Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #1  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

Default Addict?

Hey all,

I am a little unnerved about how hard I am on myself. Even when I am being steller and am eating right and exercising lots, I critique myself for what MORE I could be doing. Does that make any sense? Like, I decided to rest my body from weight lifting for a week because I felt like it is what I need. So, I haven't done it since Wednesday and am already awfulizing weigh in next Wednesday, and beating myself up.

It's a no win. I do something FOR myself and then allow it to work AGAINST myself. I feel like an addict...that somehow this self depracating behavior is something I can't let go of. Does anyone relate?

Anyway, thanks for reading my babble...

Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #2  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I can certainly relate to you. I am VERY hard on myself and I'm sure my dietitian friend thinks I'm my own worst enemy. Mind you, she can't say anything because she is just as bad. She lost quite a bit of weight as well, and has SO many similarities to me.

As far as resting from exercise goes, don't worry about that one. It is better for your health to have that break if you feel it is needed. I had to do this just the other week because my system let me know it had reached its limit. I couldn't function one day and worked out I had been overexercising. I rested for a few days and felt SO much better than before. I actually look forward to exercising now, whereas it had started to become a 'chore'. I lost weight the week I backed off from exercising, but some of it has come back on, which tells me it was probably just water loss or some such thing. But at least I didn't gain, which is what I was expecting. (just like you) I am now doing about half the exercise I had been doing, which seems to be just fine. I do 25 mins on the treadmill in the morning and 25 mins on the exercise bike in the afternoon, with alternating days doing 15 mins of strength training. I am hoping to up the strength training, but have only just started it and don't want to do the same thing I did with the other workouts.

Once again, please don't beat yourself up... and I'll try to follow my own advice at the same time... and just be really pleased with where you are at the moment and how far you've come. 67lbs is an AMAZING amount to lose, so you should just be patting yourself on the back, not kicking yourself in the pants. I have decided that I'm going to take some time just appreciating where I am now. I'm not panicking about food at the moment and am happy with my exercise, so I am kinda putting myself in 'maintenance' mode and I'm hoping to enjoy life for a while, without stressing. That is the plan anyway. Whether I manage it or not is another issue altogether.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #3  
Melting Butter

It seems like this happens when you're more than halfway to your goal. You're so so close and all you want is to hurry up and get there. I completely understand how you feel.
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #4  

I'm the same way.

Once this ball really started to roll I am on a non-stop mission to get to where I need to go.

I don't think I would call it an addiction. I would call it perfectionism. You started a job and you won't be satisfied until you finish it the right way. The problem with this thought process is that it might not really be the correct way-- it is instead what we think we must do.

I think this area of our personality has to remain under close watch becasue just as passionate as you can be over food, you can be over losing weight. It has the potential to turn into a dangerous way of handling our bodies.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #5  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

Thanks for everyone's advice and support on this one. I really appreciate it...

Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote