Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Apnea...

So I've had a difficult time not with losing weight but keeping it off. I've been to my doctor recently because I've been sick a lot and waking up in the middle of the night feeling like someone was holding a pillow over my head. My doctor thinks I have sleep apnea which and hinder weightloss because you are so tired during the day. I was always attributing my daytime sleepiness to my hypothyroidism but I go in for an overnight sleep study on Thursday since my home sleep test showed me to be mid to high risk apnea and hypopnea.

Anyone else have experience with this? Did you feel better after using a CPAP? Was losing weight easier due to getting a better nights sleep?
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #2  

Cool

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 5 years ago after several sleep studies. I have a c-pap. It helps me a little but I still don't get enough sleep. But then there seems to be something else going on with me than the apnea which the doctors can't diagnose or don't want to deal with. When I was at the sleep center I met several people who swore by their c-paps. Hopefully, the machine will make a difference for you. It is easier to stay on a healthy eating and exercise program when you have enough sleep. Good luck with your test.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I had sleep apnea (I could never sleep on my back without waking myself up with a big gasp for air). When I lost about 75 pounds, it completely went away and I haven't had a problem sleeping on my back. I'm finally getting some control over my sleep patterns now using light therapy, but that's another issue entirely. I do find it easier to exercise during the day when I'm not exhausted, so I say my improved sleeping status helps my weight loss. And going to bed at a normal time keeps those late night eating sessions away too.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:07 AM   #4  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

I don't have apnea, but I do have a sleep disorder of some sort (don't know what, insurance won't cover sleep study so I can't get one until I get married), but we can rule out apnea and restless leg. Anyway, I get so sleepy that I feel like when it is not under control that it can be a major obstactle. When you are sleepy you are so busy fighting to stay awake that you do what you can- and eating can help you stay awake. Also, for me, when things tend to get out of control in terms of my health I just cannot focus on diet. I feel like I am trying to juggle so many balls allready and not handling that, and diet would just be another thing that would cause me to freak out.

So get the apnea under control and then focus on diet again, I would say. You don't want to set yourself up for failure.
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote