Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Angry Mommy's no chick!!!!

At breakfast one of my children mentioned how I like 3FatChicks - and my husband said, "but Mommy's no chick - she's more like an old hen."

I was sort of offended. I'm 38 years old and my husband is 41. He acts as if we are in our 80s! He keeps making comments about how old "we" are. I'm not quite ready to consider myself old yet! I feel great and I even still get flirted with sometimes, dang it!

I rollerblade and he says "you know, if you get hurt, your bones aren't going to heal up like they used to." And when I listen to music that I like, he looks down his nose at me like I'm being sooo immature. He used to listen to the same types of music, but now he only listens to 'back porch" music and old-timey bluegrass. It's like he's decided "we" are now officially old.

Is 38 old??
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #2  

Maybe he's just joking? My husband calls me old all the time and I make fun of his gray hair too. I always tell him to be careful or he's going to break a hip or something and we joke about how I'm losing my memory. It's just all a joke.

AmberM

By the way, I'm 29 and he's 32!
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

IMO, 38 is not old. My mom is 42, and I don't consider her old! My grandma doesn't really seem old to me either and she's 67.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #4  
Getting back on track

Hi Amber - your situation sounds funny! I WISH my husband was joking! I think he honestly thinks we are just totally over the hill and we should just stick to rocking chairs and porch swings from here on out!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #5  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Pfffft, as they say, "Age ain't nuttin but a number". Heck, I'm not even going to consider myself approaching middle-aged until I'm well into my 60s. Old? Hah, maybe 85ish. I'll tell you when I get there!

Hubby sounds like he thinks "old" is a bad thing. I hope as he ages, he reconsiders!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #6  
Mel

I'm sure he'd consider me an absolute lunatic. I rollerblade...and am starting to play ice hockey (but I bought very good padding!). I'm 51.

Old is how you feel. I have no intention of sitting around waiting to die for the next umpteen years

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #7  

I'm 37 so maybe I'm biased, but I don't think 38 is old. In fact, I LOVE this age. Plus, I truely believe that you are only as old as you feel. I know I FEEL much younger now than when I was 214 pounds at the age of 29. Normally, I'd suggest you let your husband know that his comments bother you. In this case, though, I'd say just ignore them. You know you aren't old, and you know how good you feel so just enjoy it.

It is funny that this subject should come up today. I am a year and a half older than my husband. Last night my 7 year old son asked why I was born before his dad but his dad looks so much older than me. I was quick to point out that I eat right and exercise. Then my husband tacked on, "AND colors her hair!" Rascal.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #8  
Getting back on track

Mel - too bad you don't leave near me - I've been seriously considering joining a women's hockey team! I love rollerblading and I love going fast and I think it would be so much fun! I'm only a mediocre ice skater though, so I'd have to work on that.

I like your attitude! I don't want to sit around and wait to die either!

By the way, as a medical transcriptionist, I often hear doctors when they are dictating refer to people in their 60s as middle-aged.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #9  
Getting back on track

Thanks Lucky - I feel younger now than I did before also - and I color my hair too!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #10  

Talking

My husband has been a butt head this week too.

YOU ARE A CHICK!!!!

And he's gonna know it and eat his words too when you become the uber svelte hot momma you are working to be....
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:34 AM   #11  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

My grandma always says you're only as old as you feel on the inside, and she doesn't feel any different than she did when she was my age. If you decide you're old, then you will be, but even 60 year old women can still retain their youth. Heck, look at Cher! And you don't need thousands of dollars worth of plastic surgery to be young like that, either. It's all on the inside.

We all feel old sometimes, though. I'm 18 and sometimes I feel like I'm over the hill XD
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #12  
Getting back on track

Thanks Aquachick! I think his little comment has motivated me even more to become that svelte chick you're talking about!!

lessthansign3 - You are doing great! I showed my almost 9 year old son your picture on your blog and he thought you were really pretty, just so ya know ;-) You're doing great by the way and thanks for your encouragement!
Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #13  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I'm sure he'd consider me an absolute lunatic. I rollerblade...and am starting to play ice hockey (but I bought very good padding!). I'm 51.

Old is how you feel. I have no intention of sitting around waiting to die for the next umpteen years

Mel
I am so glad you are around! I love rollerblading and I would hate to think that someone would put a certain age on rollerblading as if you pass the teeny bop or early 20 you have no business being on a pair of rollersblades in your 30s.

There are some people out there that thinks that to. I will hear it every now and then. It is only cute if you skating with your kids. Some of the things I hear.

Anyways, I always hope to find my self on a pair of roller blades through my 50s

I hope I see more people out there rollerblading through there 30s and up.

It's not just for kids!
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #14  
Melting Butter

Old is simply a state of mind.
People that are 72 feel young. Then there are people that are 50 that feel old. It's really more of how you feel and how you live your life!
I don't plan on getting old...ever!
healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #15  
No description available.

If not now, WHEN? No one gets younger chronologically. I just started Taekwondo. I may be 45 before I get a black belt...but so what? Time marches forward. Do what you are passionate about and thumb your nose at the naysayers who are old before their times!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote