Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #1  
Chubbles

Default Induction question

Is the 2 week induction for everyone? Is it safe to do induction for 3-4 weeks? If so, WHO should be extending their induction period? Severly overweight people? People with low or high metabolisms? If anyone knows the answer to this please post! Thanks!
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #2  

I just read on this in the atkins book ....anyone can stay in the induction phase longer .You should move on when your ready. I am in my third week and decided to stay in the induction since I am not bored with the food and are seeing great results.
JOELLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I think the only issue is that people get bored with the food quickly because your options are very limited during induction. Pretty much all low carb diets have some form of this 2 week introductory period of more restricted carbs though-some are just more restrictive than others.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

A friend of mine stayed on induction for months, boy did the weight melt off.

Its really up to you and how your body reacts to it
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #5  
Chubbles

I think I may stay on induction also...I might modify it slightly though...like allowing myself low carb tortillas or something...i need some form of bread in my life even if its fake!
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #6  
karrier

S/C/G: 265/239/130

Height: 5'3"

Talking Induction

First time on Atkins I never lost except when on induction.

This time I decided my body only likes minimal carbs so I will stay on induction as a WOL.

karrier
karrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

I noticed when I increased my carbs I didn't have the control (or weight loss) as I did on induction. The only way they suggest going higher in carbs is to slow your weight loss down as this is a life style change (WOE) not a temporary way to lose fast weight. If you've got a lot of weight to lose the book says you can stay on longer. If you've got only like 5 pounds left it suggests you move to the next levels. Being on induction longer does also mean you're limiting what you can eat and so you MIGHT get bored easier. Good luck!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Cheating on my LA weight loss

I've been using the LA weight loss formula for 4 weeks. I lost 4LBS and gained back 4lbs.. not sure why.. I'm faithful to the plan..

So, I'm shopping where the grass may be greener

I have the induction plan, and I'm hoping to have some success on this.

My question is how many carbs are you allowed per day after induction?

Thank you for any help.
debi d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Debi, whatever low carb plan you decide on, we recommend you read the book. Atkins recommends that after induction, you slowly increase your carbs in 5 gram increments to see what is the amount you can eat and continue to lose weight. This is different for everyone. He gives you a little formula to help you figure out where you might be based on how much you lost in induction. There are other low carb diet plans and they do it differently and you may want to shop around for something that suits your lifestyle and personal food tastes best. The best plan for you will be the one you can stick with for life.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

Just a quick note on the low carb tortilla's......I'm in week 2 of induction and I eat the low carb tortilla's....i know they are not "allowed" during induction but I also knew that I couldn't go with no bread at all. The ones I buy have 11 grams carbs but 6 of those are fiber, so 5g net carbs per tortilla. I only eat like 2/week, like when we have subs or homemade pizza...they make an awesome pizza crust. Also I drink an Atkins shake every morning for breakfast, and an 8 ounce glass of V8 juice with my lunch, since I don't eat very many veggies. It seems to be working great for me, but everyone's body acts differently to certain things. Good Luck
xJennJennx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've stayed basically at Induction level carbs per day for almost 2 years. I have added more veggies but, usually don't go over 25 carbs per day. Works for me!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #12  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default Restrictions during induction

Just wondering-I have read the book but maybe I missed this....Are the low carb breads and tortillas not allowed during induction just because of craving control, or is there another reason? As long as you keep it under 20 carbs a day for induction, does it really matter what they consist of? I have eaten a piece of low carb bread twice since I started almost two weeks ago (with 5 carbs) as well as a few "treats" like sugar free pudding snack (6 carbs) and replaced meals with Slim Fast's low carb shakes (YUMMY and 2 carbs). I have not found them to make me "crash" like high carbo alternatives, and I have lost 11 lbs in 12 days. I simply use them in place of meals for variety. I know craving control is important, but I haven't yet been adversely affected. Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I'm headed for a train wreck. If I ever feel the need to binge on carbs as a result-I guess that's the only way I'll know for sure, and have to cut all that out completely.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeleagle1965
As long as you keep it under 20 carbs a day for induction, does it really matter what they consist of?
Directly from atkins.com:

The Rules of InductionThis phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ must be followed precisely to achieve success. If you do it at all incorrectly you may prevent weight loss and end up saying, "Here is another weight-loss plan that didn't work."
Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.
1. Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).
2. Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods).
3. Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.
4. Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.
5. Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.
6. Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter.
7. Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.
8. Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.
9. Avoid too much coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.
10. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.
11. If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.
12. At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron.

All the best to you,

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

I don't think I will be ready to go past induction very quickly. I have alot of energy, am not hungry, and I don't se any need for me to go off too quickly. But that is just what I think is best for me, everyone has to do what is best for themselves. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #15  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl
12. At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron.
Kim, do you know why the multivitamin can't contain iron?? I'm just curious...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote