South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  

Default Been wondering about Tofutti treats...

...since I like them, but have been staying away from them. I'm fairly certain they aren't great for SBD, but I'd like to know specifically why (probably the corn and coconut oils should be my first clue). Here are the ingredients of the two treats I like best.

Choc. Fudge Treats: water, maltodextrin, sorbitol, polydextrose, cocoa processed with alkali, isolated soy protein, tofu, vegetable mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, vanilla with other natural flavors, aspartame, salt.

Calories: 30; Fat: 0; Carbs: 6; Sugars: 0; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 86 mg

Also,
Tofutti Delights: water, corn oil, maltodextrin, sorbitol, polydextrose, cocoa processed with alkali, isolated soy protein, tofu, vegetable mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, aspartame, salt.

Choc. coating: coconut oil, sorbitol, polydextrose, cocoa processed with alkali, soy lecithin, salt, vanillin.

Calories: 120; Fat: 7g; Sat. Fat: 2g; Carbs: 7g; Sugars: 0; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 80mg
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I'm not sure about corn oil, but coconut oil is really bad for you.

Polydextrose sounds like a regular sugar...does anyone know? If it is, that would be your reason right there.

Maltodextrin...not familiar with the '-in' ending...does anyone know if this is a real or a fake sugar? The 'malto-' part sounds worrysome...makes me think of what Dr. A said about maltose being the worst form of sugar.

That said, if both turn out to be 'fake' sugars, you could probably get away with the first one you listed.

On the other hand, SBD is all about getting away from processed foods. So if I were you, I'd try not to eat them too often, even if they don't have any sugar. We all want a treat now and then...and there's no reason to be legalistic about SBD or any plan...but try to keep the spirit of it. Someone here said that they try to avoid eating anything they can't pronounce or don't recognize. For example, I don't know what Carageenan is (though I see it on ingredient lists all the time) and couldn't say it right...so it doesn't belong in my body. Make sense?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #3  

Thanks. I checked out polydextrose and found this from Whole Foods:

Polydextrose is a multi-purpose additive synthesized from dextrose (glucose), plus about 10 percent sorbitol and 1 percent citric acid. It is commonly used as a replacement for sugar, starch, and fat in commercial cakes, candies, dessert mixes, gelatins, frozen desserts, puddings, and salad dressings. The amount of polydextrose used can vary depending on the type of product, examples include frozen dessert, 13 to 14 percent; puddings, 8 to 9 percent; and cake 15 to 16 percent.

Also, I learned that carrageenan is a thickening agent derived from seaweed. And it's fun to say out loud.

I guess they aren't the best treats, so I'll stick with NSA fudgsicles.
SunLit is offline   Reply With Quote