General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #1  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Wink Whoops! Mallwalking + Food Court = Uh Oh!

I'm still new to the whole mallwalking thing. Made my second attempt at it today. From my last experience, I learned not to wear a heavy coat while mallwalking. And I learned that there are a lot of strollers at the mall ("strollers" being people who just sort of saunter along, not baby strollers) and it can be a challenge to dodge around them.

What I didn't learn from last time was how much allure the Food Court has during lunchtime!!! ooooo the aromas! Fortunately, I willed myself to walk a little faster so I could get *out* of the Food Court area, but I can see where that particular section of the mall could spell utter disaster if one isn't careful (or if one is in a vunerable state).

Next time, I won't turn down that corridor! Oh, and I won't carry a handbag (amazing how heavy that thing got during lap 3!).

TGIF everyone!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #2  
Meg

Congrats on getting started! Boy do I hear you on the food court! I generally walk into our mall through the food court (most accessible entrance to where I park) and run the gauntlet of DQ, Cinnabon, Au Bon Pain and all the others. Eyes straight ahead!

What kills me about the mallwalkers at our mall is that they tend to get there early in the morning, walk, and then sit around drinking coffee and eating the aforementioned Cinnabon and Au Bon Pain!!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Lena, glad you were able to hurry on through that food court!!!

And one nice option to a purse is a small backpack... they are great as you can still take your water bottle and whatever you need but just flip it over onto your back if it gets heavy. I got a nice small size one on eBay that I carry all the time instead of a purse.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #4  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Well done on the mall walking Lena. Hubby and I go to different large malls every Saturday, as much for the walk as the shopping.

I always make sure I have a good breakfast when I go and that I have healthy snacks waiting for me in the car, so I am not tempted to buy any junk food while at the mall.

I do find that you take your life in your hands at times when walking in the mall. I do other exercise, so don't walk too fast when in the mall, but I still tend to walk faster than most people. What bugs me though are the people who just stop or change direction all of a sudden, without checking if someone is coming. We have had near collisions a number of times because of this. I try to be more aware of who is around me when I go mall walking. (Mind you, I still worry I'm going to walk into someone because I am always checking out my reflection in the shop windows, just making sure that it IS me that I see there - still not used to actually having a 'figure')

Have fun with your walking!

Zelma
Old 03-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #5  

Zelma I love looking at your pictures... the transformation is absolutely amazing. You look stunning!!!!! Congratulations!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #6  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks Dance. Sad thing is that I love looking at them too, which means that I am probably WAY too vain. I just can't get used to that being 'me'. As I've said, I've never been this size as an adult and it is a real novelty.

Thanks again for the compliment.

Zelma
Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #7  

Hi Zelma... Oh no no no it is NOT too much vanity for you to enjoy seeing your accomplishment! The reason I know that is because if you were being vain about it you would not be here encouraging the rest of us to succeed too!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We did a bit of a mall walk yesterday. I'll bet it was 3:30 and there were folks in the food court eating A&W etc. Not kids! Intelligent enough looking adults. It kinda creeped me out.

Those cinnamon bun places are the worst! You can smell them forever!
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #9  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Susan, I bet the Cinnabun places have specially made fans that just pump the aroma out into the corridors. Diabolical!

I know what you mean, Zelma, abut having to be aware of other shoppers, strollers, saunterers, etc! Can make it a bit if a challenge to not run into them!

As a side note, I love looking at your photos, too -- such an inspiration!

Anyway, made another mallwalking foray today. Teeeny, weeny across-the-shoulder shoulderbag, check (thanks for the reminder, Dance). No jacket, check (making the run from the car was... chilly!!!). Pedometer securely in pocket, check. Ready, set, GO!

It was great! Did 4 laps in just about 40 minutes and really enjoyed it! Gave and received a little knowing nod to and from all the other mallwalkers (I'd never really noticed them before but now I can spot them right off!).

Rewarded myself with a trip to Barnes & Noble! Not the Food Court!

Next time, though, I may take the IPod.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 AM   #10  

I haven't done mallwalking in ages! But I might try that when it gots hot this summer as I absolutely HATE hot weather!
Closed Thread