Old 02-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #1  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Default Beltane Challenge

I've started a challenge with some of the ladies on my Pagan site. Beltane is exactly 10 weeks a way today. My personal challenge is to lose 2 pounds a week for a total of 20 pounds by Sunday, April 30th. We're weighing in on Sundays. I wonder if anyone here wants to go for it, as well? You see, my husband and I are leading the open Beltane Ritual and so it seems a perfect time to reveal a slimmer me!

It's funny but since I've gotten the digital scale, I am obsessed with weighing myself every morning. I know you're not supposed to do it but honestly, it motivates me. For instance, I've lost 4 ounces since yesterday morning and those ounces would have been unnoticeable on a different scale. Knowing they were gone made it very easy to pass on a bag of crisps for breakfast this morning and instead have 30g of Special K instead. I'm not very competitive when it comes to other people but I am very competitive with myself, if that makes any sense at all.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #2  

What a great idea! Be a great incentive to get some new ritual clothes, too! We're medieval re-enactors and DH is having to make me an entire new UK size 12 outfit as my old ones (18) are no use anymore! I've been thinking of making something especially good for Beltane - I'll join you! If I can lose this last 7lb or so, be a lovely excuse to have some nice new Beltane clothes!

(Just thinking even at size 12 you wouldn't catch me skyclad!)
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #3  
American ex-pat

My reward is gonna be some sexy lingerie. I figure my husband deserves a treat just as much as I do for putting up with me all this time!

Now let's see if I can figure out how to make my new tickers appear...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #4  
American ex-pat

Yeah! So yeah, I'm 3 pounds in to my Beltane challenge already! Go me!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #5  
Lisa

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Great idea! I'm always looking for ways to trick my brain when it comes to weight loss. I don't know about anyone else, but when you sit there with your goal looking you in the face that number just begins to feel bigger than you. I like to find ways to break it down. I like to say to myself 2lbs a week, feels like less work. I'm in on this challenge! Good luck ladies!

Last edited by oh_surfr; 02-21-2006 at 04:27 PM.
oh_surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hey there...can I join your Beltane challenge? April 30 is my birthday and Beltane has always been a special event for me. I'm pretty sure I was 166 thispast Sunday - so I'll have that be my starting weight for the challenge.

I started losing weight on 01/02/06 (179) and was aiming to be 135 by 4/30, but I had about 3 weeks of not losing anything and I'm pretty far behind my targeted rate of losing - so I don't know what a reasonable goal is for me now.

Anyway, Merry Meet!
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:23 AM   #7  
American ex-pat

Morgaine, where ya from in Ohio? I'm from Cincinnati, originally. I live in England now, though.

I'm still losing ounces a day. Each little victory just motivates me all over again. I even yelled for my husband to come and see the scale this morning, me skyclad and all. Not that he doesn't see me naked, I just don't normally parade about like that in the buff but I was just so excited!

Yucky, it's cold and wet this morning and if I didn't have to walk (school run), I'd stay home. I'm so glad I'm forced to get ths exercise!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Mummy Tummy - I'm from the northeast portion of Ohio - south of Cleveland - so I'm not from your neck of the woods.
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #9  
Lisa

Ahhh...so there are some Ohio (or ex-Ohio) girls in the room. Mummy Tummy, I'm from and am currently residing in Cincinnati. When did you move to England?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 PM   #10  
American ex-pat

I moved here just over 2 years ago. My husband is English so I came here to be with him. I'm from the West side of Cincy. How about you?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #11  
Lisa

Ahhh...I'm an east sider. Anderson area to be a bit more exact. I won't hold it against you that you're an ex- west side girl.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #12  
Losing the Weight!

Oh, I'd like to join this challenge. I could do 20 pounds by Beltane. That would be wonderful. So, count me in. Monday is my official weigh in, so that will have to do, on Monday I was 187.

Last edited by StargazerJMK; 02-28-2006 at 12:34 AM.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #13  
Just getting started...

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'7"

I would love to join the Beltane challenge, as well! Looking forward to cheering you all on!
Diva_at_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:41 AM   #14  
American ex-pat

Default Four Pounds Gone Forever!

As of last Sunday, I weighed 170.6. Today, one week later, I now weigh 166.6!!!!!!!!!! FOUR POUNDS!!!!!!! Now, I know some of that was because I weighed myself in clothes on the first day and have gone skyclad since then but I'm taking credit for losing at least 2 pounds of it through sheer willpower, hard work and determination!

My greatest victory this week has been mastering the urge to eat from booredom. You know that mindless grazing we do without even really thinking about it? One bit here, one bit there and before you know it, alot of empty calories have gone into your body that you're not even really aware of. It's not gone completely, I still have those urges but I'm gaining control of myself and I love that most of all.

My biggest battle was with a chocolate bar at the video store on Friday night. I lost! Total impulse buying and eating but I'll tell you what I've determined. If you have those moments, when you cave in for a naughty treat, do NOT scarf it down without tasting it, afraid someone will see you. No, the best way is to eat it slowly and savor it. I mean, you're adding the calories anyway, aren't you? Might as well enjoy it. And when you allow yourself to savor like that, it makes it less important next time to have a hidden snack. It's a huge shift in thinking that actually makes alot of sense. Don't be a guilt-eater, feeling bad about everything you eat because that fuels depression and a "might as well eat what I want now because I've blown it" mentality. I had the choccy, I enjoyed it thoroughly and then it made my determination to stay on the bandwagon that much stronger. Funny my epiphany was delivered via chocolate when that's not even my problem area! Oh well!

I can't believe how much more energetic I feel. I've been bouncing around all weekend. I'm sure alot of it is because mentally, I'm feeling very successful. But I can tell that some of it is from really having more energy. 8 pounds gone in two weeks! It's probably that I'm eating a much healthier diet that gives me more fuel naturally. I've increased veggies by a ridiculous amount. Over half of my dinner plate anymore is a mix of vegetables and I sometimes eat a bowl full of hot veggies for lunch. But I'm making better choices about everything, including limiting portion sizes of wholegrain pastas and breads. If I have a sandwhich, I use one slice of wholemeal bread instead of two. When I have potatoes (new red potatoes), I just have a very small portion. And I've increased the amount of water I drink, as well.

I'm just feeling really good an for the first time like I can really do it!
Old 02-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #15  
Lisa

Default Hooray for weight loss!

Way to go Mummy Tummy!!! Congratulations on the loss!

I hadn't weighed myself in about 2 weeks. Busy preparing for a new job I'm about to start tomorrow, busy planning a wedding, just busy in general. I got on the scale today to weigh myself as part of this Beltane challenge and I about fell off of my scale. My starting weight was 205 and I'm down to 196!9 pounds in 2 weeks! Ladies, all I can tell you is DRINK YOUR WATER!!! Honestly, I hadn't changed much else about my diet. I starting walking my dog as part of a little exercise for the both of us and made the very rough decision to cut back my soda and sweet tea intake. I went back to drinking lots of water. When I was in high school and doing a lot of singing with choirs and things, the rule was that the amount of water we needed to drink to not only be hydrated enough to live but to also keep our vocal cords healthy was to take our weight, divide that number in half and that was the number of ounces of water to drink that day. If nothing else it encouraged you to try and keep your weight down so you wouldn't have to drink as much water...lol. I've been getting very close to that goal each day and I really think that's what's been a huge factor in my loss.

We're on our way ladies! Keep the weight loss coming!!!