Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/154/135

Default Tortilla Chips - baked?

I'm in Phase 2. I want to make black bean salsa that I used to eat with Tostitos. Whether baked or not.

Black bean salsa is fine I think since it is:

tomatoes
onions
cilantro
black beans
COrn - okay, guess that isn't the best but it is mixed in you know
garlic

Can I eat baked tostitos?? I need a good snack for a scrapbooking group! Thanks for any ideas!!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #2  

Tostitos are CORN chips so you need to avoid them. You can take whole wheat pita bread and toast it. Sometimes I've put some olive oil on them and rosemary or garlic and then baked them. I've tried doing it with whole wheat tortillas but they don't get crunchy like the pitas do.

I would also leave the corn out of your salsa.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Nope, no baked tostitos, unfortunately. They have corn (and other scary things) that aren't okay. You can have a little corn, once a month, but I'd try your best to avoid it...since you're making the salsa, why not leave it out! I'd substitute diced jicama...it won't add much flavor, but it'll add crunch and be very yummy! Jicama might be hard to find in your area...so ask around. Otherwise, just up the other ingredients to make up for the lost corn.

Instead of the baked tostitos, you can make your own tortilla chips. Use WW tortillas (or whole spelt, kamut, etc.). Use a pizza cutter (or a knife) and cut them into triangles. For small ones, you'll make six triangles. Then spray them with Pam or brush with olive or canola oil, and sprinkle with salt and mexican seasonings. Bake in a 425 oven and watch carefully so they don't burn.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of these, but I really enjoy pita bread cooked like that...so I stick with those. I served guacamole with pita triangles at a recent ladies night out and it was a huge hit...didn't have any left at the end! Here's what I did:

Cut WW pitas into triangles using a pizza cutter--you get 6 triangles. If you want, you can separate them into two so you get 12, but I like them a little soft in the middle, so I don't. Brush them with canola oil and sprinkle with appropriate spices (I used a little cumin and a little chili powder with granulated garlic and Lawry's seasoning salt). Bake at 425 until golden. Another thing that's delicious is do the same, but use olive oil and minced garlic. It's amazing!

Enjoy your night!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #4  
Just do it!

Wink

Beachgal!
Those pita things sound good! I have been trying to find something healthy to make for my DS! I will give them a try!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Pita crisps are great! i somtimes spray them with a bit of oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Watch them when you bake though as they burn fast!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/154/135

Thank you all SO much for the ideas. The baked pita's sound YUMMY. I could leave out the corn from the salsa too. I could put in some avacado and I've seen it w/another kind of bean in it also but don't know what kind.
I really appreciate all your help!! This is a great web site!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #7  
I'm In Exile

S/C/G: HUGE/HUGE/Semi-Normal

pita crisps with hummus is one of my favorite P2 snacks
Closed Thread