Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #1  
Carrie

S/C/G: 196/174.2/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Need Advice, please help

Unfortunatley, I carry probably about 25 of the 40 pounds I need to loose behind me from my rear end to the middle of the back of my legs. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about this. I can't due lunges right now due to knee problems but do a lot of squats but I'm afraid that I might not be doing what really needs to be done. I also do quite a bit of cardio, at least 30-40 minutes 4 days a week. Are there any suggestions?
healthy2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I haven't been able to get my body fat measured yet ... how did you find out yours?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #3  
Carrie

I have a trainer at the health club. He measures my body fat with calipers every 5 or 6 weeks, especially since my weight hasn't changed much, it's the only way to measure any kind of progress (except for the clothing size).
Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #4  
Mel

Unfortunately, you really can't spot reduce with specific exercises. If you have 25-40 pounds of fat there and you aren't losing much weight, you need to look at your nutrition and/or do a lot more cardio.

How many pinch points is your trainer using and how tall are you?

If you'd like to post your menus, I'm sure we could help you tweak them a bit.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #5  
Carrie

He uses three pinch points, the back of my arm, next to my hip bone and my thigh. I am approx. 5'8" tall. I keep my calories between 1400-1600. I've tried also around 1200 but it doesn't seem to matter. My doctor told me once, with my body type and after having four children, I may never be able to loose the extra that I carry behind me. I refuse to believe that and refuse to give up. I lost down to 165 about 6 years ago, but that was only doing cardio and no weight training. I like the weight training, because I like the changes in my body that come with weight training. I have muscles in places that I have never had muscles before, at least I have that as a success. I'm just afraid that I am gaining muscle in places such as my rear end that just may make it look even bigger. Is that possible?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #6  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

What are you eating and how are you keeping track of what you eat? I know a lot of us when we started (I was journalling calories by hand) had different ideas about portions that were unrealistic. I think measuring cups should be mandatory. Measure everything, twice, so you have a real good idea what "1 cup" is. I also went exactly by the label and I now I journal everything religiously online. 1400-1600 calories is a good range for you to lose in and if you are working with a trainer I'll bet your cardio is pretty well on plan. Congrats on the body fat loss, now maybe pay better attention to how you are eating and also WHAT you are eating. You tracking protein/fat/carb %?
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #7  
Carrie

I do try to watch my fat, carb, protein...that being said...I usually can't (never) can get enough protein. I have tried the protein shakes to try to get it up, but can't find one that I can get down without gagging....yuk I'm ususally a little high on my fats and carbs but not too far off most of the time. I do slip but try to get right back on target. I appreciate your input!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #8  
Carrie

Does anyone know why my signature lines have disappeared?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #9  
Carrie

Okay...now they're back...I don't understand how this stuff works
Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #10  
Carrie

Post before this one....gone again???? Watch it show up on this one.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Only shows up the first time you post in a thread. Saves bandwidth.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #12  
Mel

How long have you been working at this? Maybe you just need to keep on going. Everyone has stubborn spots- the last place that fat leaves. For me, it's my kidney area. It's frustrating, but the only way to see results is just plain day in, day out persistence.

There are lots of ways to get low calorie protein without gagging down shakes that you don't like. Cottage cheese can be eaten plain or mixed with just about anything on earth. The same goes for (cooked) egg whites. Lean chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, shellfish...or use the protein powder without making a shake. I've stirred it up into a pudding consistency and dipped half an apple in it, or baked the "pudding" in a microwave for about a minute to make a small brownie.

Take a look at the source of your carbs. Are they high quality? A balance of fruit, vegetables (lots of vegetables!) and unprocessed grains?

A three point caliper test is missing where you store most of your fat. For a more accurate idea of where you really are, ask your trainer to do a nine point test. Three points aren't very accurate on most women.

Quote:
My doctor told me once, with my body type and after having four children, I may never be able to loose the extra that I carry behind me.
Hmmmm...that sounds...absurd. I've worked with plenty of women who have had children and heavy thighs and cabooses. Having children affects the skin on your abdomen, your breasts, and how crazy you are , but unless you are eating their leftovers, it doesn't put fat on your butt! With good nutrition and exercise, they have all successfully lost. Keeping it off requires more of the same. If that's where your fat likes to have its fat convention, that's where it's going to return if you get complacent!

Try really hard to hit your protein/carb/fat ratios and just keep at it!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #13  
Going to ONEderland

Your butt is mostly muscle. Other than the heart it is the biggest muscle in the body. So no I really don't think working it out is going to make it bigger. What happens when you work out and build muscle is that the muscle becomes stringier, tougher like tough steak rather than well marbled or fatty steak. This is because the intramuscular fat is used up as fuel for the muscle. The fat around the muscles will eventually go too if you are working out seriously. Lunges aren't easy, squats aren't either, but what you might want to try is some straight legged dead lifts. That should work the back of your legs and butt and muscles through there, and it shouldnt hurt your knees. Ask your trainer to show you how to do those.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #14  

It's the 3 p's again, patience, patience, patience.

I'm not a trainer, unlike Magnificent Mel, but I would say up that cardio. Nothing is going to make your legs and bum bigger, promise. But you gotta get that fat off. I used to do 40 minutes 3 - 4 times a week, and now it's more like 60 two days 30 two days and 120 the other day (an hour of swimming in the morning and then gym in the afternoon - boy I love Sundays!!!)

I've lost 10 inches off my hip/bum area and almost the same off EACH THIGH!!!

My body shape has totally changed, I'm almost an hourglass, I still have a bit too much sand at the bottom, but before I looked like an hourglass that someone had forgotten to tip up!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #15  
Carrie

Thanks everyone for the advice....

Mel, I've been working on this for seven long months now. I have decided not to worry about the scales anymore because I don't seem to loose any weight but I do see differences in body appearance and the way I feel. That is what I have decided to focus on.

Sherry...I have just started in the past two weeks doing dead lifts and I really like them. I have been lifting weights so long now that I don't usually get really sore like I use to but with the dead lifts I actually feel the muscles in the back of my legs the day after.

I use to meet with the trainer four days a week, but after 6 months it was too expensive to keep doing, (and my DH was starting to have a cow) so now I meet with him just three days of one week every 5-6 weeks (does that make since) to change my routine and make sure my form is good on the exercise I do. I just met with him and he is changing my routine to lower weights and 4 sets of 20 reps (except for legs and that is 4 sets of 13-15 because I do cardio) and mixing up my days and body parts. That seems like a lot of reps and it may be a little challenging but I guess that is the point. He said he is trying to shock my muscles and see if we can get things shaken up a bit. What do you all think?

Last edited by healthy2b; 03-03-2006 at 03:01 PM.