Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 04:35 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds #76

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 10-08-2001, 04:52 PM   #2  

Hi everyone! I hope it's been a good Monday so far. It's quite nippy here- went down to the mid 30's last night and there was actually some frost on my car window this morning. I hate to see winter weather approaching- I'm not fond of being cold!!
Joyce, how's dh's toothache doing? Has he been to the dentist about it yet? I laughed at your description of boiled peanuts as being "interesting"!1 You were much more subtle than I! Although I must admit that Janet had a definite point- I probably shouldn't have purchased them in a little small town gas station!
Texaslady, I was so glad to hear from you!!! I sure hope you can get some rest between now and October 27th- you'll be too exhausted to enjoy the wedding you've worked so hard on!! You shoes sound perfect- and comfortable, which is the main thing! We were lucky with rsvp's when dd got married- there were only 2 who did not respond, and one of those we really didn't expect to attend anyhow. We weren't paying anywhere near $80 a head then, but it was still an appreciable amount- I don't think people realize that you have to give a final count by a certain time and you just can't have a bunch of unexpected walk ins! Please wish your mom a belated Happy Birthday for me.
Linda, it sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing retreat. That fireplace sounds wonderful!!!

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off to visit a friend who lives several hours from me. Her birthday was last week, so I'll take her to lunch. We talk frequently on the phone, but we get to see each other all too seldom, so I'm really looking forward to it. It will also be nice just to have a day off to myself in the middle of the week!
Well, I've got to run. Hi to all, and have a good evening.
Carol
Old 10-08-2001, 09:49 PM   #3  

Hi girls! I have had a very busy day but feel like I have accomplished much. I didn't have to work today - Columbus Day is a federal court holiday so we didn't have to go in either! I got some pictures to the videographer (he's doing a montage of childhood pics of dd & future sil for the video); got my Mom to the seamtress to have her gown altered, dropped by SAS and got a new pair of loafers; found a movie soundtrack of the "old" Dr. Dolittle movie on Amazon.com - the kids want the "Talk to the Animals" song for one portion of the video montage; spoke with the limo people & booked limo for the bachelor party this week-end and ordered some stuff from the Penny's catalog! Plus I met four of the ladies I used to work with for dinner. We had such a good time - I hadn't seen them since I left my last job. We caught up on all the gossip. Wonderful!!! I really miss seeing them everyday.

Linda - glad your visit went so well with your sister. Don't I remember your telling us that things aren't always so good between the two of you? or maybe that was another sister? Anyway, sounds like a wonderful sharing time.

Carol - Enjoy your time with your friend. We get so busy with our lives that we don't always make time for visiting with those we care about. Tonight proved that for me. We have decided to get together every couple months after work for dinner. I'm glad. How are you feeling? Hope the aches & pains are getting a bit more manageable.

Joyce - Thanks for the welcome back. Did you guys stay in New Orleans the whole time you were on vacation or did you venture forth elsewhere? You may have said, but I had so much to catch up on I probably missed it.

Gotta go. That wine I had with dinner is making me sleepy & I think I will call it an early night. Everyone have a good Tuesday - it will be back to work for me - but hey, now it will be a short week!
Old 10-08-2001, 11:27 PM   #4  

Texaslady, so good to hear from you again so soon! I'm glad that you had such a nice dinnertime with your friends, and that you are planning to get together regularly. Old friends are very dear. Gee, it sounds as though today were one of your "busy-est" You really managed to accomplish a lot, good for you! Oh, and the sweet sister with whom I went to the retreat this past weekend was the one I am very close to. It is my older sister who is, well, not really "of this planet," and doesn't get along with very many people in the world, least of all, me! That was thoughtful of you to have asked the question.

Tomorrow dh and I are taking the "55 Alive" classroom driving class...I finally reached the age where I am eligible for it. After two days of four hours' worth of classtime (at the local community center here in town) we each get a certificate to mail to our insurance company which will lower our rates somewhat. Hooray! Every dollar saved counts!
Old 10-09-2001, 11:53 AM   #5  
50+ pound loser

Hey ladies, remember me?

I have been around, just not posting. So I am back!

Okay, let me just tell you that I have not been having the best two months of my weight loss journey. Up and down, down and up went my weight. I am at the lowest I have been for a long time, but I still am not at that place I used to be. Where weight loss was what I was working on all the time, I need that back. So I am hoping that I can count on you guys to give me a gentle kick in that direction. And in turn, if you ever need it from me, I will be here.

I have so far lost over 50 pounds and have about that to go. I am giving myself a Christmas challenge and hope to be 20 pounds lighter by then. If I can just find my groove...

Well ladies, I just wanted to say Hi and I will see you all later.

Xstichingal
Old 10-09-2001, 12:15 PM   #6  
Inchworm

Welcome back xstich! Congrats on those 50 #s!!
I wish I could say the same for myself.

I AM back OP! and the water gain is gone! WHEW!! HATE THAT!!

Yesterday was a busy/fun day, with 2 ceramic/glass classes. creating..creating...just having fun!!
I was thrilled when I got to the P.O. to mail a stack of packages, to see that there were only 2 cars inthe parking lot....until I quickly realized that it was a holiday! It was closed!
so that is at the top of my list today...guess I'll wait til I take dgd to the doc for her sports physical, then she can help carry the things.. I have bday boxes to mail to dgd and d-i-l.
and some of my little flags to special friends.

My brother in law has asked me to come over this afternoon to 'help' him with some computer stuff. I think he is giving me more credit than I am due, but we will see. Wish me knowledge!!
s-i-l is fixing diner for dh and myself in return..she is a WWer too, so I am safe!

Linda, looking forward to seeing you on Thursday! I miss you!

Happy Tuesday to all!
Old 10-10-2001, 02:05 AM   #7  

Welcome back, xstitchingal! Good to hear from you again. Congrats on that 50# loss -- good for you! You've returned to the right place for encouragement and support; keep posting!

I roasted a large turkey a couple of weeks ago for a family dinner we had, and from the leftovers I have several Ziploc bagsful of cut-up turkey meat in 1-cup measurements in the freezer. I have found some really yummy recipes on the 'net which use cooked turkey--I just love being able to get recipes online.

I feel as though I haven't seen JOYce in a month -- I think I'll make a nametag for myself to wear so when I go pick her up for Meals on Wheels on Thursday, she won't think she is getting into the car of a total stranger....

Carol, how is your arthritis? Hope you are better.
Old 10-11-2001, 09:27 AM   #8  
50+ pound loser

Thanks for the welcome ladies. It sure is nice to be back and I sure can use all the support I can get.

I had weigh in yesterday and I gained 2.4! I knew that it was going to be awful, since it is TOM and I was camping for three days and I ate like I was a crazy woman. Chips are my weakness and I bought them for my dh and his buddy. Yeah, right. They ate none, I ate them ALL!! So now I am just trying to undo the damage that I have done in the last month and a half. Good news though, I will not let this detour me and I will reach my goal, it just may take me a while.

Well I hope you all had a great day, thanks for being a sounding board for me and I will talk to you all later.

xstitch
Old 10-11-2001, 06:19 PM   #9  

Hi ladies! I hope everyone had a good day. It's beautiful here- almost an Indian Summer day after our cold stuff a few days ago.
I enjoyed my day off yesterday celebrating my friend's birthday. She lives near the ocean, so we went down to the beach, and out to a late lunch, and just got a chance to relax and catch up- and not listen to the national news for a few hours!!.
Texaslady, it sounds like you had a great time with your "old" work friends! It was also nice that you got a chance to get out with them just to relax and enjoy and get away from the myriad of wedding chores and details that surround you right now. You won't know what to do with yourself after October 27th!!
Linda, that 55 alive class sounds like a good idea- I don't think we have anything like that in this area. I too love leftover turkey- got any especially good low point recipes to share?
Rebecca, welcome back! It's so good to hear from you again! Don't sweat the 2.4 pound loss- you'll get there! The chip type things are my downfall too- I can pass up a cake or a candy bar any day of the week, but that salty stuff is a real tough one for me. Hang in there!
Joyce, I know you were happy to wave goodbye to the water weight gain! Did you get all your errands done?
Jan, any word on dh's tests? I know you must be wishing I'd just forget about that!
Janet, how are things going in your part of the world? How's your friend coming along? I feel for her with the holidays coming up- it will be such a difficult time for her this year! I'll try to give you a call one of these nights soon.
Saara, Saara, where on earth are you, girl???
Ladies, I've got to run. Hi to everyone I missed, and have a good weekend, y'all!
Carol
Old 10-11-2001, 07:24 PM   #10  

Hi girls!

Welcome back, Rebecca! I am so glad that you have returned to the board! You are to be warmly congratulated for the 50# lost!! That's a LOT of weight gone forever! Just keep on keeping on and I know you will make it to goal.

Carol - Lunch at the beach this time of year sounds wonderful to me! Not too many crowds but still nice enough weather to enjoy. Always good to get a little R&R once in a while. I hadn't thought about it, but my dinner out the other night WAS a great respite from wedding errands! Of course, we talked about it, but I didn't have TO DO anything! Not like Tuesday night when we spent 2-1/2 hours at the bridal salon for dd's final fitting. Too many brides and only one seamtress! The bustle is a little complicated and it took dd's bridesmaids a while to figure out how to do it. Once they finally did manage to do it right, we discovered the dress still hung too far on the floor in the back and seamtress assured us she will put in another hook to bring it further up so dd can dance backwards! I hope so - there's no more fittings! Just final pickup of gown just before wedding.

I find myself in a real wedding funk! I can't get myself together to finish the final tasks! I still need to make the pew bows and finish wrapping all the gifts (most are done, however). Guess I am just about ready for all this to be over with - although I know the let-down after the wedding is bound to be even bigger.

Photographer is having some kind of snafu with the engagement picture order. He has had to change artists for the negative touch-ups dd wanted. So he called today and said he just wouldn't charge us for any of the prints we ordered (and we ordered a lot!) and we should have them before the wedding. A lot of those are meant to be wedding gifts for the bridal party - I sure hope he makes it. Can't wrap those gifts until we get the pics.

DD & fiance went to get their wedding rings sized & engraved tonight. The Bachelor Party is Saturday, and then they get their marriage license next week. Guess this thing is really gonna happen, afterall! Gotta go. ZHi to everyone else - Joyce, Linda, Jan, Janet, Saara....... Will check in again later.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:07 PM   #11  
Inchworm

Talking HOOORAY!!

I lost the 3.5 pounds of water plus 1.5 pounds!!!

texaslady I was thinking that I have a busy day ahead of me, but nothing compared to the preparations that you are involved in! I just have a litle ole Chili cook-off to prepare for...I'm painting flower pots for candle holders, and wooden spoons for prizes...(SIMPLE but symbolic)
I have to meet the guy that is hanging up our twinkle lights later today, we are not in total agreement as to where they should go, I'll probably concede, but have to go make my suggestions.

I must get on with all this! have a great day and weekend!
Old 10-14-2001, 01:40 AM   #12  
Inchworm

Just a quick check in, where is everybody?!?!!
The chili cook-off was a huge success again! People really enjoyed the food competitions, the games and line dancing..
Have to let you know that Miss Linda was 1st place winner of the Dessert category!! I must confess that I had to sample it..DEEElicious!!! It was a peanut butter cup chocolate brownie Trifle!! (sorry Linda, I probably turned that name inside out!) She said she wasn't tasting it, but leaving it to her dh to have some and reprt to her how it was.....well! the bowl was licked clean!! and she did not have any! good girl! I started with her trifle and then had salads to round out my meal!
We had lots of help setting up and helping through out the day, and the weather was perfect!
dgs came to the festivities and is staying over so we can go to the big Orange County Swap meet tomorrow, it is rare for me to miss church, but is special for him to want to take me...so DUH! I'm going of course!!! He is so sweet, he is my Beanie baby buddy, always on the look out for a bargain, and he is proud of a place that he has found down thre that has rare, hard to find beanies... so we will have to find SOMEthing!
Bed is calling me..
good night!
Old 10-15-2001, 03:42 PM   #13  

Hi all, sorry to be so long awol!

Rebecca, welcome back! It's so good to hear from you again. And kudos to you for your 50# loss; that is just terrific. It sounds like you are well on the way to goal, and very determined. You will make it, I just know!!

Carol, sounds like you and your friend had a great time! How long have y'all known each other? Re: dh's tests, still no word; we just have to call them, I know, but dh still resists. Guess I'll have to call out the heavy artillery and force the issue!

Texaslady, whew, just thinking about all that activity makes my head swim! But it sounds like you have things well under control. The shoes sound lovely, and I agree, much better to buy something you can wear again. The honeymoon trip sounds wonderful; will you be taking care of grand-dog for them while they're gone?

JOYce, that chili cookoff sounds like so much fun; and what a great decision, balancing the trifle out with salads! Way to go on your 5 pound loss!! Hope you and your dgs found some good buys at the swap meet?

Linda, I'm so glad you and your sister enjoyed your retreat so much. I always treasure the time I spend with my sisters, and just wish we could be together more often. Congrats on winning first at the cookoff, too! I'm in awe of you, that you didn't even taste the trifle; I know I couldn't do that, not with chocolate and peanuts involved.

Janet, are you enjoying this same lovely, cool weather that Texaslady and I have? The fronts have brought through a few storms, but luckily no big damage here. But did I hear something about a tornado over your way?

Saara, where are you? We miss you!

Dad, dh and I spent the weekend at the beach in Port Aransas/Corpus Christi, which was lots of fun but not so good for staying strictly OP. I'm still maintaining my ww goal, but my personal goal is still the same ten pounds away. And I was so tired this morning that I skipped my walk, which I seldom do. I have GOT to get motivated again! Dad's birthday party (85th!) is just under 6 weeks away, and I bought (last summer) and hope to wear this long black dress (with a few colors that just match a shell necklace my sister made.) I thought I'd be able to wear it by now, but I really have to lose a few more pounds for it to look right. Hmm. Maybe I should hang it on the kitchen doorway? Maybe I should go to meetings every week instead of every month. Any ideas?

Hope everyone had a great Monday!
Regards,
Jan
Old 10-16-2001, 11:15 AM   #14  
Inchworm

Wow Jan! Sounds like your dad's bday will be quite a gala!
I have no doubt that you can get into that long black dress in time! Sounds lovely with your shell necklace! You can do it!
Yes, it was fun shopping for beanies with dgs. He is usually an "Alex P. Keaton" when it comes to money, but he would spend it all on a special beanie. He caught that from me, so I had to do some fast talking and show restraint on my own. Also, I about walked my legs off, so benefited from that, I am sure!

texaslady! 10 days and counting!?!?! I'm sure that you are one busy lady! Enjoy every minute of these preparations! I'm sure that it will al be over much too soon.

I must go and get on with this day.
Have a GOOD day, Keep your faith in the midst of all the discouraging news. I'm finding myself watching less and less t.v.
It can really get you down, if you let it!
Old 10-16-2001, 05:58 PM   #15  

Hi everyone. I hope you all have had the beautiful weather we had today! Tomorrow is supposed to get windy and rather cold, but after all, it is October! The leaves are turning now- beautiful! That's one thing I'll miss when I move to Florida. Autumn is my favorite time of year- except for the ragweed- ACHOO!!!
Texaslady, all your final preparations sound so exciting! It brings back such memories- mostly good! I perfectly understand the "wedding funk" concept- been there, done that! I hope things can be worked out satisfactorily with the engagement pictures. Have dd and dsil-to-be gotten to the point where you fear they will kill each other yet?
Joyce, the chilli cookout sounds like it was a lot of fun- although I am not a fan of the stuff myself- it doesn't like me. How was the swap meet with dgs? Did you find any treasures or rare beanies you couldn't live without? I too find the recent events in our country and the tv coverage getting me down- it's so hard to avoid it. I find it really praying on my mind, and adding to some other personal stresses going on in my life lately. Also, as I think I'd mentioned, we are in the direct flight path for Andrews AFB, and there has not been a night go by that I haven't been awakened at least once at odd hours by the sound of military aircraft overhead. It's a bit unsettling. I try to watch the tv channels that don't give any news, no matter what's happening, now!
Jan, knowing you as I do, I'm betting that the black dress will fit perfectly for your dad's 85th birthday celebration in 6 weeks. What date is his birthday? I'm glad you had such an enjoyable weekend!
Saara, where ARE you????
Linda, congrats on winning the dessert first place, and in having the "intestinal fortitude" to avoid eating your own delicious goodies!!!
I'd better run for now. Hi Janet, Rebecca, Beth and anyone else I missed. Have a good op Wednesday, everyone!
Carol
Closed Thread