Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #1  

Default Birth Control Pill RANT!

Bear with me b/c I feel like I need a book like "BCPs for dummies" - I've was on BCPs when I first met DH and got married, but then have been off of them for 7 yrs and now back on - mainly to help with really heavy AF.

Anyway- the first month I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding - was told it was normal. Great - like having AF twice that month (at least it was very light).

So I'm on to my 2nd pack, and I forget ONE pill on Friday night, and by Saturday night, AF arrives - is this real AF or just more breakthrough bleeding? I took the next pill Sat night and again tonight - but I didn't know if I should just stop and let it be a real AF, then start up again, or WHAT? So now I have about 1 1/2 weeks of pills left before the scheduled AF starts.

I don't really understand BCPs and how they work with the hormones and everything and how AF can start almost immediately after one missed pill. Anyone have any insight?
slimmerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:36 AM   #2  
playin' for keeps

Keep goin'! ...At least that's the advice I got from my doctor if I missed a pill.
I'd definitely suggest calling your doctor to make sure everything's cool, but it's probably just your body getting used to them. And if it keeps being annoying you can always ask to switch pills. There are a zillion kinds and they all have different effects.

Good luck!
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #3  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

As long as it's regular BCP and not the mini-pill - If you forget one pill, then you can double up and take two the next day to get caught up and still should be safe. However, if you miss more than one, you can still double up (maybe 2 days of two pills) but the results aren't so safe. You might want to use alternative protection for a month. If you miss more than three days, best just chuck the pack and start over again after AF. I'm not a doctor or nurse and haven't used oral contraception in a long time but that's how I remember it. I'd ask your doctor just to be sure.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 272.5/266.5/135

Height: 5'6"

You might also try a different type of BC.....like the NuvaRing. I never had any break through and I also didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday. There are all types of BC that you could look into. I don't like the way the BCP makes me act....I get real mean, so we tried something new. Also, the IUD is great too. Good Luck.
mommieof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #5  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

I have an IUD an I love it.Dont have to worry about it for 5 years. Just have to have it checked at my yearly exam and I can have it removed anytime before the 5 years if I want to have another baby.The depo shot did really good for me the first time and I loved it(was on it about 2 years) but the second time(6 months) I had a side effect of no sex drive!awful! But it affects everyone different.I dont care for BC pills. I can barely remeber my vitamin everyday.
angelica1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommieof2
You might also try a different type of BC.....like the NuvaRing. I never had any break through and I also didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday. There are all types of BC that you could look into. I don't like the way the BCP makes me act....I get real mean, so we tried something new. Also, the IUD is great too. Good Luck.
Nuvaring is extremely easy to use and remember, and the "same hormones" as the BC pills...at least that is what my dr. said
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #7  
Katie

Height: 5'1

IUD all the way baby!!! So easy, nothing to remember, no hormones. Mary, pills make me mean(er) too. I know just what you are saying.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Kim, same thing happens to me. In fact, I JUST stopped AF for the last THREE WEEKS! I missed one too by about 6 hrs and then had spotting for two weeks until regular AF came last week. Nightmare Also, my drs office said to be sure to use back up protection for that month, so Id advise the same to you unless you want a fourth, LOL!!!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #9  

Thanks gals - the reason I decided to take the pill was to make AF lighter. And after three packs just to get used to them, I can take them non-stop and only have 3-4 AF a year -well, I guess unless I forget.

Does an IUD or the nuvaring, etc.... help with heavy AF - that's my main goal here - obviously to prevent pg, but if I happened to get pg, it wouldn't be the end of the world. thanks for you help!

Oh and on the subject of LAWL - I'm going back in to the center after THREE weeks off - OMG, I can't imagine the damage
slimmerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Good luck at COD I just came back with my Maintennance book, its really cool!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #11  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

AAAHHHHH...Maintenance--you are an inspiration
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 4"

ok, I'm lost... AF?
MetalChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #13  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

What's up Metal, how are you? AF = Aunt Flo.
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #14  

I'm ok, but I feel really stupid now...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #15  

The ob/gyn put my on Seasonale and I only have my period every 10 weeks now. I take pills for 9 weeks and I'm off for a week. He put me on it to try to control my mentrual migraines.