Old 04-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default Fast Food Help?

I have read some scary posts about the fillers, etc in fast food meats....Can anyone clarify what IS actually safe to eat at fast food restaurants while low carbing?
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

During induction? Probably just hamburger (minus bun) and their salads (minus croutons and their dressings). I try to avoid fast foods because of this very same dilemma!! Great question!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #3  
Susan hockeyfan7

I never go to a fast food restaurant -- they lie about what's in their food.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #4  
banned

Yep. Will power man, will power~
You can do it.
dan1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #5  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

what IS actually safe to eat at fast food restaurants? Going next door to the sit down restaurant and ordering food that is good for you. Note: watch Super Size me for an everlasting disgusting motivator to stay off fast food forever.
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #6  

I haven't had fast food in a long time....I've maybe been to McDonalds 3 times in the past 2 years. ICKY! Not that it doesn't sound good sometimes but there really is nothing good for me to eat there.
M&Gmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

Can't clarify what to eat actually but when in a pinch, try to choose side salads and if you must have protein and are further into OWL you can keep some walnuts in your purse and throw them on the salad. Or any other type of nut you would enjoy on a salad.
Nuts are a big help to me. Not meat, but very satisfying all the same.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #8  

Default Thanks for the help-

Thanks everybody for posting-I know during induction that this is not even an option at all, but I'm about to move on to OWL. To stick with this for the long haul, I'm trying to learn about all of my options ahead of time so that I don't just say "screw it" out of ignorance and on impulse when I'm faced with having to do this. I have watched Supersize and it really makes you think-but there HAS to be some fast food chain that offers an option for this lifestyle with SO many people doing it. For example-is it relatively safe to eat a chicken soft taco at the Bell without any veggies (carb count isn't listed for just tortilla)? Are there "hidden" carbs in the fillers they use for burger patties at Burger King? Are there ANY Atkin's friendly foods out there? I ask because there are times when a drive thru is unavoidable for me. I live in a remote area, so when we occasionally make the drive into "town", I have 3 kids who wouldn't give a rat's hoo-hah what kind of diet I'm on when they see golden arches. I'm going to try to email different chains and find out more info-if I find out anything of value I'll post it here. Thanks everybody!

Last edited by rebeleagle1965; 04-05-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #9  

Default Found something encouraging about BK

I was shocked at what I just found on the net-Burger King's site actually has a low-carb specific menu-it's posted as follows....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have emailed McD's for more info. Taco Bell has a nutrition calculator that works well but takes forever-basically any hard or soft taco, with beef or chicken and only meat and tortilla has about 20 grams of carbs-okay in a pinch but not really worth it to me.

LOW CARB (EACH UNDER 10g* OF CARBS):

Original WHOPPER®* (3g)

Original WHOPPER® w/ cheese* (5g)

Original DOUBLE WHOPPER®* (3g)

Original DOUBLE WHOPPER® w/ cheese* (5g)

Original WHOPPER JR.®* (1g)

Original WHOPPER JR.® w/ cheese* (2g)

Bacon WHOPPER®* (4g)

Bacon WHOPPER® w/ cheese* (5g)

Low Carb Angus Steak Burger** (2g)

Low Carb Angus Steak Burger w/ fire-grilled onions (7g)

Low Carb Angus Bacon & Cheese** (4g)

Low Carb Angus Bacon & Cheese w/ fire-grilled onions (8g)

* w/o mayo, ketchup, and bun.
** served w/ lettuce and tomato

CARB-CONSCIOUS CHOICES (20g or less):

CHICKEN TENDERS® – 5 piece w/ Ranch dipping sauce (14g)

Fire-Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad, Creamy Garlic Caesar Dressing w/o Garlic Parmesan Toasts (16g)

Fire-Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad, Creamy Garlic Caesar Dressing w/o Garlic Parmesan Toasts (16g)

Fire-Grilled Chicken Garden Salad, Garden Ranch Dressing w/o Garlic Parmesan Toasts (19g)

Fire-Grilled Shrimp Garden Salad, Garden Ranch Dressing w/o Garlic Parmesan Toasts (20g)

CHICKEN TENDERS® – 8 piece w/o dipping sauce (20g)
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

Subway will make any sandwich as a salad. Also if you go for their "wraps" you aren't getting excessive amounts of carbs. Kentucky fried chicken you could buy a chicken breast and pull off the skin. (and breading). Or you could go to the grocery store and buy one of their precooked chickens.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

The low carb burgers are bunless. Kind of what you expect, but when they first came out they charged more for the low carb options when basically it's the burger without the bun. I wasn't amused and haven't been back to burger king. just my opinion, but low carb shouldn't equate to higher prices unless it is better quality.
They may have changed that up now, but haven't been back to check. I went right after they started their low carb menu. I asked if the meat was different from their other burgers and it wasn't.
i do like subway. lots of veggies to choose from.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

The only fast food restaurant I feel good about is subway. I usually end up setting in the car and eating around the bun, I always keep a set of plastic silverware in the car at all times. I used to be a Home Care Nurse and they had me all over the county and some in Mason so I never knew if they were going to give me time for lunch. So I got in the habit of stopping at subway and eating in the car. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

The only fast-food places I have eaten at since starting Atkins was Subway for a low-carb wrap or Arbys for a low-carb wrap. Don't have these very often but sometimes it is necessary with kids in the car. I actually prefer to eat at buffets, where I can eat grilled chicken, brocolli or brussel sprouts or cabbage, and a fresh salad.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #14  

MCdonald's results.....

4 piece chicken nugget- 10 carbs
filet of fish w/tartar sauce - 11 carbs
crispy chicken filet- 13 carbs
grilled chicken filet- 2 carbs
quarter pound patty-2 carbs
1 cheese slice- 3 carbs

All of the dressings are LOADED with carbs-so if you think the salad is safe....only if you go without or pack your own with you. Surprisingly enough, the salads themselves (even without dressing) have more carbs than any of the burger patties ANYWHERE.

Not to say we should all go pig out at McD's, but it's nice to know that I don't have to smell it and feel left out when the kids want a happy meal.......

Another interesting thing I found-off the fast food track, but I had yet to find a steak sauce that was consumable on this plan, but I recently tried something that was DELICIOUS, and has 0 carbs.
McIlhenny's TABASCO brand chipotle sauce.....it's sold at Walmart. It's not really "pepper" hot like you'd think ( it's kinda smoky), and I've been putting it on everything, as a steak sauce, and it's great to season burger patties and chicken breasts with. The box comes with recipes in it-like mixing it with a little mayo and garlic to coat chicken with before baking. Highly recommend it for a little variety!