Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Will I ever tackle this pilates move?

I tried a few pilates moves for the first time today. I can "sort of" do all of them except the teaser. Geez! When I pull my torso up, I can't keep my legs straight. Does anyone else have this problem? Were you able to master it? I'm trying to do the 3-week flatten your abs thing in the Prevention magazine ab special, and part of it is doing these pilates exercises 3 times a week.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

You can start with an easier variation and work your way up to the full move for most pilates exercises. For the teaser you might want to start by breaking it down into leg lifts, and then practice lifting just your torso while propping up your feet on an exercise ball. Once you get stronger you can work towards lifting your torso and legs at the same time, but as long as you’re mindful of good form you can lift just a little, you don’t have to come all the way up till you’re ready and you can balance well in the position. Hope that helps a little. Keep at it, you can do it.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #3  

Thanks! I think I'll try the exercise ball thing. I'll give that a try on Wednesday when I try the Pilates moves again.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #4  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I learned how to do the teaser by, just lifting my upper body into the v-sit position. Then when that became easier I just put my legs up and did it. I couldnt hold it very long but it was a start, also there is a bent leg teaser where you bend your legs, feet flat on the floor, extend one leg to a 45 degree knees touching and then bring your upper body in the v-sit position. This one is easier and it preps your for the full fledged v-sit
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #5  

In my class we do the bent leg version, which I can manage. Sometimes I can get my legs straight. What makes me laugh at myself is that I can't do the same move in yoga. I think the way we get into it in pilates is a bit different, which seems to make a big difference to the balancing part of my brain (which isn't very good)
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I had to look this up... We do something similar in the old kickbox - however we have to hold our legs!!

I find it easier to balance if you "spot" something in front of you. Say focus on a particular part of the wall in front or a screw or a corner of a notice. Then you're not wandering about all over the place... Might help!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #7  

Our posh studio has hibiscus in vases (three of them in built in boxes) I try and spot the ladybird (there isn't one!!!), to keep me focussed. Something I learnt in ballet class. I got sent to ballet as a kid to try and do something about my terrible coordination and balance! I don't think Pilates had found it's way to Australia then, that would have been much better for me!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #8  

Yeah, I have horrible balance. I'm normally pretty flexible. I think it's mostly the balance issue.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I hear you--that teaser is tough! I can manage the single leg now but I still don't enjoy it. Build up to it slow like people suggested and I am sure you will get it.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #10  

Thanks! I'm going to give the exercises another try today, so we'll see how it goes. I think I'll try the single leg today. I wasn't sure how to adapt it for my beginner's ability when I did them on Monday.