UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #1  

Unhappy At last saw Supersize Me

I don;t like MacD's anyway (Vegetarian).

It isn;t rocket science but blimey what he did to his body!

YOu know he is not alone I bet loads of people have it everyday and sometimes more than once a day!!! When I lived in Peckham I used to see the same families regularly in there - little kids who were obviously weaned off their bottles and straight onto MacD's. You see their mum's giving them coke to drink - like there is no alternative (okay in MacD's prob not!).

It was shocking about the state of the school dinners in US but of course through Jamie Oliver we know ours are no better.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Oh - I used to live near Peckham (New Cross Gate) when I was a child and my parents lived there until they died. Is it the McD's in Peckham Rye that you are referring to? If so then I know EXACTLY what you mean. I used to take my daughter there for an occasional treat but there were children there who thought of McD's as a second home. I sometimes think there should be compulsory parenting classes.

I watched Supersize Me in the company of DH plus some friends and, while they were all aware that McD's isn't the healthiest of choices, none of them realised just how bad it could be. In fact they are all fairly slim yet none of them know how they stay like that because they eat what they want, when they want (life is so not fair!) One of them, DH's niece, is a nurse and she virtually lives on takeaways, especially when McD's give out those money off vourcher books.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #3  

That's the one luvee!

Funnily enough one of my bruvs used to lodge in New Cross! Near Telegraph Hill.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #4  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

I was afraid to see that movie because even though I rarely eat it I LOVE the chicken nuggets and fries there. Of course, I've grown a lot more serious about my health now so maybe I should see it and finally sever the cord! Thanks guys!!!

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Supersize Me is a real eye opener I enjoyed it and forced my teens to watch it, it helped for a little while but then they went back to their old eating habits... The guy who did the experiment also has his own show called "30 days" and people do things like that for 30 days... This week it was about a couple of city slickers who moved to a totally organic vegan farm/community for 30 days and what they learned of the damage we are doing to the environment... It's a very good show...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

well give macky's there due they are improving the menu better variety and healthier option aswell as so i believe tappering off the supersize order. one particular grievence i have with all fast food chains is the price of non carbonated drinks. for example milk and orange juice. somewhere between 99p and £1.10 in plymouth for 200mls. now that makes milk over £2.50 a pint no wonder you see kids drinking coke its cos its alot cheaper than the healthy options
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #7  

I forgot it was on last night but have seen it before. I'm not much of a MD type the veggie burgers I quite like though I haven't been in one for years it's all a bit common for a poor working class snob like me. I'm sure it is cheaper to eat at wetherspoons anyway.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #8  

Well Slimming si as it said int he film their chicken salad was I think higher in cals than the big mac! I think the fat content was bad too and the sugar
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #9  
Consistency + Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacock 2
That's the one luvee!

Funnily enough one of my bruvs used to lodge in New Cross! Near Telegraph Hill.
I moved back to very near Telegraph Hill (Musgrove Road, just off Jerningham Road) when I was in my early 30s for a couple of years - my Mum was ill and I wanted to be nearby. I was burgled twice in a year (once when I was in bed asleep) and was very glad to move but the parents loved New Cross Gate. I haven't been back since they passed on.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #10  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

I haven't set foot in McD's, Burgerking or KFC since I watched Supersize Me - it put me off for life! I watched it hot on the heels of another programme about an e-coli outbreak at a McD's in Seattle in the 1980s or 1990s which killed a few folks and forced McDs to change the way they cooked their burgers - they had to start cooking on a higher heat for a few more seconds.

The journalist interviewed a bacteriologist who agreed that this made the meat safe for human consumption, but he pointed out that killing the bacteria in e-coli doesn't change the nature of e-coli, and that when you get down to it e-coli is (to be brutally frank) cow sh*t.

So now you're eating cooked cow sh*t not raw cow sh*t - which is a step in the right direction I guess . However, sh*t is still sh*t and I haven't touched a McD's burger ever since!

However, I also haven't touched chicken since the local TV station ran an expose on a local poultry slaughterhouse, where the owner was literally bleaching green rotting poultry carcasses with diluted peroxide (and rinsing it off afterwards) and selling the meat as class 1 to restaurants and supermarkets. Ah, it's bootiful! Just in case I get sued, I'm NOT talking about Bernard Matthews (even though I'm in Norfolk) - but this WAS a slaughterhouse very close to home...chicken nugget, anyone ?

I just hope they never run an expose on the hidden horrors of the humble vegetable, or I'll starve to death!

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:00 AM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

I think I saw the programme about chicken you're talking about - wasn't it an illegal operation using chicken which had been declared unfit for animal consumption and which should have been destroyed. I remember the bleached mouldy chicken and nobody wearing protective clothing or washing their hands. I also recently saw a programme about the LEGAL preparation of chicken nuggests which was just as bad - the staff hadn't been properly trained in hygene and they were picking bits of chicken up off the floor to put in the mincer - and they also used a whole load of bits of chicken that aren't generally fit to be eaten.

I'm the same as you, I don't eat anything which has been pre-prepared and even the thought of chicken nuggets makes me feel a bit I get my fish, poultry and meat delivered unfrozen from Tesco or Sainsbury - DH has worked for both companies so we know how rigorous their Quality Control Depts are. Occasionally (if I'm feeling rich) I'll get a mixed box from the organic butcher a couple of villages away. If I want minced or diced anything for a recipe then I do the prep work myself. It adds seconds to the prep time but but least I know the quality of whats going in to my food.