Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Default Step on it.

"Regular wiegh-ins could help you lose big, a report from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis suggests. Over a two-year study, dieters who hit the scale daily cut their body-mass index twice as much as those who weighed in less than once a week. Weighing primes you to pursue get-slim tactics, study authors sa. But don't obsess over digets--a 1- to 3-pound daily flux is normal."

That's from the March issue of "Self" Magazine.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

i think stepping on every day may make you feel worse about your weight loss. if you plan to set yourself up for a weightloss of one pound per week, you would do best to just step on once a week. twice if you need the knowledge that you are not doing badly. i switched over to once a week and maybe once in the middle of the week. and i only weigh in first thing in the morning after i go pee and in the nude.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #3  
LLV

I stopped the daily weighing as well. I weigh once a week. If I remember. I found it completely pointless to weigh myself every day. Yes, the 1-3 pound fluctuations are normal - but it doesn't make them any less discouraging.

I don't need the useless stress.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #4  
Sweet Success

Default I couldn't

I could not weigh myself in everyday. I can't stand the fluctuations!

I think weighing myself once a week is the best thing to my mental state and has done the best for me as far as losing.

Once a week weigh in and measuring myself has been the best mentality for me.

FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:24 PM   #5  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Whoo, go U of M! That's the school I'm going to next year

I prefer to weigh only once or twice a week. It just feels better.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #6  
Mel

Whenever I stop weighing daily, I gain. Everyone is different, but if I let it go to once a week, I think I can "get away" with more. I've learned to accept the fluctuations, but weighing less frequently I think I rationalized real gains as fluctuations and ignored them. I need that daily dose of reality!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

yes - without the daily weigh i start gaining. i am queen of denial when i dont have the cold hard numbers.

my weight flux is also pretty standard.
1-2 lbs if i BINGE
1 lb if i go a little crazy or eat a lot of salt
0 if i just did so so
-.5 if i did pretty good
-1 if i did GREAT

i dont gain weight at that TOM .... the scale pretty nearly always shows what i expect...within a lb or two... and seeing it up 2 just motivates me to do better so i see it go down the next day! for me- its about accountability

to each his own!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #8  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I used to weigh once a week and found the suspense was killing me. If things turned out ok, I was fine, but if I STS or went up, I was devastated. Especially if I felt I had done ok. Once a week was just too stressful.

I recently started daily weighing. First thing in the morning, after a bathroom visit and (cover the kids' eyes) sans garments, if you get my drift . I'm weighing me and only me. Suddenly, I'm feeling empowered. I feel like I'm in control here.

It's only been a fcouple weeks and I have yet to encounter TOM (but I suspect it's right around the corner), but the little daily halfers up and down haven't thrown me for a loop at all.

I think this way is going to work for me.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I do my official weigh in on Sundays, although, I have a habit of weighing whenever I go over to my boyfriend's house, since his is the scale that I use...If I've gained, I realize I have to work extra hard for Sunday, and if I've lost, that keeps me motivated. But I only update my tracker and weight on Sundays.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

In the past I have always weighed in every day... but this time I decided to try the once a week thing and see how it goes. This week was my first time and I have to admit it was nice to see the scale drop four pounds. Of course the day it doesn't drop or goes UP will be disappointing. But I am going to force myself to do it for now.

Dance
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #11  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy
yes - without the daily weigh i start gaining. i am queen of denial when i dont have the cold hard numbers.
Same here.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #12  

hmmmmmm I'm thinking of becoming a daily weigher, I'll have to buy some scales first. I weight at my gym and its 50 pence a time LOL, that's £3.50 a week, which in US money is about $6!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:36 PM   #13  

Wow that's a lot to have to pay to weigh, kykaree! I am fortunate that the place I work has a small fitness room with a professional scale on it. Since I only want to weigh myself first thing in the morning I only have to resist the temptation before I eat my breakfast.

And hey, I see you just made it to Onederland! Yayaaaaay for you!!

===applause applause=====

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Same here.
You LOOK like the only thing you have been denying yourself is junk food and laziness! Wow you look fantastic! You must be SO proud of yourself; I am proud of you too!

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #15  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

You have to pay to weigh? That's just evil. I wonder why they do that, if it's a health club and you pay a membership fee to use it?

Geez, imagine if they made you pay a la carte for all the services. Pay-by-the-mile treadmills, pay-by-the-lap swimming pool, pay-by-the-gallon shower...

I can't even imagine having to pay to weigh. Unless, of course, all the scales are set to 135lbs. Hmmm, I think I would pay for that!

And yes, congrats on crossing over into One-derland! That's One-derful!!!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote