Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/166/139

Height: 5'6"

Default A question....

Ok, I know that you can safely expect possibly 1lb a week weight loss. Here's where I am though. I started Jan 5 at 212 lb and am now to 188lb. My original hope (even though it may sound unrealistic) was to be at 160lb. by the end of April. (Hubby and I are going to our first Nascar race and I really wanted to look a lot slimmer) Thats another 28lb to loose in 8 wks.I don't see that I'll make my goal. I know I have made good progress so far but for the past 2 weeks it seems as if I have to fight for every 1/2lb I loose. Is my goal too unrealistic? I know I need to have patience and not be in a rush but I can't seem to help it.
Also, those that may have started around my size and have gotten to their goal, how long did it take you?
Thanks for any answers to my silliness Everyone here has always been so helpful and encouraging!
lilolme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Well, a healthy weight loss is 2 pounds a week, which is 16 pounds in 8 weeks...what plan are you following, and what kind of exercise program are you following? I think it's a bit much to lose nearly 30 pounds in 2 months, but it can be done...
I was only able to do that because I have so much MORE to lose...
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #3  

Sorry, forgot to list what I've been doing .I try to keep my calories below 1400 and I exercise at least 3-4 a week for 1hour.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You've lost 24 pounds since the new year, congratulations!! Celebrate your success, and continue on, but don't get upset if you don't meet that goal. You'll still be going to NASCAR healthier and slimmer than when you started! That's the important part, I think.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #5  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I'm going to agree with wyllenn here. I firstly want to congratulate you on your great job so far. It is NOT easy to lose 24lbs. Please make sure that you don't lose track of that achievement. (I am trying to follow this advice myself, as I try to lose the last few pounds)

As wyllenn said, you will certainly be goingto the NASCAR a lot healthier and slimmer, which will be an incredible bonus. I travelled to the US with my hubby last year and I had already lost a lot of weight, but was nowhere near my goal weight. I was simply thrilled to be so much smaller that I could do SO many more things than I could have done before. I had a wonderful time.

I know you will keep working on this, and will lose more before you go to the NASCAR, but don't in any way feel bad if you don't reach your goal before then, as you will only deserve praise, not grumbles. And it will give you something to look forward to after you get back.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Congratulations on your weight loss! I know it is hard to be patient and I think we can ALL relate in wishing the weight could all be gone NOW this minute. Just keep up the good work... and yes you ARE going to Nascar a lot slimmer!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #7  
..5, 6, 7, 8!

Height: 5'9

Ahh yes, like everyone's said.. congrats on the weightloss.. Now, think of this, you are much slimmer than when you first started and that's motivational enough to look better/healthier come April.

I know one thing I keep kicking myself in the butt for is not starting sooner cause I would've been slimmer than I am now.
Shalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #8  

Listen, you are doing great so far just keep up the good work. Your question was whether or not your goal was a realistic one. Here's my take on having goal dates. It is just flat out impossible to know what our bodies are going to do from week to week. As long as your are eating well and exercising your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - whether the scale says you've lost any weight or not. When we plan to lose a certain number of pounds in a certain number or weeks we risk being disappointed, discouraged, and annoyed.

So, yes I think your goal is realistic if you take being 160 pounds by the end of April out of the equation. Instead, stick with working towards being a lot slimmer by the end of April when you go to Nascar. There is nothing wrong with setting aggressive goals and working hard to reach them but, in my opinion, goals should always be 100% within your control. Like it or not, we rarely have 100% control over what the scale will read on a specific date-even if we are doing all that we should to make it happen.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Lucky. I don't put timetables on my weightloss goals, but set goals I can control, such as eating and exercise goals.

Never forget, the scale is a cruel mistress -- sometimes she cooperates and sometimes she does not.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #10  
Feeling the burn

You've been doing great so far! Congrats on the weight loss!

I am willing to bet that if you keep doing what you are doing, you will feel and look great by the end of April, no matter what the scale says And you will be that much closer to your final goal by then

I am nowhere near goal but getting a bit closer every week, and just that in itself makes me feel really good The increased energy, knowing we are doing something positive for ourselves, finding new muscle definition when we look in the mirror etc. It's all good!

Good luck!
Fit_Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky

So, yes I think your goal is realistic if you take being 160 pounds by the end of April out of the equation. Instead, stick with working towards being a lot slimmer by the end of April when you go to Nascar. There is nothing wrong with setting aggressive goals and working hard to reach them but, in my opinion, goals should always be 100% within your control.
Agreed.

Don't stress yourself out trying to achieve that magic number by a certain date. You're doing great so far. Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off and even if you only lose another 10 pounds by then, think of it this way - it's better than gaining 10 pounds.

We're in this for life. You didn't gain all that weight in a month and it's not going to fall off in a month, either. Gradual weight loss is best. If you drop your calories too low in an attempt to take the weight off faster, you'll end up losing muscle as well.

Let your body do what it needs to do. Keep nourishing it with your good foods, don't drop your calories too low, and it will reward you. It doesn't matter how long it takes. So don't put unnecessary stress on your body and yourself by worrying about being a certain weight by a certain time. Whatever you weigh by the time you go to Nascar is... well... what you'll weigh
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
You've lost 24 pounds since the new year, congratulations!! Celebrate your success, and continue on, but don't get upset if you don't meet that goal. You'll still be going to NASCAR healthier and slimmer than when you started! That's the important part, I think.
Ditto what wyllenn said, be proud of your success... I'm sure by the time the NASCAR rolls around you will have lost some more weight anyways... Do this for a lifestyle not for just ONE occasion or you may go back to old habits once the occasion is over... Good Luck and on your weightloss...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #13  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

I know exactly how you feel, too. I have to be a bridesmaid (ick!) in my brother's wedding in July, and I want to reach my ultimate goal by then, but it seems a bit far fetched. And because i am so painfully aware of how much further I have to go, I lose sight of the accomplishments that I've already made!

It's important to remember that if we didn't make the decision to start when we did, we'd be going to these important events just as heavy (or probably even heavier) as we were when we started. No matter what, you're 24 pounds closer to where you want to be, and that's no small feat! Congratulations!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #14  

Thanks so much for the all the feedback. Just like I said, you all are awesome!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #15  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Wow! Congrats on your weightloss! I'm actually in your weightloss ball park since I'm 5'2, started out with 206 pounds, and am now 191. I'm really slow on the weightloss bit, but I know what I need to be doing which is exercising more than I have been. But I was so thrilled the other day to get into a size 16 pants when I have always been 18! So every little bit is always a great motivator! Have fun at Nascar!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote