Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #1  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Default Skinny people

I was out having coffee tonight. There were 3 girls sitting at the table next to. I over heard a little bit of there conversation. The thing that caught my attention was the one girl saying how she constantly drinks water. She drinks it whether she is thirsty or not. Then she said it's weird, you know when to stop when it's food but not water.

I just thought how wonderful it must be to know when to stop eating. Even though I have gotten all the weight off or at least most of it I still find it hard unless counting calories to make myself stop eating. I know I will always have to count calories in order to control my eating. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have the natural switch built in. Oh Well at least I have learned to control it another way. It can be done and once you get going it becomes second nature so it really is not bad at all and well worth the effort.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #2  
Crazy Canuck

Oh wow, what I wouldn't pay to have that automatic turn-off switch. Left to my own devices, I could happily eat pretty much all day long and way past the point of being full (in fact, that's exactly what I did for years). I truly believe that skinny and/or normal people are wired differently than us. I'm not using that as an excuse, because we do have the power to force ourselves to turn off the switch ~ just saying its makes it more difficult...
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #3  

Try this: all the people in my immediate family (mother, sister, sons) and the father of my children forget to eat if they are busy. I NEVER forget a meal. In fact, I often think of the next meal while I'm eating the current one.
Plus, they will often eat only a bite or two of a dessert because it is too sweet. Huh?
But you are right, HMan, it can be done. It just has not become second
nature to me yet.

PS--I don't belong to this forum, but I have lost a couple hundred lbs in the last twenty years, the same 25-30 ones over and over!! But not this time, they are going to stay off.
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

My son has that switch. Where he got it from, we'll never know. He's been known to just stop eating in mid-pizza slice. "Not hungry anymore," he says with a shrug and a smile.

Me? I'm a long-time member of the Clean Plate Club. Like so many, I was initiated by my mother, who told me all the stories about "starving children...". ((sigh))

I was never able to follow that "diet principle" of leaving a bite on the plate. Drove me C-R-A-Z-Y!!! Like someone singing "Shave and a haircut..." without finishing it. So I'm learning to have smaller portions so I can guiltlessly clean the plate!

PS How many of you had to finish "Shave and a haircut..."?
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:23 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I had a girl in class today - nice as she could be, and she was a size zero if that. In one of the practice exercises, they had to list what they had for breakfast - it went something like - soymilk, bluberries, wheat germ...

I thought to myself - SEE!! That's why she's a zero - no dunkin donuts on her list!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:38 AM   #6  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I don't have that switch either, but often just one taste of dessert is quite sufficient for me because I don't really have a sweet tooth. Crisps, nuts, and booze were my downfall, not sugary snacks. Oh, and Chinese and Indian takeaways.

I often measure out a portion (a proper one, I mean, not an Ali-sized portion ), and after I've eaten it, I could easily polish off another couple. I have to be really disciplined not to get any extra before making myself wait 20 minutes.

I'm also certain I will have to monitor portions/kcals for the rest of my life. I simply can't afford not to. It's a relatively small price to pay for not being morbidly obese.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've learnt a thing or two about portions, and feeling full recently. I got sick in Dec and was sick for 2 months, I barely ate, and then I went on my first ever round of antibiotics. Something changed in my body from that, I no longer eat until I am bursting full, infact, I can't say I feel "full" anymore. I eat my meal, and move on. Not saying that all my meals are perfect, but I am satisfied with much less. Also, a handy little thing is that I lost my taste for sugar.

I really hope not to monitor EVERYTHING for the rest of my life, I think the trick for me is to just eat mainly fruits and veggies, well we'll see. I am not even half way thru this journey.

jrnyc, I think to some extent its good to think about the next meal when you are in weight loss mode, you have to be prepared and know what you are doing. Weight loss is such a conscious effort, everything needs to be thought of, every minute of everyday. But our bodies deserve that attention.

On that note, do they do full body lipo? Cuz I really could use a slice of cheesecake!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #8  
Walking by faith

Wink What a thought!

I was out grocery shopping with my DH not long ago, and I passed a display of . I mentioned to him that I wished I could buy a package and just stop at one or two cookies at a time. No way..it would be 6 or more for sure, and then I'd be back later. I wish I knew how to activate that 'off' switch! As for those '100 calorie packs' The only way for me is to just keep walking on by!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #9  
maintainer wannabe

our internal calorie counters are really cool when they work. my kids and dh are all normal weight. I gained 120 lbs over 12 years eating what the rest of the family ate. I worked that out to be 100 cals a day too much. Thats not very much. I'll be counting calories for the rest of my life. Yes very much worth the effort.

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

I found that my control switches worked better when I changed what I was eating. When I started eating low carb, I found that by eating protein and fats, I would know when I had enough food. High carb foods didn't do that for me. They would mess with my blood sugar and send it on a roller coaster ride so that I would feel hungry even if I wasn't.

I remember sitting one time and just eating junk and more junk, and there was never that turn off switch. It tasted good so I ate more.

You can get full of meat and protein foods though. They seem to be self limiting. How much steak can you eat and still want more? Eventually enough is enough. Not true with ice cream, candy or cookies.

The other thing I think is that sometimes when we think we are hungry we are really thirsty. I suppose if you were constantly drinking water and fulfilling your thirst, you would know more when you were thirsty and when you really were hungry. I know I've had times when I thought I wanted ice cream. I've gotten a bowl of ice cream and while eating it have realized that what I really wanted was ice WATER. That I wanted that cold refreshing feeling in my mouth, but not the creamy or sugary part. For some of us we can't always tell the difference between thirst and hunger. I think for that reason, it might be a good habit to cultivate. When you think you are hungry, drink a big glass of ice water first and see if you still feel hungry.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillegal
Oh wow, what I wouldn't pay to have that automatic turn-off switch. Left to my own devices, I could happily eat pretty much all day long and way past the point of being full (in fact, that's exactly what I did for years). I truly believe that skinny and/or normal people are wired differently than us. I'm not using that as an excuse, because we do have the power to force ourselves to turn off the switch ~ just saying its makes it more difficult...
I believe we're wired differently as well. Otherwise there wouldn't be a problem. Sure, we may still eat crap, but we wouldn't be driven to eat it until we burst, that's the difference. I also agree that we can learn to manually flip that switch, but only because I've experienced it for myself and know it to be true. There's no way you could have convinced me of this in the old days, I was certain that I was destined to be obese, and that I had no control over it. It never occurred to me that somewhere deep down, I was allowing the food/cravings/emotions to run the show, and that I could choose to disallow it at any time. Finally learning to hold myself truly responsible for my own choices and actions has been a major factor in making this time my one last time.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #12  
Born Loser

It's just interesting to get a glimpse into others lives and see what it's like. It's not the best having to build our own switch but it does work and it's something I can be happy with.

And yes I did have to finish shave and a hair cut. And I have never in my life put down a half slice of pizza and leave it.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

What the heck is "shave and a haircut"? Another one of those wacky American things?
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Hehe it's a little 7-note jingle. Hard to re-create without audio, but if you heard it, you'd probably recognize it. When you hear it, if someone stops at the 5th note... you sort of feel compelled to sing the last two notes! It's maddening, I tell ya!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #15  
Born Loser

I thought of you last night Jill. I went and seen V for Vendetta and the main character wore a Guy Fawkes mask. I remember you talking about Guy Fawkes Day at some point. It was a great movie if you get the chance to see it. Even for a crazy American.