Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #1  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

Default Healthy lunchbox ideas for kids

I'm tired of the usual and I know the kids are. The norm is a sandwich or lunchable

What are some good ideas for lunch box meals? Nothing can be heated and needs ice pack to be refrigerated.
n2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #2  

I used to pack myself cheese and crackers. You can get the reduced fat triscuts and low fat cheese. Or peanut butter and raisins on celery sticks. Instead of a "sandwich" may be a wrap, with fat free turkey, low fat cream cheese, cucumber, sunflower seeds and lettuce on a whole wheat tortilla. Soup in a thermos? What about a pasta salad? Ok, I think that's all I got. Lunchables are terrible for kids and are expensive. You can mix it up by using different ingrediants. Just be creative and let the kids give suggestions too. Good luck.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #3  
LLV

I'm limited in what I pack for my son because they have no refrigeration to keep their lunches in. They take their lunches to school in the morning and throw them into a basket. So I have to pack him things that won't spoil. My son (6) practically survives on peanut butter sandwiches, so that's usually what he gets every day (by his own request) and his milk money, plus some type of snack to go with his sandwich and some type of dessert. Dessert usually consists of a banana or a couple of cookies or some other sweet little treat.

Their school lunches are hideous. Hot dogs, pizza, chicken nuggets, deep-fried chicken sandwiches, fish sticks, etc etc etc. And Friday is "candy day" where the teachers pass out a piece of candy to all the students.

I thought a teachers job was to educate, not pass out candy. My son comes home with a new piece of candy every Friday.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #4  

I bought both my kids a thermos when they started schoo. I now have a Freshman and a fifth grader. I pack lowfat ravioli, homemade soup, leftover casseroles and dood ol Campell's soup when they are under the weather.

My daughter loves deviled eggs, cheese and crackers and bagel sandwiches.

My son like taco chios and salsa, clam chowder, wraps, Italian sandwiches,etc.
Chefmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #5  

My girls love little raisin boxes. The Dole ones are actually alot better than the sunmaid ones. They are softer. I give them raisins instead of those fruit gummie things that are nothing more than glorified gummy beaars. They also love triscuits and peanut butter, Kashi granola bars, and fruit. How about nuts or seeds?

Instead of chips try the quaker soy crisps in white cheddar, they are awesome, my kids devour those. The oldest likes the ranch quakes. Guiltless Gourmet makes some pretty good baked tortilla chips.

SF Jello and pudding cups. Yogurt smoothies. Baby carrots, cut up veggies and hummus.
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #6  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

Great ideas! I did see some things on the list my kids will eat. Linda, I'm surprised by that candy day! My kids aren't allowed to bring soft drinks or candy. Thanks for your input!
n2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2lose
Great ideas! I did see some things on the list my kids will eat. Linda, I'm surprised by that candy day! My kids aren't allowed to bring soft drinks or candy. Thanks for your input!
Well, it's funny, my son won't eat it. He won't eat candy in school. He feels weird about it for some reason, he thinks it's too much sugar.

See, I've sorta got him brainwashed. I'm not one that makes food an issue with my son, but I *DO* make him aware of how much sugar he's eating. I think kids NEED to be aware of these things because that's one of the reasons kids are getting so fat, they drink soda and eat junk all day long. My son is allowed one soda a day and only at home, not in school. He doesn't always drink soda, but when he does, he's allowed only one. And it's funny, he'll maybe go to his grandma's for a while in the evening or something and if someone asks him if he wants a soda, he'll say, "No, I've already had one for the day, I don't want to have too much sugar."

lol, 6 years old and brainwashed.

However, still, whether he eats the candy or not isn't the point. I just don't think schools should be passing this stuff out. And the soda those kids drink! There's one little boy close to here that's about my son's age and his mother lets him drink soda all day long. A 6 year old child is putting away almost a 6-pack a day.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
And it's funny, he'll maybe go to his grandma's for a while in the evening or something and if someone asks him if he wants a soda, he'll say, "No, I've already had one for the day, I don't want to have too much sugar."

lol, 6 years old and brainwashed.

That is one smart 6 year old!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
That is one smart 6 year old!
He even says that stuff to ME. Like if I'm baking cookies, I'll ask him if he wants one and he'll say, "No, mommy, I can't, I've already had enough sugar today."

lol
Old 04-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #10  

here there are 2 quick recipes that don't need refrigeration:

the evening before cook a rice portion, the parboiled one, then when it's cool or the morning after add little cubes of ham, tomato in cubes, chopped peperoni, olives and other vegetables your child like.
mix the rice and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
it's good especially in summer...
you can do the same with pasta but don't overcook it and add mozzarella cheese cubes and tomato cubes plus oil and some chopped basil
pavellina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #11  

The Stonyfield Farms small yogurts can stay cold with an ice pack.

String cheese and some whole grain crackers.

Hummus and baby carrots to dip.

Some refried beans and Guiltless Gourmet chips

Apple slices and a small amount of peanut butter to dip.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #12  

• pasta salad.
  • skewers (they look so fun), with tomatoes, cheese, chicken, ham or turkey. i loved ants on a log (pb, celery, raisins).
  • lately i've been eating laughing cow and honey on an whole wheat english muffin.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #13  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

It depends on how picky your kids are in their eating, and how much time you have to prepare their lunches.

There are some great ideas here that you could maybe adapt, but it does need your children to have an adventurous palate.

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #14  

that link is wonderful!!! i wish i had time to make what she makes, for myself!!!!
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote