Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Default Food Pushers (you know what Im talking about)

My husband.. where do I begin. He does a majority of our food shopping and what does he buy, Fritos, Pepsi, and frozen pizza. Every week he goes out and buys this junk even though i make out a list and request this or that this is what he comes home with, and he'll say "well honey I knew fritos were your favorite" Its like yeah keyword is (WERE)! I know that I could do the shopping but he insist on doing it. Its like he wants to push this junk on me to keep me from my goal. Has anyone else had a similar problem with people bringing junk food around them when they know the other is on a "diet"?
Lady Jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My husband and kids bring junk food into the house that I am no longer eating. Since I am the one trying to lose weight, I don't begrudge them having what they want. I would definitely want to do my own shopping to be able to have the right food accessible. Sometimes the men in our lives are a little (LOT) sensitive about us wanting to look and feel better. It makes some men insecure. Good luck and keep going
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I know can live with foods in the house that I usually avoid if I've established routine, control, and other patterns. But now I am not able to do this.. Recently I threw out everything that I knew would stare me in the face every time I opened the frig or pantry. After telling my family what I did, I asked them not to bring in anything until I knew I could handle it.

So far they have honored my request. I know I am not ready to have junk in the house yet. Last night thanks to TOM I was looking for comfort food. If there had been anyting anywhere in sight, I would have dived in.. I swear I dreamt of pound cake topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries. A nice dessert yes.. but I know I would have devoured a whole pound cake if it were here.

The problem is a certain relative who doesn't live here. She tried to give me some sweets for my children (my youngest is almost 18... the oldest is away at college). She was upset that I wouldn't take what she had bought. She thinks I am selfish for not allowing it in the house for people who do want it.

I DO NOT feel guilty. I have make accommodations for my family's needs for more than 2 decades. There is nothing wrong with doing for myself what I would gladly do for them.

If I were a recovering alcoholic she wouldn't insist on bringing beer over for my husband. If I were a reformed smoker I know she wouldn't allow anyone to smoke around me. Why it is different for food?

I've put my foot down. She will have to get over it.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

If your family is willing to honor your request, that's great and you are fortunate! If they were objecting it would be one thing; but I certainly would not worry about what someone who doesn't even LIVE there thinks!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
If your family is willing to honor your request, that's great and you are fortunate! If they were objecting it would be one thing; but I certainly would not worry about what someone who doesn't even LIVE there thinks!!
Thanks Misti.. I am not worried about what she thinks in this case because like many other people in our society she has good intentions but does not understand. I can muster up behaviors to protect myself outside my home, but home is my safe place. I should be able to relax and know that when I open the pantry to get ingredients for dinner I will not have to protect myself from a jar of biscotti! Unguard, you biscotti!
Old 04-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

Hey, I know exactly what you mean! My mom does that to me... and my mom's bf occasionally takes us out for food and he'll ask "why aren't you eating something bigger? That's not going t fill you up!" And I could only WISH that one day everyone will encourage everybody else to eat healthily. My grandmother is always buying snacks t fill the pantry. She usually doesn't eat them, so she puts them there to haunt me. "Oh take some of these....."
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #7  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

I have a problem with my boss. He is constantly asking me if I want anything when he goes to get lunch. When I say no he hounds me. If he sees what I eat for lunch he will say "Come on, we are both big people and I know you aren't getting enough with that little bit." Sometimes he will offer me snacks and when I say no thanks I'm not hungry he will say "To us big people ther is no such thing as not hungry". Just because I am fat doesnt mean I'm not hungry. I have been doing very good by sticking to my plan but when someone is always there with food you know you love what do you do. . . . .
RRVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #8  

I know those fritos are sitting in my pantry calling to me Im hoping that my hubby ends up eating them soon. He's one of those types that can sit and eat an entire back a chips and a two liter of soda every day and never gain an ounce.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jackyl
I know those fritos are sitting in my pantry calling to me Im hoping that my hubby ends up eating them soon. He's one of those types that can sit and eat an entire back a chips and a two liter of soda every day and never gain an ounce.
If you must live with them in the house when you don't want to we'll have to come up with some solutions...

1. Could you place them in a cupboard convenient to your family that you do not have to open?

2. How about asking your husband to buy these items in very small individual packages and making a rule that opened packages on the shelf are not allowed? Encourage him not to finish anything if he doesn't want to but to simply throw it out when he has eaten what he wants.

Anyone else?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #10  

LOL I was thinking about this little mini safe we have that has a padlock on it and he has the only key maybe that would keep me from them
Old 04-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #11  

I wonder if throwing them away--and having him deal with the issue of wasting money, effort of buying them, time spent to buy them, etc--would be enough of a shake-up to grab his attention?
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hate to say it but you may just have to develop enough willpower not to eat the stuff.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #13  
I restore Teeth.

a lot of times, people encourage others to eat unhealthy foods so that it wouldn;t make them feel or look bad if others had it with them. This doesn't just apply to "big people", but I used to know this anorexic girl that would crave an oreo but then made SURE someone was going to eat one with her. SHe's grab this friend of mine and ask "If I have an oreo, you're gonna have an oreo with me right?" Once, my friend sarah wanted me eat something and she even had to encourage me like a baby "Now, when I take one bite, you'll take a bite too, right? Here we go....."
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217.8 / 172 / 140

one of my good friends at work is my ex's sister. she's actually how i met him - but that's a whole other story...anyways - we get two 20 minute breaks at work every day - and she and i (along with my roommate & other best friend) all eat together...and the ex's sister eats a HUGE brownie (with a bowl of strawberries or melon) during our first break and then a pizza or a panini or whatever else her mother (who works in a different department) buys her for lunch (second break) - and i THINK because of the fact that i DID date her brother and i WAS a part of the family - and she ACTS like she's our 50 year old mother instead of our 32 year old friend (i'm 26) - she is CONSTANTLY, "why aren't you eating??? you need to eat" if i don't bring anything with me. and i've TOLD her about my weight issues, shown her the pictures - told her over and over again WHY try to live a healthy lifestyle - and i've even compared it to something she'd understand - food to me is an addiction - just like her brother's drug habit - and she STILL wouldn't let up. and i've also honestly TRIED not to eat during both breaks - but i've learned that in order to get her to shut up - i need to bring something small for the first break (usually a 1/2 cup cereal & skim milk or a banana or whatever else i can get away with snacking on that's not something HUGE and it makes her happy to see me eat and she doesn't say anything. so i've learned to "work with them" so to say...cuz normally i'm the kind that does whatever i'm doing and i try not to care what anyone else says - but when it gets annoying - i'll figure a way around it.
Ultimategurrl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #15  

Ok, you have two choice, YOU insist and do the shopping, or YOU start throwing out unopened packages and waste money. When he sees you are NOT going to eat the stuff and are wasting money throwing out new food, he may stop it. How much communication is there between you about this? It is not so much about will power as it is about putting down guidelines and insisting on them. You don't want to deprive those in your family who wish to eat junk stuff or things you can't have, but you should not have to put up with insensitivity and I am sorry he is being insensitive if you are asking and he keeps on bringing it home. If you have repeatedly tried to get through to him and making no headway then I suggest the wasting food thing and he will soon get the idea. If it is hard for you to just throw it in the trash, then open the bags and put it down the disposal, open the bag and dump something nasty on it like pepper or lots of salt, anything to make it inedible.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote