Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #1  

Question how do you enter Curves workout in Fitday?

Hi chicks! I went for my first workout this morning and had a blast! For those of you who use Fitday to capture your food and activity -- how do you count Curves? General Circuit training or general health club or something else?

Thanks for your help!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #2  

I put it under circuit training. Good luck!
fruitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #3  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

That is a good question Schatzi, one that I haven't completely figured out for myself. What I did was talk with the Curves staff and had them help me figure out how many calories (approximately) that I was burning in a 1/2 hour Curves workout, based on my weight and level of activity during the workout, and then looked at the different activities on fitday that were the closest to that amount of calories burned. Does that make sense?

Also, I did a lot of searches to see what was said about the amount of cals burned at Curves to try and get that information.

Good luck, and if you find a better answer post back and let us know!!!

Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #4  

Thankyou curlygurl and fruitser! Curly, the research you've done is what I am doing.. I'll let you know if I come up with something else to consider. For now, I logged it under curcuit training.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #5  

Schatzi, you got me curious, so I did a Google search on "curves workout calories burned." The first article that comes up quotes a health & fitness expert as saying a 175-pound person probably burns about 300 calories in a 30-minute Curves workout.

But the next couple of articles quote a Curves workout study that was done by the American Council on Exercise. That study says that the women averaged between 150 and 233 calories burned in the 30-minute workout. Here's a link to the story on the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Mar14.html
Old 03-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #6  

Thanks for sharing the info Fruitser. --that article was interesting.. I guess I should look for an activity in fitday to equate to around 180 - 200 cals.. I'm really enjoying the workouts though..We go around 3 times -- nobody counts, so if I wanted to add another go around I probably could. I plan to add more aerobic on my off curve days. How long have you been going?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #7  

I put it under circuit training also. I usually do about 45 mintues there not counting stretching.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #8  

I have been going to Curves for 2 months now. Like you Schatzi, I really enjoy the atmosphere. I never feel out of place, like I did at other gyms.

I'm still going to put the workout under circuit training on Fitday. I go 3-4 times per week, and try to do 3 circuits. Unlike what Curves tells you to do, I work extra hard on the boards because then it feels like I get more of an aerobic workout.

I'm still struggling with my non-Curves days. Sometimes I manage to do a workout tape or go for a long walk, but most days I still find excuses. It's one of the things I need to work on.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #9  

Valerie- Good going on your lose so far-you've done soooo well! I'm looking forward to seeing if I lose inches my first month... I was properly humbled and shocked by the "taking of the measurements" and they measured my body fat%.. Let's just say I'm amazed that I am erect and have identifiable body parts. - I am a Human Jelly fish! Well, I'm off to Curves again.. Gonna shoot for 4 or 5 times a week fer now.. may go down to 3 when I find a good supplement for off curve workouts.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163.4/120/132

Height: 5'1"

I just LOVE Curves! I'm on day 21 of my diet and fitness plan now and I've been going to Curves 5 days a week and doing 2x around instead of 3. If you're going to go more often than the recommended 3 days a week, the folks there say it's better to do 2x instead of 3x around so you don't burn/build too much muscle.

Good luck!
Liz
snowgal is offline   Reply With Quote