Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #1  
takin it one lb at a time

Angry this day is full of temptations...

Girlscouts came today and my mom gave me half a box of mint cookies.

I've only eaten 2... but it's only been 20 minutes, lol.

Now one of my coworkers just gave me a CHOCOLATE COVORED donut.

I've only eaten a pinch....

Someone take this food awayyyyy....
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #2  
Aleecia

I feel your pain. I went through the whole GirlScout thing early this week. Its not easy. Also a woman I work with just brought in a chocolate cake for everyone.
Hang in there. You can do it!
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #3  
takin it one lb at a time

Thank god the donut was cream filled... I hate cream filled... so I ate the edges and threw it out.

Someone's gonna have a nice, long, workout this evening.
x0xmelissax0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  
Aleecia

Good for you. You're entitled to treats now and then. Great job at not eating the whole thing.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:31 PM   #5  
Running Wild

just throw it in the trash. Lord knows i have done that many a time!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #6  

I feel your pain, my girl scout cookies arrived this week too, thank god i only bought one box. Throw the dounut away, so you wont be tempted.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

take a bite of the donute then throw it in the trash. that is the only way to keep it from staring at you. or if you want to, then just eat it and realize that maybe tomorrow won't be so tempting. we all fall off of the wagon sometimes and it's okay. it won't derail us from our journey. i bought the mini cupcakes the other day. it's only about 60 calories for one. it's better than eating a whole big cup cake. and it is a sweet surprize to have occassionally. i don't crave one every night, so when i do, i let myself have one. denying yourself all of your favorites, sets you up for a binge. a lifestyle change is learning to eat your favorite foods but in moderation.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Nobody is going to take the food away... you have to learn to THROW or GIVE it away, or say "no thanks" in the first place. EVERY day is full of temptations. That's the catch... we have to turn away from them.

One thing which is helping me... I am paying myself small amounts for goals accomplished, for money to blow on my cruise in May. One thing is I get $5 for every week for which I stay totally on plan and eat nothing I shouldn't. BUT if I eat ONE bad thing, there goes the whole 5 bucks!!!

Dance
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I would have just thrown it away....cuz having it sitting there isn't the temptation, but when I take a bite, it triggers me to want the entire thing!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xmelissax0x
Girlscouts came today and my mom gave me half a box of mint cookies.

I've only eaten 2... but it's only been 20 minutes, lol.

Now one of my coworkers just gave me a CHOCOLATE COVORED donut.

I've only eaten a pinch....

Someone take this food awayyyyy....
One of the best things I ever did for myself when I started this journey was to give myself permission to be a ***** about food. I found that a lot of times, I ate stuff I didn't want to eat because I wanted to fit in, be easy to get along with or not hurt anybody's feelings. If my coworkers want Mexican or pizza, in the past I would have said yes, in order to fit in, to be easy to get along with - now I just tell them to have a good time.

If one of my coworkers offered me a chocolate covered donut, I would immediately say no. It's odd how people are with food, because the coworker would probably start insisting that I take it, I now feel perfectly comfortable saying firmly that I don't want the donut. If they left it in my office anyway, I would immediately pitch it in the trash.

Saying "no" to food has been a real eye opener about other people. If someone doesn't want a chocolate donut, why be so pushy/insistent? It's just weird behavior on their part.

You didn't even like the donut, you ate the edges of a donut you don't like. Why did you do that? If it's not worth eating and makes you feel guilty and like you have to work out to burn it off, just don't eat it in the first place.

Caveat - if you do want to eat the donut, it fits in your plan for the day, eat the donut
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:54 PM   #11  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

One bite of that donut will taste just as good as the entire thing. Take a bite, and throw it in the trash. You'll enjoy the delicious taste, you won't consume the large number of empty calories donuts have to offer, and you won't drive yourself insane It's okay to tell someone no, too. Tell them you aren't hungry, or that you don't like donuts. People offer me coffee all the time and I'm never afriad to turn it down because I HATE coffee. Just the smell of it gags me. So why would donuts be any different? If you really love donuts, consider it a white lie and feel good about saying no.

If you were offered cocaine, would you be ashamed to say no? Hopefully not. If the person insisted you take it, would you still resist? I hope so. If they left some for you, what would you do with it? I sure hope you'd dispose of it.

...Kay, strange analogy, but I hope it works!
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #12  

Since I really try not to be a ***** one thing I have learned when people keep insisting I eat is that they are just wanting to share something good with me. But when I just politely let them know that I am content with what I am eating, that I am eating what is right for me and I am happy with it, they usually back down. If I go with the attitude of I'm not feeling sorry for myself or drooling over what they are eating, then they become comfortable too... in fact I think a lot of them realize THEY should be doing the same thing too!

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Three things
1) In health class in 9th grade a guest speaker put a donut in a squishing machine, squished out 1/4 cup of oil and passed it around for everone to smell. Cured me for life.
2) When a girl scout comes to sell cookies, give her a $5 or a $20, call it a donation and let her keep the cookies
3) Last week at a rare all day meeting with our department one of the guys bought everyone a giant (fresh out of the oven and hot) cinnomon roll. I said no, but I really stood out as the person in the room not rolling around in ecstacy over them. No one gave me a bad time or asked me twice. One other lady skipped it, saying she had just had breakfast. That helped me. Whenever people offer me food, I say I just ate. If the asked twice I say I just ate alot.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with Dance, EVERY SINGLE DAY has temptations, you must learn to say "No, no thanks, I'll pass for today" . I have also learned that I have a weird reaction to sugar or highly processed carbs now. in that they will make me really really tired to the point that I have to go to bed. I really hate when that happens so I don't eat foods that I react to anymore. So I just explain this to people when they offer muffins and donuts and such. They think I'm a little "weird" , but I don't care anymore, I want to feel good. Also when I say no to certain foods, it really really gives me a feeling of empowerment and I like that...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #15  

Morrigan, I do that too with kids selling cookies and candy... just give them a donation and they get to keep the goodies!!

I am learning too not to worry about it if others feel uncomfortable because I am not pigging out with them. I DO let them know (they often ask) if it bothers me if they eat in front of me that the answer is NO.

Dance