Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready to Lose - Volume #46

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME !!!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #2  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Doing my pre-hearing drop-in as usual with little to say.

Today is WI and in a few I'll find out if I gained or not. The scale was as low as 246.6 yesterday, so I have hopes. I was also within points yesterday and got in 80 oz of water and then has Special K for breakfast...so we'll see. I've discovered I weigh less after my first cup of coffee... so I'm waiting to WI. I'll update later.

I got no walking in yesterday, but did 10 minutes on the infernal machine! I was quite pleased with myself. I think I may have finally gotten the hang of the thing and started working with it instead of against it...it's a matter of posture and the way you move, not like normal walking at all. I'll see if I can stay at 10 for a while now. I also did very few little stretches and calesthenics - how do you spell that? I watched my son at taekwondo and saw how horribly he did them and decided to prove I could still do them...so I did leg lifts - the hold-your-heels-6"-off-the-floor type. I did this thing where you hold yourself off the floor by your toes and elbows and I did a few crunches. I can't do pushups...not even 1! But I definately need to do them more often...those exercises are tough!

The time has come and I have to do a hearing, so I'm off for now. I'll be back!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #3  

Thumbs up WI RESULTS - (Drumroll please!)

The "official" scale shows: 245 on the DOT!

That requires an obscene carrot dance!!!

Good to know my Thai disaster dinner didn't do any lasting harm.

Ruth: Hope your life gets less hectic. WTG on staying OP though!

Barbara: Shrimp as a snack! Yum! Sounds like these folks are bit high-class for donuts!

Terri: My husband is in a competition at the prison where he works. They all put $10 into the pot and the biggest loser of the week wins a % and at the end of the month or whatever, the overall biggest loser wins the remaining pot. Adds up to quite a bit as there is a large number of participants. DH is just ticked they didn't do this last year when he and I were losing at a higher rate! They actually were doing that at my office last year and never invited me to participate because I was loosing so much weight! They didn't think they'd have a chance.

2Cute: Parking is a good start! My first "exercise" was the stairs at work. The ice machine is on the 2nd floor and I'm on the 1st. The elevator is right next to the stairs and stands open on this floor - tempting me! But I started taking the stairs about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I haven't taken the elevator since! I also stopped parking (illegally) at the capital and now park either in the staff lots (.25 miles away) or down the street (.6 miles away). The farther is often when I move my car at lunch or something, cause who wants to walk 1/2 mile+ first thing in the morning! But that's where it is now...so I have to walk .6 miles again to get back to it to go home! Not only exercise - but I'm saving an absolute fortune in parking tickets!

Garnet: on the loss and the exercise! You've been kick'n butt on the exercise! As to the gardening - my soil is all clay and my yard is nearly all shade. Thus, container gardening is the thing for me, plenty of sun on the patio! Got some seeds I need to start tonight...I keep forgetting them!

Valerie: BBQ sounds REALLY good! Hmmm, have to figure out how to have that soon!

Thin: Where are you??? Hellooooo!

Well, must really run now. Hope you all have a happy, healthy OP day!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #4  
Dancing those pounds away

No time to post.... but have to take a minute to do the obscene carrot dance for Lillion.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #5  

Hello, everyone. I have been reading this forum for several days and think this is where I will feel most at home. I am 51, female and married for 24 years. I have one son who is 23. My DH is 60 and we both need to lose a lot of weight. We are taking xenical.

I am walking with DH 4 days a week in our neighborhood. My DS works at the mall and today, for the first time in a long, long time, I did some mall walking. DS walked with me. Tanner Medical Center has a storefront that tracks your miles for you and even gives incentives for milestones. A water bottle, a t-shirt on up to mall gift certificates. DS and I walked 1.28 miles this morning.

I just wanted to say "hello" and "thanks" for the inspirational posts that I have been reading here.

Karen
Old 03-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #6  

Just jumping in here real quick to say a big for Lilion for being at 245 today. Keep it up and great job on adding in that extra exercise.

to Karen. I'm glad that you've decided to join us. This is a great group of ladies and we're trying to beat this weight issue. We're here to help as best we can and as you have probably seen, discuss a whole lot of stuff. Just jump right in and make yourself at home. Great job on the exercise too.

I have a church meeting tonight so I should do something productive before I go. Who has meetings at 7:30 anyway? Just about my bedtime since I get up at 5:30.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #7  
determined to lose

2cute - Maybe the homeowner's assoc. has some voluntary positions that involve exercise?? ha ha Stay strong, dont let them push you into doing more than you want to...

What on earth are they doing with your sofa? It sounds like lost luggage or something.

Glad your mood has improved!

Terri - thanks for the foods list I printed it out. I take fish oil but never heard of freezing it, why do you do that? To keep it from going rancid??

How is that Biggest Loser workout? I am supposed to be getting a copy from an online friend soon. I was looking at a couple of Jillian's workout DVDs, they had two of them at Walmart. I think it said she either has or will have 5 DVDs out. I decided on Denise Austin Blast Away the Pounds Indoor Walk. It has 3 complete 1 mile programs on it and a stretch segment. At least one of the walks uses weights. I thought I would compare her to WATP. I also have a George Foreman walking tape but I have not opened it yet.

Barbara - fruit veggies and shrimp sounds really great. of course you would have to be at the dentist the day they bring that.

Thanks, I had not heard about not weighing after exercise but I will quit doing it. Never is to my advantage anyway.

Take care

Ruth - when it is words of wisdom that everyone needs to know, does it count as preaching? Well, yah, I guess so since that is what the preacher is supposed to pass on...okay, I'm an idiot.

Hope your day was great.

Lilion - I cannot do regular push ups either but I found a kind that I can do. They are called triangle push-ups and you stand facing a wall and stretch out your arms until your hands touch the wall. you make a triangle out of your thums and index fingers and then (stand away from the wall about a foot or so) you press your chest into the wall and back up away from the wall. They are supposed to be a good isometric exercise. I've had wrist surgery twice and these are easier on my wrist and my back.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!!!!

xenigal - :WELCOME: Let me know how that xenecal works for you all. My son is 23 too. He got married in September to the woman next door to his grandparent's house (where I live too) so now that he is out of the Army i get to see him lots and I just love it. It is so great that your son walks with you!

Did I miss Big Loser tonight??
Old 03-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #8  

Welcome Xenigal / Karen !!!!
So glad you decided to join in. Several of us have kids around 23. I have a daughters 24 and 26 ... I think. LOL My son is about 32. MAN...does that sound OLD !!! I still think of myself as mid 30's sometimes. LOL

Garnet... my neighborhood has TONS of walkers. We are sort of an isolated little community within the city. Only one road in and out, so not much traffic ... and the roads are curvey an whinding. Very walker friendly.
I have been trying to think of a cutezy name to call all of the walkers in the newsletters. LOL Most of them are very friendly... but ONE... well she is a !!!!

I have no idea why it is taking so long on my sofa. I just keep hearing excuses. They promised it again Thursday at 2pm. We will see.

I did good with food today. I even ate some of that NON flavored healthy popcorn. Why bother ??? LOL

Hope everyone had a great day. I did. I am going to bed now. I am actually very tired tonight.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies,

Not much to say this morning. I'm still a little bleary-eyed. Darn allergies. I'm going to another horse clinic tonight with the friend from work. She wants to see this guy's spiel about bits. I always enjoy learning something new. of course, he has something to sell too and as usual, it is the only thing that is the right way to be doing it. This one will provide food so it will probably be BBQ brisket, beans, and chips. The last one I was at, they were very skimpy on the food so shouldn't worry about overindulging.

Garnet - The doc said to freeze the fish oil and take it frozen to avoid the digestive side effects, i.e. burping a fish taste. I like the Biggest Loser workout. It is a good workout and it will take me awhile to be able to do all the cardio segments. However, I figure I need something that kicks my butt or else I'm not working hard enough to make the scale move.

2Cute - Hope your sofa shows up today. That is terrible customer service. I bet you can't hardly wait for time to get the pool ready.

to everyone this morning! I'm off to a hot shower.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:07 AM   #10  
Hang In There

I'm finally back under 300!!!
Maybe this is the incentive in need. I have done really well on the lc this week. I only ate one small olain sugar cookie at snacks yesterday, and I ate it slowly and "savored" every bite of it. I didn't feel deprived. I know myself well enough that if I feel deprived very often, I'll end up in my old ways. So I consider eating only one cookie a BIG NSV!!!

Xinigal Welcome. My DH and I did the Xenical back when it f irst came out.I did loose, but then the insurance quit paying for it, and I couldn't justify the cost. I've heard it's getting ready to be available OTC.

Sorry this post was all about me , but some days are like that!!!

Last edited by ageoldie; 03-09-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #11  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

How is everyone today? Sounds like Barbara is doing great! Good for YOU being under $300! Your post is supposed to be all about you! Especially when you've done so well!

Terri: Hope those allergies clear up. What are you allergic too? I have kind of generally unspecified allergies that I take allegra for, and also use nasacort! Stinks don't it? Have fun at the horse clinic!

2Cute: I'd be just livid about that sofa! Hope it shows soon! Thanks for my carrot chorus-line!

xenigal: Good to have you here! Jump right in and join the fun!

Garnet: You know, I watched a BL marathon one time...and never saw the show again! I liked it, although I didn't think I would. I'm quite sure I'd smack that bossy trainer woman and get thrown in jail though!

Well, managed 10 on the infernal machine again. I finally got out my little hand weights and I'm starting to try to work my arms a bit. My arms are my worst feature and my weakest point...no doubt! I also tried a few stretches...I always think of myself as limber, but I hadn't stretched for a while and I was shocked to see that my 42 year old hips just dont bend like they did when I was 20 (or 30 or 35 for that matter!) I was shocked at how stiff I was. Stretches for me every night now-that's for sure!

Gotta run ladies! It was raining and I was late and I'm parked illegally! Thought I'd be out to move it before now! Later!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #12  
determined to lose

2cute - that sounds really nice. My street is like a racetrack everyone uses it for a cut through We are one block off a major Highway and on the side of our house is what has gone from a gravel road to a paved throughway. Everyone uses it to get to our street to go down to the Highway it seems. The street that runs in front of our house zooms along too to connect with the major road that goes into Houston. The sidewalks are all messed up from ground shifting. so I dont walk outside, just at the gym on the treadmill and thru stores (very dangerous)

Terri - I take fish oil 4 times a day and I never have any burping fish taste or anything like that, I guess I am lucky.

Im so out of shape that WATP can wear me out.

I hope you are feeling better tomorrow!

Barbara - WAY TO GO, welcome to the 200s!! Great feeling, isnt it? I love it down here, I never want to go back to the 300s, ever.

Congrats on the cookie NSV, My mom has a friend who works at an SAS shoe store and she gave mom a bunch of their caramel cremes. Of course mom offered them to me. I ate one and thru the rest in the trash. I thought that was a good NSV too. PS I have not dug one out yet and tonight is trash night and Im not gonna either!

Lilion - I agree with you about the sofa and about jillian. I would definitely need to be on Bob's team on BL or I would have to be asked to leave from getting into it with Jillian.

Im okay, I went with son today and he registered for school and made his first payment (I waited in the car, he is too old for his mom to go in with him) anyway, we had lunch at subway 6" no chips no soda for me although I did get the daily special which was the BMT which is fattier meats than I usually get, ordinarily I get turkey. But when I got son's money for school I did not get me any spending money and I ended up filling up his gas tank which took most of my cash. So we did the cheapy thing at subway.

It was nice to spend time alone with Shawn. I really like my kid.

Well, my parents bought my new bed, right...so today their washing machine broke and they had to get a new one. Fortunately Shawn was around to help grandpa wrestle the machines. Yesterday he was helping him pick grapefruit from our three trees in front of the house. I think he likes living next door. I know I like having me here.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies. It is after 7am and I did NOT just get up.... I have BEEN UP all night !!!

My to do list was sooooo long. And I have company coming this afternoon... and that newsletter to get out.
I had NO IDEA how longgggg it would take to fold, fasten, stamp, label twice (their address and my return address) 100 newsletters !!!! PLUS ... I had to enter 50 NEW email addresses to send those via email. I really plugged the idea to have everyone sending me their email address so I can eventually email ALL the newsletters. BUT... there are a LOT of retired couples in my neighborhood who don't even have a computer. Long story short... I am pooped and just had to sit for a minute. This first one is 100 times harder than the rest should be. Now I have their email addresses in their own little address book... and I have the labels all set up for snail mail. AND I learned a lot from making a LOT of mistakes. LOL

I am only going to reply to those who posted since I last posted. If I even have time for that.

Terri and Lillion .... Yes... my sofa FINALLY got delivered. They fixed the major flaw... but forgot about the other minor one. Grrrr I just said "FORGET IT !!" I wanted my sofa back !!!!

Barbg ... CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!! Oh how I wish I could claim that FAME !!!! That would really be a MAJOR MOTIVATOR !!!! What is Xenical ?? What does it do ???

Garnet ...FISH OIL pills 4 times a day. I tried to take them just once a day and I could NOT stand that taste !!!! YUK !!! I even bought 2 bottles because they were on sale... but not worth it. I know they are good for you.
Way to go with throwing those cookies away

okay... no one else is here now. I better post this before someone else posts before I get this in there.
My food has been great again. I have not done "EXERCISE" ... but I have been soooo active the last three days. I had to burn some calories.
Have a great day.... no, MAKE IT a good day. It is all in our attitudes.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #14  
Hang In There

Just peeking in before I leave for exercise and workk!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #15  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Maybe I should be saying Goodnight to 2Cute! I hope that you read this after you have had sweet dreams for at least a few hours! I don't think I've stayed up all night since law school! How the heck big is your neighborhood? I consider mine my block and the houses on the other streets surrounding my block...NO WAY do I have 150 houses in my neighborhood! (Then again, I grew up with the nearest town five miles away - and IT didn't have 150 houses! - So maybe my Idea of neighborhood is a little skewed! )

Garnet: It's nice to hear you and your son get along so well! I hope mine gets along with me and wants to be around me as much in a few (13) years! Right now, I wonder if I'm going to want him! TWO DAYS after my parent/teacher conference where he was seriously lectured about putting his homework in his folder at school - he forgot his homework. He's latchkey and called me and told me and the fight was on! I told him to go back to school and get it! In the pouring rain! He was not happy with my response - we live about 1/2 mile from the school...but he went! And was in a much more pleasant mood after I got home, too! I felt like a monster sending him out in the rain, but darn it, it's not like he wasn't warned - TWO DAYS ago!

Has anyone heard from Thin lately??? It's been a while since she posted, right? Hope all is well if you are just to busy to post Thin!

I am in a surprisingly good mood today. I did not work on the infernal machine last night and felt kind of bad about that...but I did take a nice 1/2 mile walk at lunch. I did some stretches and crunches and such before I went to bed. Got up this morning, had a nice bowl of cereal. It's a really pretty day, so I parked in my 6/10 of a mile parking spot and hiked to work. Stopped and got a lovely cup of snickerdoodle flavored coffee! The shop had these incredible muffins, one of which was labeled lowfat...but they didn't have the nutrition information and they weren't selling me anything I didn't know the calorie content of...so I passed. I only have one or two hearings today so I'm hopeing to be actually productive! All in all, a nice start to the day.

I hope you all have a day as good as the start of mine! Later!
Closed Thread