Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Talking *Rant!* lol

I bought the Becel flavor spray yesterday...and I've decided that I'm giving up on popcorn, because I can't find ANYTHING that works to pour over it that is diet healthy. Well, that and the fact that snacking on anything like that (i.e., chips, trail mix) doesn't work for me, because I don't want to stop (and invariably don't) once I get started.
Just a small bowl of popcorn...with the recommended five shots of flavoring...was so dry! I feel like I would have to spray each kernel individually to get any taste.
And why doesn't Crystal Light make ALL of their drink crystals in singles packets? I bought three differant flavors...not realizing that they were big packets that you have to mix in a pitcher. I don't even own a pitcher And I was really hoping that I would be able to just pop them in a water bottle and bring them to work.

Oh well! Today I've been really good...in preparation for supper, because I'm taking my sister to Red Lobster for her birthday! I've never been there, and I've never had lobster...but I love shrimp. I'm so excited!
Plus, I baked a really sugary, fattening cheesecake (even tho I used light cream cheese, it called for 3 packages!!) for her birthday cake. And I 'tasted' less than a tsp of it, even though my boyfriend literally LICKED the bowl. *LOL*

It's really nice out, so I'm in a great mood!

Have a good day!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #2  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1
I bought the Becel flavor spray yesterday...and I've decided that I'm giving up on popcorn, because I can't find ANYTHING that works to pour over it that is diet healthy.
I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but what I do is stand at my air popper and as the popcorn is coming out of the chute, I spritz it with fat-free butter spray, doing it in layers so all (or most, anyway) of the popcorn gets coated. If I want extra flavor, I'll also sprinkle in some cheddar-flavored popcorn seasoning.

Damn, now I want some popcorn, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #3  

I did try that, but it still seems as though I would have to spray every kernel of corn in order to get any result. I used Kernel's Dill Pickle flavoring, but the corn was so dry that it all fell to the bottom of the bowl.
I was expecting the flavor spray to be.....more of a spray and less of a spritz. W/E!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/205/120 PREGNANT!

Something that usually works for me (i'm doing it as i type actually hehe) is to take a tiny container (bowl, baggie, whatever) and put in the recommended one or two servings of what I'm eating in it. Then I put away whatever it is I'm snacking on deep in the cupboard because I am generally to lazy to walk back and pull it out again. I also try and snack only when I am busy with something else that requires my hands...like writing in forums This keeps my hands moving to the snack bowl more slowly giving my body more of a chance to catch up on the "satisfied" feeling. I like to snack on things like wheat thins that have some salty taste to them because it makes me thirsty...and when I'm downing the water in between bites I am far less hungry.
just my two cents, I know exactly how it is with popcorn...for me it must be DRENCHED in butter and I can't stop eating it once I start.

s. =)

suddenly susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_a_dreamy1
I did try that, but it still seems as though I would have to spray every kernel of corn in order to get any result. I used Kernel's Dill Pickle flavoring, but the corn was so dry that it all fell to the bottom of the bowl.
I was expecting the flavor spray to be.....more of a spray and less of a spritz. W/E!
Goodness, girl, you're supposed to flavor it, not saturate it.

lol

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #6  

susan, good idea!

linda, i know! lol me + snacking = bad news!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Be aware that those sprays are not calorie-free

If you use a lot of it, you are piling on the calories. You are only supposed to use a light spritz.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #8  

I found a way to get around the big packets of Crystal Light!!

I use 1/2 tsp. of powder per one 591 mL bottle of water. You might want to make it sweeter according to taste, but I can't imagine it needing much more than that. I love the pink lemonade, and I bought the strawberry kiwi (yummy!) and lemonade one, too (haven't tried it yet).