Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhh this PLATEAU!!!

Every day I think maybe this will be the day I zap another pound... it's only been two weeks and one pound lost. I know people hit much longer plateaus and I certainly hope mine isn't much longer.

Patience patience patience... yah right! Maybe today........................
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Hang in there! I'm actually going through a similar time myself. My current short time goal is to reach 130, which was my lowest adult weight, but I can't quite reach it. I'm hovering in the low 130's and the lowest I've been able to manage is 130 and a half! That is so frustrating and it's been like that for at least a couple weeks as well. I'm changing my eating habits a bit to try and get things to progress more quickly. Oh well, I know it will happen eventually, so I'm trying to stave off my impatience. Good luck!
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  

1 lb in two weeks is perfectly healthy.. no even sure it counts as a plateau if you actually lost something (checking weight loss rules and regulations manual!) Hang in there, it's I know it's hard when things are slow. I usually lose .5 a week..anything other then that is a GREAT week Double check your eating, make sure there isn't too much sodium...if you are sore from working out, your muscles could be retaining water to help them repair... you know the usual suspects.
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ya know those scales like the old pharmacists used to use? The balance? Like the Libra sign And you know it's all about calories in vs calories used. Maybe it's just time for you to adjust your scale. Ejm has a point about checking your foods, measuring things. Amd maybe just put a bit more oomph in your exercise.
Besides that, you were right in the first place two weeks is not long. Patience!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

OMG! Plateaus! I seem to hit a plateau and stay on it for 3 weeks or more! I decided to get some help this time, and everyone says to step it up a bit in the exercise department. I had been walking my dogs 4.3 miles/day 5 days/week. I changed it around to 30 minutes on my NordicTrak plus a 2.5 mile dog walk 5 days/week AND added some free weights (nothing much, 3 and 5 pounders) to tone my upper body (I think my lower body is doing fine with all the walking). I also incorporated situps. This has really helped!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #6  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

u could be replacing fat with muscle, ur better off measuring yourself when you hit times like these. Or you may need to put more oomph in your workout
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #7  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Misti, don't sweat the small stuff! I hit a plateau for 2 weeks back in February, then to make matters worse I GAINED THREE POUNDS! Here we are a couple months later and for some reason the weight is just melting off me. I guess I must be doing something right, huh? Keep them feet movin' and stick to your eating plan! Do the right stuff and the scale will love you
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #8  
LLV

They don't really consider it a true plateau until you've been stalled for more than 3 weeks. 2 weeks isn't enough to be considered a plateau stage. Now, if you get like me and stay at the same weight for a whole month, then you can start worrying.

lol
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #9  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm
if you are sore from working out, your muscles could be retaining water to help them repair...
Maybe thats why I have been losing slower now that I have been walking more... should I give my body a break from walking? I usually do an hour walking at 3.5... it works up a good sweat! I am not totally sore the next but I can feel it a bit.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Wow, you guys talk about plateaus like it is one if you just don't lose for a week or two Try talking to people (like me) who have REALLY hit plateaus! I went from early August through mid-October with no real weight change despite that fact that I was exercising and very strictly counting calories (I haven't lost any weight recently, either, but I am not exercising and have been eating more processed foods, so I don't consider it a plateau at all, just my own laziness). And even THAT was a short plateau compared to what a lot of women go through!

Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, even a month without weight loss isn't that big a deal. Remember that the closer you get to goal the more reluctant your body will be to let the weight go! A few weeks of no weight change could just be your body adjusting, not necessarily a plateau. Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing everything right and don't lose an ounce for a few weeks, but then it randomly catches up to me in the form of a MAJOR loss one week.

It is all very frustrating, but our bodies don't always do what we want them to do, and losing weight consistently every single week is just practically impossible
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #11  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

I was at 136 for 6 weeks before breaking through and dropping 2 lbs. It sucks but it will start again.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
[COLOR=indigo]
Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, even a month without weight loss isn't that big a deal.
I've gone longer than a month. 6-8 weeks at the same weight. However, I don't really let it bother me because I know I'm losing at a much slower pace now. I just keep doing what I'm doing because I'll be doing it the rest of my life. Let it be known, though, that I hit many of these plateaus BEFORE I got closer to goal. Lots of them. I call myself the Plateau Queen.

Now, freaking out over not losing anything after one or two weeks, yes, that's a little extreme and not necessary. But not everyone is aware - especially those new to weight loss - that these are not really plateaus. We get impatient. I've been there and I'm sure most people here have been there as well. And yes, it can be frustrating when you don't see the scale move for a couple of weeks. You've been there before, too, right?

When I first started my weight loss journey, I had to learn many new things and one of them was that you can't really claim the plateau theory until you've been stalled for at least 3 weeks or more. But at first I didn't know that. If I'd go just one week without losing anything, I'd get pissed off. But that's when I was a 'newbie' at weight loss. Time, patience and educating myself is what I needed.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL believe me... I certainly never meant to be taken as freaking out nor placing myself on a serious plateau. Good grief! Can't a woman ask for a little sympathy once in a while? And overall I think I have a pretty good attitude and so does my best friend LOL.

I appreciate the great advice and caring comments... thanks! I'm doing great actually, and did lose another pound today; so I'm really not off track... was just experiencing a bit of frustration. Certainly never intended to come across as though I was having major conniptions over it LOLOL

Actually I am very happy with my progress.. my weight loss, exercising and eating plan! I was really surprised today when I calculated out my aerobic steps per minute... I walked a total of aerobic steps 83 minutes and averaged 109 steps per minute! Wow I was hoping for over 60!! Oh and I have already cut way back on salt to lower my blood pressure, and am drinking lots of water. I appreciate all the positive advice... thanks for caring!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-11-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:28 AM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Let it be known, though, that I hit many of these plateaus BEFORE I got closer to goal.
haha, my plateau that I mentioned (nearly 3 months) was at about 280 pounds--definitely not anywhere near my goal! But regardless of how close you are to goal, our bodies sometimes just need some time to adjust and catch up to changes, OR our bodies have settled into the new patterns we've set, so we need to shake it up a bit by changing our new routine (whether it's adjusting our caloric intake or mixing up our exercise). If only we could just step outside of our bodies for a moment and have a nice chat with them explaining what we need it to do for us
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:49 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

for Misti - yay for your loss and HECK YES it's frustrating when the scales don't go your way!

I've been plateaued for over a year! So don't get me started on plateuas!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote