General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Question Sciatica (again) - leg weakness - temporary?

Hi - still suffering from the sciatica although the pain is much better. My concern is that my leg is still sort of numb and it seems a little weaker than the other. At this point, my pain is from standing or walking for more than a few minutes at a time. Sitting no longer hurts.

Many of you who have had this were kind enough to share your stories and advice - do the above symptoms ring a bell with anyone and did they get better? I am sweating that I might have to have surgery. I go tomorrow morning for my MRI results, but would love to hear some firsthand experiences with this.

Thanks!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

I had sciatica back in 1999 when I had a 10-day back spasm that kicked my butt! That was actually what drove me to go from ~210 pounds down to 156 Sadly I forgot how much being over 200 sucked... and now I'm back on the losing track - now I have another back issue driving me to do it... heh!

Anyway! In my case, my left leg became useless for a few days, not just weak. I had no idea how heavy a leg was until I had to lift myself off the floor by bracing myself on a coffee table and listing with my arms and one semi-good leg.

As the spasm relented, my leg gained strength... but I had tingling, numbness, pins-and-needles, and jabs of pain that made it go out briefly as it recovered. All I assume from nerves getting squashed by the vertebra/disk being pulled out of alignment.

I hope for you that it goes away on its own But if you DO end getting "surged" - I can share that my mom had surgery for bad disks and after suffering through years of back spasms. Good news: she has not had a single twinge after that surgery healed up over 15 years ago!

Best healthy wishes!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #3  
Getting back on track

Thank you Sarah - sorry you went through that! Glad you're better! Gives me hope as well!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 PM   #4  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

yes, I had the same symptoms and I kept ignoring it until it just got worse. Post surgery I still have little to no feeling in my two smallest toes on that leg and I believe it's from so much damage done to that nerve because I let it go to long. You're doing the right thing by having it looked at, I do hope that everything goes well for you. Just keep away from strenuous activity and lifting heavy things (even groceries!!) until your doctor gives you the okay

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:31 AM   #5  

When I had my first bad bout of sciatica right after having my first child - I had numbness in my leg immediately... told the nurse about it, and she said just to move it around (grrrr)... at home it got worse.. and eventually gave way while I was standing on it... so yes, numbness and weakness that subsided with time. Haven't had any sciatica for a long time, and the other night took a good walk but it was colder than normal for So Cal... got it that night... but after advil and a heating pad, and some stretching, no more pain... so have faith, it does get better!
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #6  
Getting back on track

Smile Thank you

It is definitely comforting to know that others have had these symptoms and they weren't permanent.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm anxious to know how your tests turn out. Keep in touch will ya?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote