South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #1  

Question Limp Celery

OK, I don't if this happens to you chicks or not but you buy a bunch of celery and within 3 to 4 days it's limp and and in my opinion so inedible you have to pitch it. I only like celery if it's really nice and crisp. I've been storing it in my fridge's produce crisper drawer so, I don't know what gives. Anybody got any good ideas how to keep it crisp longer??

Thanks

Sue
Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I leave mine in the wrapper in the crisper and have not had that problem. Maybe you could wrap yours loosely in plastic wrap and see how that works.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #3  

You might also try cutting up the limp celery and putting it in a bowl of cold water overnight in the fridge. I have a Tupperware container made specifically to hold celery and carrot pieces so they stay fresh in water. It would be worth a try before tossing it out.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #4  

The best way to keep your celery crisp is to top and tail it when you get it fresh from your grocer or farmer.. to wash it and place it wet either in a tupperware container or to wrap it in aluminium foil. It should last about 3 weeks if your rinse it every few days and pop it back in wet to the container or foil.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #5  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Mine stays crisp forever as long as I keep it sealed in the wrapper it came in and keep it in the crisper. If you want to "revive" it before eating soak it in ice water for about 10 min. It does wonders!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #6  

I leave the base on it but trim the tops a bit, then wrap the whole thing in 2 layers of paper towel and put it back into its plastic bag, tied loosely. Stays crisp for at least the whole week - it's usually gone by then so I don't know if it will keep longer.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #7  
South Beach Goddess

S/C/G: 191/158/145

I have that problem, too. The fridge at my new house does not do well with celery at all so I haven't been buying it unless I know I'll use it ASAP & I love celery! I might try some of these tips. Lettuce doesn't do that great either but (this is odd) if I leave it Out of the crisper, it stays o.k. Weird. I hate my fridge.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #8  

If it does get limp, it is still fine for soups and stuff like jambalaya. I just slice it up and put it into a bag in the freezer and add it next time I need some.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #9  

Thank you all for the great tips!! I never thought to wrap in celery in a damp paper towel though I had heard about reviving it in ice water. Obviously, I'm no Martha Stewart !!

Sue
Old 04-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'll try to remember to move this thread into cooking tips tomorrow.
Closed Thread