General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Red face Doctor recommended face lift!

Went to the dermatologist yesterday, hoping for recomendations on laser peels or something to get off the sun spots and smooth out my skin - I'm 38 and since my weight loss am more wrinkled.

She referred me to another doctor, another office (so not for her own office's profit, which made me feel even worse!) and said that I probably won't be happy unless I get a face lift! So that's at least $7,000 or so, right??

She pointed out everything - my eyebrows are apparently lower than they should be (who knew?) and I need something done with my neck apparently, too! Crudola!!

I have been so depressed since that visit - I almost don't want my horrid face to be seen in public! The odds of getting my husband to agree to something like a facelift are slim to none!

Has anyone had a face lift after weight loss and was it worth it?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've not had one but I have to throw in a question- these guys want to make money. What do you feel you want? If you went in thinking face peel, isn't a total face lift a little extreme? (Please keep in mind, I don't know what I'm talking about and it is your face)

Sarah
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

You should check out this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #4  

It is fine to take other people's opinions into consideration but what do YOU think? I mean, you didn't have a problem with your eyebrows until she pointed that out to you, did you? And don't assume she doesn't have a vested interest in referring you elsewhere. Plenty of doctors, espscially those specializing in things like plastic surgery have an, "I'll scratch your back it you scratch mine." agreement.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem in the world with plastic surgery. Both my mother (eyes, chin) and my sister (breast reduction, lift) have had it. I myself am considering a tummy tuck and breast lift. BUT...if you were thinking along the lines of a chemical peel (my mother has these done regularly and they make a HUGE difference, she's 60) why not try that first? The dermatologist may not think you will be happy without a facelift - but you MIGHT be. My suggestion is to ALWAYS try the least invasive, least expensive options FIRST. Another thing to consider (and I've seen this first hand) is that unless you go into plastic surgery self assured and confident in yourself (other than wanting to improve something that really bothers you) there is no good place to stop. There is always something else that needs to be fixed. Make sure you know your limits if you do opt for surgery.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #5  
Feeling the burn

Bah! Your eyebrows are lower than they should be. Compared to?? Did they ever bother you before?

I'm not for or against cosmetic surgery but take what that doctor said with a big bag o' salt! Some doctors have $$ for eyes. Not saying that's the case with that doctor but if you never thought you needed a facelift before talking to this person, then you shouldn't let it affect you. Chances are, cosmetic surgeons could point out a long list of little things that are slightly "off" on everyone's faces that could use a little "fixing" Some of the most beautiful people out there don't have perfect faces. It's all about their personality, the way they carry themselves and features that make them unique.

Look at the Dirty Dancing girl, what's her name...Jennifer something...anyway, I saw her on tv a couple of years ago and she was talking about how she couldn't get work after her nose job because she didn't look like herself anymore (and she really didn't...she looked like someone else). How sad is that? Here she was, coming off a really popular movie at the beginning of her career...she thinks WoohoO! I have money to fix my big nose...and bam! career went bye bye because she no longer looked like herself.

Anywho...just saying. There are lots of techniques out there to fill in wrinkles that don't require going under the knife. You should keep looking and not let someone else's opinion dictate how you feel about yourself.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #6  
210 / 193 / 140

Forgive my ignorance, but how would a face lift help with sunspots? I question the motives of any physician who tries to push you into an expensive elective procedure you didn't ask for. For all you know, she's getting kickbacks from the facelift guy. I hope you'll find another dermatologist (one who won't have you stressing out over imaginary flaws) so you can get that face peel you were after.
Closed Thread