Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default I am scared to go on stabilization/maintenance

Why can't I just continue eating what's on the Gold Plan for the rest of my life? OK, this might not be feasible, I guess I just don't understand how this whole stabilization/maintenance thing works. If they are adding in food and your body is used to a smaller amount of food it makes sense that you will gain but when will you start to not gain? I don't want to risk gaining. I've worked too hard. Does anyone else feel this way? I guess after reading some of the posts about maintenance I am worried.
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

How close to goal are you?
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #3  

I have 12 pounds to go. 125 is my goal.
loseitlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #4  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Laura--I think somewhere deep inside we all fear that unknown world of the "what-ifs" of Stab. and Maint., but think about how great you have done on the program and all that you have learned about how to eat for yourself. You have all the tools to continue being successful on whatever phase of the plan you are on. In my mind I think once I reach goal I just want to stay within a few pounds. If I slip and gain a little--back to hardcore plan or TO to get back on track. WTG on only 12 #'s to goal!!
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #5  
PurpleSunshine

Laura - ditto to Boo's mom - you have worked hard, and from what Deets has said in previous posts - it is hard, nothing is easy when it comes to the weightloss journey, but you've accomplished the first phase - I think you just have to accomplish learning the next phase of the journey - I can't speak from experience for LAWL maintenance, but I can maintain easier than I can lose - think of it as a promotion!!!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #6  

I don't really get it either - I am supposed to be on stabilization right now - I had an appt last Saturday and didn't go in - I haven't been OP and just couldn't face it...

but that being said, I've been the same weight since before Christmas, so it seems I am able to MAINTAIN all by myself. Although I want to get back on track and lose 5-8 more lbs since I actually have gained about 3-5 lbs in the past month
slimmerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #7  
milkyway

S/C/G: 243/222/170

Slimmerkim:
I agree with the girls, but in a way you should be proud. Come on you are a step close to finished this weight loss journey and also you are able to mantain your weight that long and that's great, give it a try, check if it works for you!
rad7775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Youre dead on with the explanation of the metabolism....I really need to take your advice. Slimmerkim, my sister...I hear you! I AM MAINTAINING in the weight loss plan, not good. I was doing good adding stuff here and there and then this weekend (same as last) despite not eating ANYTHING unusual, I went up 2 pounds. By last Friday Id gotten most of that off when BOOM, Sunday hit and again, up 2 pounds. I was just about to add in the extra fruits and veggies (week 2) and then got nervous and am doing TO this week..it is frustrating.
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear
I am no doctor, but I think your metabolism will eventually slow to match what you are eating, right? If you're eating 1200 calories and your metabolism is about that much, you don' thave a lot of wiggle room and it seems it would be very hard to maintain. I think the goal of the stabilization is to keep adding 1 food at a time to try to rev your metabolism back up so you can eat more food (which will probably help you stay on track for life) and not gain a bunch of weight. I think that is why they add stuff slowly and try to see how far you can go without gaining weight back.
Well, the whole reason for the plans is to set you at a calorie level that will have you losing weight. If you lose weight, and made it to goal on 1200 calories-then 1200 calories is a weight loss level for you. A maintenance level of calories will be more than that-and the purpose of maintenance/stabilization is to slowly add calories and figure out at what level you eat for maintenance. It will be different for everyone. If you are raised up to 1300 for a week or two and don't gain, then they can raise it up a little more to 1400. If you don't gain on that-then the can raise it again, and so forth.
You don't want to continue to eat at "weight loss" level for the rest of your life once you have reached goal. You want to be able to eat a little more than that for the rest of your life-the key is finding the proper level for you to do that. It is nothing to be scared of.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote