online alot while confined to bed. I also do needle work so I finished a few projects. I am out on Long Island and it is absolutely gorgeous today.
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote