Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #1  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

Default Controlling what I eat when life is out of control

Right now my life is rather messy- both figuratively and literally. I am trying to get my room organized (a feat that is staggering since it is in horrible shape), and I am also in tons of pain and feeling rotten.

My topamax stopped doing its thing for me for sleep... Ugh. So now I sleep 12 hours a day and am so sleepy when I am awake that I oversleep or fall asleep and miss classes. Or I am late for work. Since I graduate in May barring any unforseen circumstances I am trying to at least manage my classes.

I waiting to go to the pain clinic for an injection for nerve pain and just started on Lyrica for sleep and fibro issues...

But I feel like my life is in upheaval at the moment. And when it is like that I just cannot focus on anything like counting calories. Its too much for me and I won't do it.

So what can I do? I think drinking more water would help. But as far as restricting what I eat it gets sticky. Any ideas for very simple strategies? How to not eat five brownies, etc.
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #2  

Cool

You certainly have a lot of stressors going on right now. Drinking more water is helpful. You might want to keep healthy snacks around so you have something to knaw on when you feel the urge. Apples, carrots, celery, maybe some Laughing Cow Lite cheese and low fat crackers. Try to make a conscious effort when you're eating out to minimize the damage. Perhaps you want a hamburger, well, have it, but leave off the cheese and fries. Eat slowly and enjoy it. Make a rule not to eat desserts. I've done this myself and it works. I hope your health problems get better. Remember, it's only two months to graduation.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #3  

I don't buy anything that I'd be tempted to eat.

I also bring my own snacks if I know I am going to be out for a long time.

When I get cravings to go out and buy a tub of ice cream, I exercise instead. That takes the cravings away.
CheeseBurger&Thighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #4  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

Kyethra--Have you been checked for sleep apnea? I'm very concerned about you, dear. I had many sleep issues and finally was tested for sleep apnea and now with my machine, I'm a new woman. Sleep apnea often accompanies obesity. BTW, my anniversary is Aug. 12 and I will have been married 34 years. It's a good date to get married!!
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #5  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

I can't afford a sleep study now- my insurance won't cover it. It expressly prohibts covering anything sleep related- even an office visit. I will get one after I get married and am on the new insurance. But it looks as though apnea can be ruled out. I don't appear to have any problems breathing when I am asleep, I am told I breathe normally and the only breaks in my breathing occur when I start talking and then I go back to breathing normally.

I probably have either Periodic Limb Movement Disorder or REM behavior disorder or something else odd like that. So that means I need to be on medication at night that keeps me from throwing things and so forth so I sleep deeper and better. When sleep gets messed up- well other things can follow, like worse immune system response.

But I know losing weight or at least not gaining is also good for my health. So I need to find subtle and easy way to get that in- like leaving three bites on my plate, etc.
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #6  
Pinkroses

I hope you can get straightened out soon. I have sleep issues too. It seems that I can't stay asleep long . I know it must be hard on you and you going to school? hope things get better soon. Hugs Pinkroses.
pinkroses is offline   Reply With Quote