Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #1  

Default New Cereal

There is a new cereal, Grape Nuts Trail Mix, which looks really good. It has 5 grams of fiber and 9 sugars. I know that is a lot of sugar, but reading this from the south beach website, it is considered a high fiber cereal:

"Cereal

Hot - 1/3 -1/2 cup, uncooked. Choose whole grain and slow-cooking varieties (no instant types).
Cold - 30 grams/1 ounce/3/4 cup. Varieties with 3.0 - 4.9 grams are “good” sources of fiber. “High” fiber cereals have 5.0 grams of fiber or more per serving. Choose a cereal with enough fiber to be at least on the upper end of “good,” and make sure it has less than 8 grams of sugar per serving. "

So here is what I am thinking. Probably too high in sugar, but since it is "high fiber" I may try it and have it once a week and see how cravings go. What do you all think?

Last edited by amelie77; 03-25-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

I eat fiber one cereal- it's got 14 grams of fiber per serving. I think it has under fifteen carbs once you subtract the fiber. it tastes good on salads, soups, or eaten as cereal.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #3  

I like Fiber One also, but was just wondering others opinions on the Grape Nuts Trail Mix for an occasional bowl.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #4  

You would need to provide the ingredients for us to tell. That is a lot of sugar.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #5  

Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, RAISINS, WHEAT BRAN, WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, ALMONDS, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OR SUNFLOWER OIL), SALT, RICE FLOUR, HONEY, GLYCERIN, RICE, CORN SYRUP, MALTED CORN AND BARLEY SYRUP, WHEY (FROM MILK), PRUNE JUICE CONCENTRATE, DRIED YEAST, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, BHT ADDED TO PACKAGING MATERIAL TO PRESERVE FRESHNESS. VITAMINS & MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN B6, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #6  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I say if you're going too use it anyway, mix it half and half with something like plain shredded wheat or fiber 1 or some other very low sugar cereal
Closed Thread