Old 03-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Doing something for myself!! Need help.

I have been off of LA for a while now. I finally had my divorce go thru, and I feel like I should change my life. I was married for 21 years and he just walked out. My life has been on hold because I always do everything for everyone else and ignore myself. There has come a time for a change. I have already bought my bars. I just want to know how many of you followed the LA plan, including the supplements and had success. I know the food and bars are great, but what do you think of the supplements. Will they help when I am doing my weight loss? Have any of you had experience with them. Please wish me luck, my appointment is for Saturday at 10. I am going to go thru the kitchen and make it into a LA kitchen. My 19 and 16 year olds will have to get healthy with me. Please give me your input of what you all did with supplements and maybe extra things you can think of to be successful.
bkstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #2  
Back in the saddle!

Height: 5'8"

bkstitch, first of all, let me say that I'm sorry you and your family are going through this difficult time.

You asked a few questions, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Let me start by saying I have been on the plan for 9 weeks, so I will give my limited input. We have some grads here who have been on the plan for much longer, and can offer some real insight.

I follow the plan, and it works for me. I am on red (just moved down from red plus last week). I have had much success so far. As far as supplements go, I took the health pack (vitamax, EFAs, and calcium) for the first month. Then, I bought the off brands (that seem very comparable) at Walmart/Walgreens. I don't qualify for carb enders because I am diabetic, so I can't take those.

What works best for me is:
1. PLAN PLAN PLAN! You have taken a great step in preparing your kitchen. Don't let not planning do you in, though! Plan your meals a couple of days at a time if at all possible.
2. Set minigoals! Not sure how much you want to lose, but I have LOTS to lose. It is so much more manageable handling it 10 or so lbs at a time than it is to do the whole nine yards.
3. Don't let small errors get the best of you! Sometimes, you may find yourself having gone off plan a little. Just stop, get back on the horse, and don't dwell! Also, there are times when the scale may show a gain when you have been perfectly on plan (POP). Please don't get discouraged! If you work the plan, it really does work!

Good luck at your meeting on Saturday! You CAN DO THIS! and You deserve it!

This forum is great ... join us at the March Losers and Friends Forum for lots of friendly advice!
green0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #3  

Hi BK! Our prayers are with you as you and your family get through this difficult time.

When I started LA, I was under ALOT of stress at work, and recently suffered the unexpected loss of 2 dear grandparents.

I thought I would need food to get through the stress, but what I found was that the feeling of being good to my body, looking better, and having more energy...totally SET ME UP to face the cahllenges and struggles before me. I was proud of myself, and had more confidence every day.

I use the Bars, which I love. I wouldn't trade them for anything - you feel like you are really having a treat!

I have never used the supplements - I think you can buy the same things cheaper - Essential Fatty Acids of Flaxseed, Extra Calcium, and Multivitamins much cheaper - the Carb Enders, and EFX not sure.

I would stick to the plan, use the bars, and resort to trying supplements only if you aren't continuing to lose.

Hang in there! Plan your meals, and watch the portions. Keep fruit and a stock of a few bars in your car or desk at work where you can get to them easily for healthy snacks. Cook alot of chicken or ground turkey at one time to set you up for a few days.

Come over to the Losers and Friends Thread to say hello!!!

Hugs,
Pink
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #4  
slowlyshrinking

Welcome, BK! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughters at this tough time.

I'll answer your questions as I can -I've been on the program for 33 weeks, and although I've run into some health problems in the last couple of weeks that slowed me down, I've lost over 70 pounds. So, yes, the program works. I haven't done the bars, and I haven't done supplements, so you can sort of put together a program for yourself.

I can only repeat what Erin said - plan ahead! I don't have any problems staying on program as long as I have good choices in the house, but if I get hungry and don't have a plan, that's when I get way off track. But, then I just start over again, so even when it happens, it's not the end of the world.

I also find this board tremendously supportive - they have great ideas, suggestions, and I've learned a tremendous amount. And, it's always nice to know that others are fighting the same battle.

So, welcome, and good luck with your meeting on Saturday!
slowlyshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hello again! I think I have seen you around a little before, right? Sounds like you are really ready for a change, and I commend you for doing something for yourself. We moms are bad for losing ourselves in our children. It is great that you are taking yourself back! My advice is to throw yourself into your exercising. You will feel so good, and have tons of energy. I find myself having the best workouts when I am working off some frustration, so go for it. You will feel great. Good luck with your appointment on Saturday, and don't be a stranger. We would love to add you to our little support group here!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote