Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #1  
banned

Default couch to 5k

has anyone tried the couch to 5k plan over at the cool running site? did it help you lose a lot of weight? if you did it, did you do any other things along with it like pilates or weight training? thanks in advance!!
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #2  

I've just started it, but I have heard lots of good things about it. Of course, I'm taking it probably 3 times as slow as even they suggest lol Good luck!

Beth
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #3  
banned

thanks for replying ejm.

and umm....anyone else going to reply???? i know more than one person on this whole board has done this program. it'd be great if people could reply to my posts!! It seems no one ever does
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #4  

I tried the C25K program a while back but got frustrated after a little while because I didn't think I was progressing like I should, time/distance wise. Turns out I was just running faster than I should have been. Right now I'm doing something similar to the C25K program and just today I was able to run (well...slowly jog) for 28 minutes straight, no walking.

From your first post it sounds like you're trying to find out if taking up running will cause a lot of weight loss. That I'm afraid I can't answer as I haven't lost much weight. Perhaps you might get more responses in the maintainers forum since they have lost a lot of weight and they can tell you how responsible running was to their success. I do know that fat loss results from a caloric deficit and some form of exercise is a must.

Also, running/jogging is my cardio and I also weight train 4 days a week.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I did couck to 5k. I haven't lost any weight doing it, but I'm so close to goal it would be different for me. I also weight train and kickbox, so it was only a supplememntary exercise anyway.

I do love the programme, it really eases you into running and I was majorly impressed at being able to run for 30 minutes non-stop.

As to whether you lose weight, that's down to your eating and your calorie burn while you run. It really is calories in, calories out!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  
Domestic Engineer

I have been doing this! I think I'm on week 5 or 6. Haven't done the long 20 minute jog, but have worked up to 9 minutes without stopping which is amazing for me! I also take the speed super slow- but it's working for me. I figure I can work on speed later.
AS for weight loss- yes I have lost 1bout 16 lbs- can't credit all with the running, but I do believe running is a great workout and efficient fat burner. I'm also doing t-tapp (www.t-tapp.com) on the off days- it's kind of like pilates- lots of strength and stretching stuff.
HTH!
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

I did this program about 5.5 years ago, and while I did get into running, I can't say that I lost a lot of weight doing it - but I did lose 2 sizes! You really need both exercise and diet to lose weight. Since then I've gained back a fair amount of weight, but I'm trying to do C25K again so I can use running for cardio in the summer....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I didn't do couch to 5k, but I did start running and built up from nothing, and I credit it with almost all of my weight loss to date. Now I'm running rather more than 5k to be fair, but I love running as a form of exercise, and it really did work for me.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I did the couch to 5k program summer 2004. I was losing weight at the time, but that was more due to careful calorie counting and lots of walking than 30 minutes of walk/jog 3x per week. I've slowly worked my way up to about 50k/week. But even now, I have to be careful about what I eat to lose weight. (The upside to all the running is that I can eat quite a lot without gaining.) It did totally reshape the lower half of my body though. I've always had bigger thighs, but now they look muscular rather than just fat. And my hips are narrower than pre-kids.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Danzer -- I have never done the Cto5K but I did start running and this has made me lose the weight that I wanted the fastest... But I was eating well and weight training before starting, I just needed the boost to my lifestyle. You need the "Trinity" -- Clean eats, Cardio and Weight training....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 180/170/145

I did C25K about two years ago and have been running ever since. It's a great way to start running. I can't say I lost any weight though.

Diane
littlerozzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #12  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I'm doing the couch to 5k training program. My 5K is in 1 month's time and so far so good. I can't say that I'm sticking 100% to the training though, as it was a little too much for me, being a newbie to running and all. I am very happy with the results though, and can now run almost 25 minutes. Following the training schedule has given me a 'purpose'...if that makes sense and I'm very confident as to what my results in the upcoming 5k will be. I would say since I started the training and food journalling, I have lost almost 10 lbs. SO ITS WORKING!!! Good luck!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #13  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

heres a question....... at what weight did u start running? or should i say how many of u started at over 200 lbs?
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #14  
Domestic Engineer

I started probably at 230.
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #15  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I started the C25K program last Nov, and it was part of weight loss plan. I combined it with walking 5K per day and dieting. I have lost almost 30 pounds since then. I completed my first 5K early Jan and can run up to 5 miles now. It's a great program and really does work.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote