General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #1  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default Anyone out there on Hormone Replacment Therapy

Hey Ladies

I have a huge decision to make and i need your help. some of you kow this, I have gone through 2 bouts of cancer treatment. I am 25. Becuase of the chemo and radiation that I was treated with, I am now in "premature ovarian failure". The doctor wants to put me on HRT. I DO NOT want to because it has been shown to cause breast cancer (twice with mr.C is enough!). I am reading all these things about how it causes breast cancer however, the docs said that since I am so young, that not producing estrogin will lead to brittle bones and osteoporosis. Also the statistics indicate women over 50 who have taken HRT for more than 5 years are more likely to develope breast cancer. (ummm I will be taking it for the rest of my life)

What make my situation different? yes I am 25 but I am technically going though menopause. my age may say 25 but my reproductive system is "50" so how is my situation is different?????

so anyway I just wanted your 2 cents!
Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #2  

Default Hrt

I will not presume to give medical advise but I can tell you that like you, my sister needed HRT at 25 or 26 but she refused it (this was 27 years ago and everyone thought she was crazy). Instead she chose to continue with her vegetarian, all organic diet. She is very careful what she eats.
I always tell her that she can be the poster "child" for organic food.
She is in perfect health and does not look all wan and skinny like a lot of vegetarians do.

I hope that you find your way to a healthy long life. I can ask my sister for recommendations if you are interested.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #3  
Want them Muscles!

jrnyc--

thanks for the advice. Please if you could ask your sister for recommendations that would be great. Also, has she had any problems with her bones?

Thanks again.

Bonniebell--
Thanks for your help. I am checkout out the web as well!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
Hey Ladies

I have a huge decision to make and i need your help. some of you kow this, I have gone through 2 bouts of cancer treatment. I am 25. Becuase of the chemo and radiation that I was treated with, I am now in "premature ovarian failure". The doctor wants to put me on HRT. I DO NOT want to because it has been shown to cause breast cancer (twice with mr.C is enough!). I am reading all these things about how it causes breast cancer however, the docs said that since I am so young, that not producing estrogin will lead to brittle bones and osteoporosis. Also the statistics indicate women over 50 who have taken HRT for more than 5 years are more likely to develope breast cancer. (ummm I will be taking it for the rest of my life)

What make my situation different? yes I am 25 but I am technically going though menopause. my age may say 25 but my reproductive system is "50" so how is my situation is different?????

so anyway I just wanted your 2 cents!
Thanks
Find a doctor that will prescribe natural hormones!!!!!!!! Here are two books to read:
Hormones Health and Happiness by Steven Hotze MD
The Hormone Solution by Erika Schwartz MD
As you see they are both doctors and make a very good case about the safety and effectiveness of NATURAL hormones, and why they are not widely used (all about the $$).
Please please please do this! You are to young to be on regular HRT! Longterm on that is horrible!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

fitgal, please accept my sympathy and admiration for enduring the unendurable.

In addition to the lovely advice you've been given, I want to add two lovely books: Before the Change and Hot Times. The former is a book on perimenopause and the latter is a book on menopause, both by Ann Louise Gittleman. I used both to get me through "the change" without prescription HRT and I feel FABULOUS! Read the books recommended to you. Make an informed decision, and then go out and live a full and happy life.

You deserve it!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

Gosh, I feel like crying.

My Dad asked our family doctor about the situation. The Doc said if I don't take them I will get old very quickly. He also said that is would likely be a low dose, like that of Birth control pills...I am doing a lot of research on the net and so far i am not impressed. My gut is telling me NOT to take that crud!!!

Thank you all for helping, keep the info coming!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  

I'm tellin ya.... natural is the way to go
Birth control pills are not natural hormones.
Don't cry Let us know how you make out!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #8  
Searching for balance

S/C/G: 247/241.2/150

Height: 5'6 - Female

I can't give you advice from a medical standpoint, but this has been my experiance with HRT. I did a 6 month course of Lupron Depot injections to treat my enodmetriosis and I took HRT to reduce my symptoms of menapouse (The Lupron shuts down your ovaries). Even though I was on HRT I still had all the lovely symptoms of menapouse..........hot flashes, night sweats, irritability, trouble concentrating, vaginal dryness....... For the brief time I took it the "risks" were worth it to me........and would have been more worthwhile had it actually worked.

Shannon
Closed Thread