Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #1  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

Smile Did anyone actually....

Did any of you ladies actually consult your dr before doing Atkins or did you just do it? AND if you did go to the dr, what was their opinion on the atkins diet.
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

nope

when I went for my yearly, both him and his nurse wanted to know what I did, how I did it....both were amazed when they seen me. Both congratulated me on my efforts and my eating plan.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

No I didn't consult before hand, but when I did go to the doctor part way through they asked too about how I did it. They took my cholesterol levels at that time and my triglycerides were down to the 70s (they had been as high as 500 a few years prior to that before I had started dieting at all).

The lady I was talking to explained that the triglyceride numbers were a direct result of doing Atkins.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #4  

Nope. Probably shoud have, but I didnt.
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #5  

Nah - I consider it more as a disclaimer anyhow. But anyone who has regular health issues should check to see if it would be harmful.
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #6  
Susan hockeyfan7

Nope -- why spend $30 to have them tell me do what I want?
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

yes!

I went in to discuss weight loss options and my doctor suggested Atkins. He said that he had several patients who sucessfully lost weight with it and that it might be a good option. He recommended the 20 carb a day thing, etc. etc.

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #8  
TemporaryFatChick

Yes, sort of LOL. It was the results of a visit to my doctor that convinced me to try Atkins. She told me she wanted to see me back every three months or so for lipids, just to make sure that things were ok. When I went back in January my total cholesterol had dropped to 140, triglycerides to 57, weight down, BP down, etc. She was thrilled
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 335/305/150ish

The many Drs. I have been to, whom I told that I was ON Atkins, at best they were 100% supportive and worse said good!
They all said Being over weight was worse then any diet I was on.
Sandi
Sandi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

I'm the bad one I never consulted the Dr on my diet or on any exercise program I ever embarked on. I had someone recommend I get an electro cardio gram before I started running, but I never did that either. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have liver failure, and saw my doctor last June. I weighed 234 at the time and he told me that I had to lose weight to be eligible for a transplant. He told me to "get on a low-carb diet and stick to it". I started Atkins the very next day. When I went to see him 4 months later he said he was very happy with my weight loss and he started saying how great South Beach diet is. I explained to him that I am on Atkins. He said that was fine and to just keep doing what I am doing, because it is working. Went back again in Feb. and had lost another 31 lbs. and he was again very pleased. I think I eat healthier now than I ever did, and have lost a total of 75lbs. In the general forum, I hear a lot of people say that Carbs don't make you fat, I do know that drastically reducing them helps make me thinner. This plan has been a god-send for me. Low-fat, Low-cal diets made me feel like I was starving, but on Atkins , I feel full and am still able to lose weight. This is not too restrictive to me and I feel like it will be manageable for life.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #12  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

LillyBelle you have done great so far. I agree to many people they don't make you fat it is just how much you eat of them! LOL But they do react in your body and create the avenue to make you fat.

As for me I did not consult my Doc I see them most every day My real doc is a vegan and the one I see NP is not so she is the one I told I was doing low carb, She says she want to see me, and I tell her after I lost 50 then i will go back I will only go back if I am healthy, not if I have problem. Then she rolls her eyes and I tell her she sees me now, with a wink!
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #13  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

This makes me feel better about this diet. You know all the stuff said about it. THank you guys for sharing.

-Sandra
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 335/305/150ish

i didnt but have sense been to the dr, several in fact and all said Good, they didnt seem to mind it was Atkins as long as I was losing weight

sandi
Sandi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #15  
Going to ONEderland

I did go to the doctor to ask for help in losing weight. They had none to give me. I don't know what I expected, but I thought I would get some sort of help. They told me about "phen-fen" but that it had been determined to be dangerous prior to my visit and that they just didn't know what to tell me or how to help me.

It was extremely discouraging. After I lost 50 pounds on Atkins and went back in they wanted to know how I did it, so that maybe they could recommend it to other people. They were a bit concerned about my cholesterol levels. Why? Because I had kind of messed with something.

When they gave me a lab sheet to take to the lab it just asked for "total cholesterol". I wanted to know the bit parts, the LDL, the HDL and the Triglycerides. So I marked the box on there that asked for all of them before giving the lab slip to the lab.

The doctors told me that the lab doesn't usually report on all of them "unless there is a problem" with the total number. Well they didn't know that I had checked that box LOL!

Anyway my triglycerides were wonderful, my bad cholesterol was a little higher than they liked, but they really weren't seriously worried about it.

I think they wanted to see me back within a certain amount of time to recheck cholesterol levels, but I was able to ask for copies of my earlier cholesterol reports and I could see how much the values had improved on my own and so I wasn't even worried enough about it to return. Their help so far hadn't been so helpful about my weight loss and I sure wasn't going to let them put me on cholesterol lowering drugs. I just got a little more strict with my diet after that.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote