Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default DELLA!!!! DEBO!!!!! tell us what's going on!!!

how did your surgeries go? what's going on? how are you???

fingers crossed - and everything else, too...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's, hope your doing well
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #3  

I made it!!

Thanks to everyone who wished me luck, and prayed for me. I had the surgery on the 19th, was supposed to leave the next day, but I was in a lot of pain, and unable to drink water without feeling so nauseous they kept me one more day.

It feels good to be home! I am still feeling pain at the staple sites, i think I've gotten addicted to the codiene elixier. I will be on a clear liquid diet for about a month.. Currently am taking small amounts of water and apple juice. It's really tough, I feel great discomfort even if I take small amounts.. But it's getting better..

My doctor is encouraging me to walk but it's a real pain.. Would it speed my recovery if I push myself and walk?

Hope Debbo is doing well.. I will update you later.. Thanks to everyone for their support!
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #4  

Della, yes it really will speed your recovery and also PREVENT complications. It helps with blood flow, prevents an accumulation of lactic acid in your legs which makes you stiff and sore among other things. It helps keep your gastric processes moving. I'm sure you're uncomfortable but it will get better. Day 4 and 5 things get a little better too. Don't walk more than you really can, but walk as much as possible!

I'm so glad you posted and are doing so well. Glad you're home!
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 AM   #5  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Seriously helps with recovery. Specially if you were completely under,,,walking and breathing helps your lungs. Walking helps blood flow to your legs so no blood clots, just being up and moving around gets your body going...
I haven't had WLS, but I had a hysterectmy last month, and have done alot of walking, I don't even feel like I had surgery...other then Im not feeling the horrible TOM feelings I had before.
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WELCOME HOME !!!

Yes, walking is the best thing you can do for yourself, but remember you don't have to run a marathon, go slow and just walk around the room, speed will come later when your all healed and feeling better.

Congratulations
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 AM   #7  

Someone on this forum said that WLS is not for sissies.. Well, I wish they mentioned the definition of that, cuz ladies, I just found out am one big fat sissy!

I was feeling upset all the time, centered in my pain and all the things I cannot do! I hated not recovering faster, I hated having to walk slowly because of the pain, I hated not being able to sleep, I hated having to take sips of 2 ml or less not to get pain or nausea. AND get ready for this, I hated not being able to eat! Oh my god! Even a slice of dark bread with fat free cheese wanna be, seemed so attractive

Today I woke up, I realized that I should not let those feelings get the best of me! I have to work on it, it's no easy road, but I chose to be on it, and I know it should take me where I want to be, plus I should be grateful that I didn't get a leak or any of the other complications..

So to all of those considering surgery, thinkkkkkk aloot before you go for it, and be preapred! And Debbo, if you're reading this, it gets better with time,, maybe your tougher than me so I hope all works well for all of us!

D.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #8  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Smile

Della, I feel so bad for you right now.

You are right, though, that it will get better. I know when I came home from the hospital, all I felt like doing was sleeping. It was a real push to get myself out the door and walk. Sometimes it was only as far as the end of the driveway or 1/2 blk., but then I would force myself to do that several times during the day.

I'm 3 wks from surgery & had my first "I want something to munch on" problem last night. I had my SF jello & a SF popsicle & made it through. It is tough to get through it.

Heads up, Stay on the positive side. It is more fun when you see the scales dropping so quickly--gives you a boost to know it will be worth the pain & discomfort now.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #9  

That's a pretty hefty attitude adjustment you've given yourself there Della!

Its ironic isn't it. We go into these surgeries because we want the assurance that come **** or high water we'll DO IT this time. Then comes that first brick wall of limitation and its so hard!!

It's all going to improve from here on Della. Especially for someone as insightful as you seem to be.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 312/288/165

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone, I'm home. I tried to post yesterday but could not get on the website.

Della, I am glad everything is ok, I hit the same brick wall as you did yesterday. I was at my parents house for their anniversary and ended up crying because I wanted something other than soup. It is a tough adjustment but I had to look at the big picture and remember why I was going through this pain, and yes I had a lot of it especially in my chest and neck. I couldn't even sit up on my own.
debo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #11  

Welcome back Debo, I am glad you're doing ok.. It was really unfortunate to have your parent's anniversary so close to the surgery. I haven't been in a social engagement since mine, but my best friend's wedding is this weekend.. Lets hope the only tears I shed are those of joy

Hubs and Loodie, thanks you guys, and hey I am now able to walk more, although the longest I ever did was a 15 minute walk, but still a major improvement from the walk from the bedroom to the living room

Now I have a question, for some reason, my surgeon ordered me to be on a clear liquid diet, he said water, juices, milk, yogurt, tea, coffee, and if I must ice cream.. Of course I didn't go for the latter, but I was wondering why not soup? I didnt want to re-start my bad habits (I was a real coffeeholic), so I skipped the tea/ coffee part (although I know I will get there eventually), but I feel that what I am getting is not enough. Any suggestions?
I am also taking multivitamins but they gave me the liquid one, which is dosed for pediatrics, anyone aware of an adult liquid multivitamin formulation?

Thanks all..
P.S. Debo at first I thought that I should wear loose clothes not to hurt the surgery site, but when I couldn't live without my jeans anymore, I found that they actually lessened the pain and it was easier to walk in them. Just a tip, hope it helps
Old 03-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. we're in unknown territory here, della - we don't know much about the sleeve. HOWEVER, since it's mostly a restrictive operation, i'm thinking that perhaps the soup is just too much right now - all that solids with the liquids. you can have broths, of course, but no veggies or meat or whatever in them.

so glad you're up and around!!! it'll get better - honest!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #13  

If you go to the Health Food store, NOW brand has an adult liquid multi that is really outstanding. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. They also have a B12 with Folic acid tablet that goes under your tongue in a 5000mcg does with 400 of Folate and I suggest that.

I can't BELIEVE he would suggest Ice Cream of a soup of puree'd veggies or even a cream type veggie soup. One thing that worked for me right out of surgery was a small amount (like a heaping tablespoon) of rice cooked into a couple of cups of chicken broth with celery and onion. Cook until really, super soft and then puree.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #14  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Post My 1 month after surgery diet

The weight loss center where I went for surgery gave us pretty specific guidelines for diet & supplements. In addition, we are assigned a RN (who oversees the case), a dietician, an exercise coach. Our followup appts. @ 2 wks, 6 wks, etc. are with the surgeon & this team. Here is what we were given for the 1st month after surgery. The Phase 4 diet is when we introduce pureed fish, ham, pork, veggies cooked, fruit etc. for a couple weeks & start increasing the amount per meal 1 oz. We have different diets for the 1st year. Protein is re-evaluated @ 6 months & daily we take 2 chewable complete multivitamins, 1200 chewable calcium, iron, 2 fish oil, & B12 weekly.

WLS Phase 3 Full Liquid Diet
2 oz per meal / 64 oz. Water / 71-85 gr.Protein (individually determined) Wait 30 min. after drinking to eat, use 30 min to eat, wait 30 min before drinking.

PROTEIN:
Cottage Cheese, Blended Tofu, Scrambled or soft cooked eggs, LFSF Yogurt
STARCH:
Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, Grits, Strained Cream Soup, Thin Mashed Potatoes
VEGETABLES:
Vegetable Puree, Vegetable Juice
FRUIT:
Smooth Applesauce,
FREE:
SF Koolaid, Decaf Coffee, Crystal Light, Diet Lemonade, Diet CF Snapple, Water, Decaf Herbal Tea, SF Popsicles, SF Geletin, LF Chicken Broth.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote