General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Default WORK FROM HOME...are they for real?

Has anyone tried one of the numerous work from home "opportunities" advertised? I am really interested to try some, but the starter kit fees and registration fees get me suspicious and I'm like, "Yeah, right. I'm gonna give you $40 and never hear from you again. Or worse, you'll ask for more money for different reasons." I wanna try but I'm **chicken**! Has anybody been brave enough to try these things, particularly the computer ones?

Last edited by MiaManning; 03-24-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

These are "pyramid schemes" basically you advertise more like the advert you saw, then the people who reply to you give you money like you did to the advert you applied to. It's money for old rope and the guy at the top gets rich and the poor people at the bottom are shelling out $40 for fresh air.

It's hocum and money for nothing, and a scam.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, 2frus...

and by the way, your blog is very entertaining. I felt like I was reading a good book! Hilarious!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #4  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

RED FLAG!

Any time an organization wants you to pay them to start working for them (even if it's allegedly to *start your own business*), you should be leery. Personally, I'd stay away.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Thank you! I didn't know anybody actually READ it!!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #6  

I agree, no legitimate company charges you to work for them. I do know several people who succesfully work from home but they each created their own opportunity. I have one friend who does bookeeping for a couple of small local business, another who does interior design, yet another who does catering, and another who does medical transcription (she didn't answer an ad. She had experience in the field and made arrangements with medical offices she was familiar with). You might also consider researching companies in your area. Telecommuting is becoming increasingly popular, although you may have to prove yourself on-site for a time.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #7  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Hi - I do work at home but I am a medical transcriptionist. I took classes at a community college, then worked for a company in their office for a few months of training, then started working at home. There are pros and cons to working at home, just like there are pros and cons to working anywhere else.

I agree with the above posters that most of these work-at-home ads are scams. I also feel that most of the mail-order training programs, like the one for medical transcriptionists, are also scams and wouldn't go that route.

Best wishes!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Mia, these schemes are going on for YEARS! It used to be $5 for your starter kit; LOL so now it is $40? I once warned a friend about this but he wanted to check me out so dutifully sent in his $$$... what he got... and what YOU will get... is some info and the "opportunity" to send in even MORE $$$ to get MORE info... etc. My advice is to save your $$$$$. Send it in and you are kissing it bye bye LOL
Old 03-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #9  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I own a small online business and work partly from home. It IS possible, but in my opinion all the advertised 'work from home' ads are scams. pm me if you wanna hear me blab about it LOL

Lacey
Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #10  
gotta lose it!

I have a second job as an AVON rep.....it's $10 to start & you have to pay for your books ($20 gets 100 of them) AVON also gives you 50% commission the first 4 campaigns so you can save for demos, etc. I like it, but you get what you put in.....I've been lazy lately & just tossed books, no following up & made $100 for the month.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #11  

Personally I did not mean to imply that it is not possible to work from home. I've done it! But the ads telling people to send in $$$ for "starter kits" with no idea what they are for are in my opinion nearly 100% crocks... which IS what the original question was and what I was responding to. But good clarifications, Lacey and Fab!! And I doubt if either of you paid the fees upfront without knowing what it was all about first!!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Research the company with BBB. Most are lists to companies that provide that kind of work (but doesn't mean they will provide that work). You can find this stuff yourself and you still have to contact these companies yourself. It doesn't work. The best thing you can do is think of a niche that needs to be filled and a skill or interest you have.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #13  

Another thing I have known people to do... actually pay the $$$ and receive the products they are supposed to work on. They DO a huge bunch of the work and send it in... and never hear from company again and never seen any pay! Good idea about researching with BBB!!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/NA/140

I work part time from home taking orders for a large restaurant chain and taking orders for a large television shopping network (using my telephone and computer). I did NOT pay any money to get started with this, I make about an extra $600 per month.

I also work for a teleservices company and the majority of those calls are for infomercials you see on TV like the Magic Bullet Blender, I don't like this type of thing as much b/c there is a lot of pressuring customer to buy additional items, but I'll do it if necessary. I paid $30 for a background check with that company and that's it, and before I paid the $30 I "attended" a teleconference where the HR person gave all the details of the job. The $30 was tax deductible and I made it back in no time.

If any of you are intersted in this just PM me and I can direct you to a TON of resources. Unfortunately many of the WAH (work at home) "opportunites" are scams and require you to front the job with money just for information. You should NEVER have to pay money for information on a job.

HTH

Meg
Closed Thread