General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Swimsuits

I haven't purchased a swimsuit in years, but it looks like I'll need to be armed adn dangerous w/one for a trip this summer...I am at such a loss! This isn't to say I haven't tried some on, but none have passed the grade for me to pay for and possibly wear again.

I would figure myself to be a pear shape, since my thighs and butt are the biggest part of me...most of the one pieces I try on tend to age me greatly..but with two pieces, I'm not sure...It's all about the booty I guess. Someone recommended the boy cut shorts, but don't those go right across the widest part of my thigh, cutting it in half and drawing attention to it? I wear sarongs, but not in the water, adn I will not wear shorts over my swimsuit in the water....does anyone know of any sites or anything that may give me more ideas of what to wear?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Lane bryant has some cute 2 pieces on their website and their catalogues. It's a tankini top and a skirt bottom. They're very cute--I'm 24 and i'd wear em if I could. (I'm 6 feet and few bathing suits fit me
Old 03-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #3  

can you go to a store with a personal shopper?? I'm in the UK and most of our large stores have a free, no obligation personal shopper.

If not, buy lots of magazines or sign up for catologues. Get lots of ideas. I agree with the boy leg I wore one at size 26, not pretty!!!

I'd try standing in front of the mirror and really assess what your best features are, and try and find a swimsuit that makes the most of your assets. For me its my bust and shoulders, so I would look for one that is a dark colour at the bottom and really bright, possibly with embroidery around the bust, and defintely a halter neck.

I tend to do a lot of functional swimming so live in Speedos at present. I can't wait to buy a pretty swimsuit!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If the problem areas are the thighs and butt, I'd definately recommend a skirted bottom too. I bought a mix and match top and bottom set, with a skirted bottom. But as I dropped more pounds and started targeting those areas more, I went back and bought just the bikini bottom to replace the skirt. The skirt worked wonders where I needed it.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #5  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Target has some super cute tankini's too, check 'em out if you get the chance!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #6  
resident lactivist

A couple of thoughts on the leg issue. Usually women with large thighs are told to wear boy shorts or skirted bottoms, but I'm not fond of the look of either. (Actually, I'm insulted by the theory that I should wear a freaking dress to go swimming in, when these walking sticks show every bone they've got!) It sounds scary, but a high-cut bottom (sometimes called French-cut) will elongate your legs nicely. Try one on and see if I'm not right. Tankinis are becoming more & more common, which is great for those of us who are two different sizes top & bottom.

For myself, if I get the money I'm planning on ordering a tankini from Decent Exposures. I just bought an unbra from them, and it is fabulously comfortable. Their suits aren't cheap--comparable to what you'd buy in a department store--but for a top with a bra in my size built into it, I am willing to spend $70+!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I bought my new bathing suit last year at Fashion Bug (I know some of their clothes are not the best quality, but the suit has held up through plenty of visits to my friends' pool!). It is a tankini set, but there's no gap between the top and bottom, so no tummy roll hangs out at all. The bottom is a regular brief bottom--or me, the shorts style really just accentuates how much my gut sticks out past the tops of my thighs, and I HATE swimming with the skirted suits because the little skirt FLOATS in the water and makes a circle around me--as IF I needed to draw more attention to myself
Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #8  

I don't like the skirted suits either. Maybe its a US thing, but the ones I have seen here in the UK are made for elderly people, and have terrible prints on them (green palm trees that sort of thing)

I am in danger of looking like a dancing hippo in a skirted suit. I am a water baby, so my thighs are only visible for a short period of time!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #9  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I'm not sure how to help. I've got big thighs, but I'm a lifeguard and I teach swimming lessons so I had to sort of get over any embarassment. Some of the other guards were very similar to me in size so I wasn't bothered at all last summer. I have to wear plain one piece Speedo-style suits for work and they aren't the most flattering on most girls but they cover you up, suck things in, and are pretty comfortable.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #10  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I dread putting on a swimsuit!! I bought a new solid black one piece last year at Walmart near the end of the season. I guess I will wear it this year. Ive not lost enough to buy a new one yet.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Ok, I have an oppinion on swimsuits and that is they should fit. Hold in what needs to stay put, and help out what need help, That said I spend a lot of time in a suit over the summer and although I usually get one new one I can rotate out the oldest every 3 years.
That said, these suits are expencive ( I have gotten them for less at eddie Bauer) but the selection is great, you can't lose on the size selection including large cups ans plus sizes, return is easy and you can try them on in the privacy of your own home
www.swimslim.com
Old 03-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #12  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

I actually agree about the high cut thing. It doesn't sound like it would work but it can. I am all belly, hips, and thighs but also have large breasts. The best suit I ever had was high cut thigh, black at the bottom with a neon bright floral print in a v-shape from the top down. It drew attention up to the chest and away from the heavy bottom. More than likely a Wal-mart or Target purchase.

Good luck!

-Lala
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Thank you to all who have taken the time to help me out w/ the swimsuit thing. I decided not to go too expensive, since this is the only time I'll be wearing it. I'm not overly fond of the skirt in the water thing because, like someone said, it floats around, which would be annoying. I do tend to associate those w/ older women, even though I'm sure that there are better styles out there.

I've decided to most likely go with a tankini or a bikini w/ brief bottoms. I'm not sure about the cut because I'll have to try it on. Looking at myself in underwear I look better in more of a french brief rather than a boy short.

By many people's standards I am not that large. I will be swimming with two women who are about a size 4...for real, naturally. THey are just tiny things. They won't care about how I look as much as I do, but I still want to be comfortable.

With everyone's replies, I agree, I thankyou, and I laughed a lot.
When I was watching the Olympics, the speed skaters had huge thighs to propel them through the water with. Maybe I have muscular thighs as well as fat thighs?

The swimsuit thing goes hand in hand that I would wear a pair of shorts. It's somewhat psychological, that I can wear shorts and look like part of society. I just have to pick out the right kind...anything shorter than my boy short underwear is not an option...

But thanks again w/ everyone's help. I'll let you know what I pick.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #14  
Addicted to potato salad!

The BEST advice I can give to all of us with bathing suit woes is that when that time comes to hurl yourselves into public in your swimsuit, be SURE to only notice the people that are bigger or as big as you are. Totally ignore the teeny boppers that look great and if you insist on noticing them , at least take note of how FEW there are that look fabulous in a swimsuit.

I'm with Kykaree: I have a big butt, so I look just like a dancing hippo with a skirted suit.

I also agree that you need to evaluate the parts that are largest and keep that part of the suit dark and draw attention to the good parts with fun, bright patterns and colors. ALSO, don't forget the 'steel belted, radial' front part over the bra. Nobody wants to know how cold the water is THAT way and along the tummy area, if you don't have a helper panel, stretch marks and lumps and rolls are very visible in daylight through the bathing suit.

I like Land's End .com for swimsuit guides. WAY too expensive for me...especially since it's the article of clothing I want to wear the least...but they have an excellent guide as to what works with who's body shape best.

Good luck!!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Speedo. Trust me. Their two piece training suits look great on every body shape. They also have good bra support with a little padding for cold pools...

I also ALWAYS buy a pair of men's trunks that match the pattern in the top. They dry better than bikini bottoms (men have it made!) so you don't have to worry about chafing, they hide the need to shave your bikini area, and you can bend any way you need to to chase kids, switch out a boat prop, etc. They are also SOOO comfortable! My current suit is a dark red Hawaiian floral with navy piping and I have a navy pair of Nike trunks to match! Very sporty!

Skip the ruffles and shorts. The ruffles broadcast that they are hiding something- why the **** else would you wear them?!? I have awful Fanstasia flashbacks everytime I see them. Boy shorts are really awful unless you are round AND firm. I don't personally know anyone who looks good in them.
Closed Thread