Old 03-28-2006, 02:31 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question Making Sourdough Starters?

I've never made a sourdough starter before. But considering that sourdough is allowed in P2 in limited amounts, I want to try. I found this recipe (http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/herma...ughstarter.asp ) on Allrecipes.com, but I'm not sure if I should make it according to the recipe or if I can reduce the amount of sugar. I don't want to keep the starter from 'starting', but I'd love to use the smallest amount of sugar possible.

I'm also wondering if I'd have to use some white flour to make the starter work or if my whole wheat flour would work just the same.

Anyone have any idea?

I'd love whatever help you can give! Thanks!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:42 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Beachgal, did you notice the recipe is for SWEET sourdough? Are you sure that's what you want? That's a heck of a lot of sugar.

A true sourdough starter does not need sugar and can be done with whole wheat flour. Here's a link to some basics. It's quite a process but, once you have the starter, you can bake forever!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:45 AM   #3  
it's always something

Mom used to make sourdough bread all the time when we were teens, and Jen and I have been talking about making a batch of starter. I bought Nancy Silverton's book "Breads from the La Brea Bakery" which is a famous bakery in L.A., though I haven't made anything yet. I think everything in her book uses starter, from basic bread to pretzels and bagels and more. Her starter uses organic grapes, water, and flour. It takes 14 days to make
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Yeah, starters take forever (or so I've heard) but once you have one, you're good to go!

La Brea bakery bread is just beyond divine!!! You lucky girl on that cookbook...wonder if my library has it?

Thanks, Ruth...I noticed that it was 'sweet'...it's used in a cinnamon roll recipe I found, so I think the sweet was on purpose...but that doesn't mean I have to make a sweet one, right? I can find something healthier if that's better.

So you think I can make a starter without any sugar and using all WW flour? Do you think it would be better with WW pastry flour or would the regular kind be okay?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:18 AM   #5  
it's always something

My cookbook has info for making a WW starter, but it starts with a batch of the white starter, lol. It might be necessary to start with white or at least include some white for it to take hold. I'm an avid bread baker, but am not experienced with sourdough.

I think a little bit of sugar might be necessary to feed it. I don't think it would make a difference in the calories or GI since the amount will be so small.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #6  
I can do this!

I'm really careful about avoiding white flour usually, but sourdough is allowed on SBD because the acid in the bread keeps us from absorbing the sugar in the flour as quickly. I'd try to make it with some whole wheat flour, but I'd think, in this case, that some white would be okay.

What does everyone think?