Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #1  

Red face Soy Burgers Suck!!!

I hate the smell and the taste of soy . With that said, I purchase a pack of Boca Burger -- Garlic flavored burgers. The burgers were individually wrap before I could open the package I smell SOY however, I was remained brave and microwaved the burger it was the worst thing I ever tasted . It tasted like garlic soy period and the texture was strange. Anyway, does anyone know of any brand of veggie burgers they would recommend I just want to taste a bunch of different ones and maybe then I will find one I can stomach...

chiarij
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They have several brands of veggie burgers and the nice thing about them is if you can't stand it just take it right back with your receipt and they'll give you your money back. I've done it a couple times.

Since you have the box of Boca burgers already-try pan frying them to give the outside a crust and see if it improves the flavor. I really don't like them microwaved. If you drawn them in melted cheese it dramatically improves the taste.... oh, wait that's not the best -ok, 1oz of melted cheese properly accounted for.

I've also carmelized some onions and then added the boca burger at the end just to warm up some.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #3  
LLV

I found a brand at our super Walmart called Yves Veggie Cuisine. They're in the produce section. And they're really yummy. They taste like charbroiled burgers, but they're made from vegetable (and most likely soy, although I don't know exactly). Nor do I know if just the smell will put you off because I don't know what it is you're smelling, lol.

I personally love soy burgers and soy chicken products. I can't do the soy milk thing, though. Nasty stuff.

Yep, they're soy, I just went and found their website. But these burgers taste more like REAL burgers than any others I've tried. And they're firm like a real burger, not mushy like some of the Boca burgers are.

http://www.yvesveggie.com/splash.php

I buy their veggie chicken burgers, too.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #4  
Never give up

S/C/G: 298/230/150

Try them on the grill... We grill them then put them on a 1 point bun with lots of veggies kind of takes away the taste of the soy but is filler for the burger I can’t stand to eat them by themselves.

Lynn
Jeep Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #5  

I am a soy product lover having eaten them since childhood, before all the hoopla about health food even started. Having said that, I have to say that I HATE Boca Burgers. Their taste is so awful I just threw them away. The most readily available veggie burgers where I live are Morningstar Farms and they come in different flavors, worth a try.
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #6  

I found a black bean burger that is pretty good. You should try that, its by boca but keep an open mind, you may like it!
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #7  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I quite like the Morningstar brand, their "burgers" have a good texture that is almost meat like to me.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #8  

I haven't tried the burgers but I have had other Morningstar Farms products and they were very very tasty. If I was going to try another veggie burger it would be the Morningstar Farms brand.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #9  
it's always something

I hate any veggie burger that is supposed to resemble a burger. I love Morninstar Farms Sundried tomato and basil burgers
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #10  

I don't care for Boca's either, but I do like Morningstar farms, Gardenburgers and a new favorite I found at Trader Joe's Dr Praeger's http://www.drpraegers.com/ YUM!! I haven't had any of their soy based burgers, but I have had The Veggie Royale ones and they are very good.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #11  
with my mind on my monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
I don't care for Boca's either, but I do like Morningstar farms, Gardenburgers and a new favorite I found at Trader Joe's Dr Praeger's http://www.drpraegers.com/ YUM!! I haven't had any of their soy based burgers, but I have had The Veggie Royale ones and they are very good.
I second Dr. Praeger's California Burgers. They have all natural ingredients including big yummy chunks of vegetables. So delicious and only 100 calories each!
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #12