Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 10:09 AM   #1  
Net browser

Hi Again: Here's the new thread. But I forgot what you all wrote on the other one so I have to go back and look. LOL
I'll be back in a few minutes.
Slavika
Old 12-06-2000, 10:20 AM   #2  
Life Time 2001

pull to the top. I messed up......
Old 12-06-2000, 10:56 AM   #3  
Net browser

I brought my post over from the other site Lily.

Ok gang I'm back. TRUDY I KNEW
how that bus trip turned out but I sure enjoyed reading your post about it. I particularly liked the bit about those scented Christmas trees to try to keep the toilet smells at bay. Geez I don't know which would have been worse and the combination of the two must have been uhm.....interesting YIKES.
LILY I guess I must be pack rat because I sure have a lot of stuff...not coffee cups like your DH just STUFF.
CAL well hello, nice "seeing" you. Sounds like not only are you having a good time but staying on program too. Good for you. I liked all the Christmas traditions that the gals posted and I certainly like yours too about doing something nice for children. You seem to have a very full and good life Cal and I always enjoy your posts. You will soon be down the wee bit to achieve your 90# loss. WTG
GLENDA only my friend Trudy could go on a 30 hour express bus/holiday that takes 48 hrs. LOL
PHILL I sure love recipes. In fact when I first got my computer I printed and printed recipes off the internet and then bought a couple of big binders to put them into, ok well, maybe I bought LOTS of big binders to put them into. I mean I printed off recipes that there is not hope of me ever trying, but I printed them off anyway. Now I am a little bit more selective. I still look up and read the recipes but I don't print them ALL anymore.
I saw DEE today at WW and then she came back to my place for tea and she looks great like always, but I think she was tired from the outing. She hand made each us a gift of room refresheners in little glass jars from gelatin and scented oils. Smells lovely and looks pretty too.
I did fine at WW today, maintaining my goal. The lecture today was, it doesn't matter how much food is around for the holidays, or how much people encourage us to eat it, or eat treats in front of us, ultimately the decision is ours as to whether we CHOOSE to eat it or not. BROTHER....what a burden. LOL
Well it's getting late so I'm going to say good night. Talk to you all tomorrow. Have a great day.

Old 12-06-2000, 07:06 PM   #4  

Trudy Definitely the bus trip from ****! I have heard several horror stories about the bus trips to La Vegas. My unlce went on one and it was almost as bad as yours!
I've been really tired the last 2 evenings but I had to get back to work. I just hope I get over this stuff before Christmas!
Guess what we are doing at work! Celebrating the 12 days before Christmas by bringing food for 12 days!! And this department really loves to eat and there are lots of good cooks! My usual solution is to enjoy small portions and eat veggies for supper. But I don't know how I will do with constant food! I guess I will be here posting a lot!!

------------------
"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau, author (1817-1862).
Old 12-06-2000, 07:24 PM   #5  

Wow, Trudy, that was some trip! I'm shivering just thinking about how cold you must have been on the last leg. You had a lot of fortitude to stick it out. Whoever the tour operator was deserves a really appropriate punishment - like having a truckload of manure bury his car!!

I composed a long reply to this post last night and when I finished discovered that a new thread had been started and my message completely disappeared. (I think I need to compose elsewhere and then paste it in, as soon as I figure out how to do that). Don't you wonder where your words go when that happens? I picture millions of messages floating out into the cosmos like the beginning of a Star Wars movie, and one day some alien being in a remote galaxy is asking "What's a Weight Watcher?"

Margot, I'm going to Disneyland the day after Christmas and am looking forward to seeing all the changes I've heard they are making. The last time I was there was about ten years ago. Congratulations on staying OP during your trip. I hope I'll be able to do the same. Loved your idea about the veggie tray for the office - we have a constant parade of goodies in every department here. I'm thinking of putting on gloves every time I leave my desk so I can't pick up a candy here and a cookie there. Maybe blinders too.

I could have used gloves and blinders last night at our office's annual ladies Christmas party. Actually, I had banked points for it, and I was careful about making the best choices and limiting portion sizes, so I think I'll be ok. I went to my WW meeting right before the party and got a little boost of motivation. And, I have a whole week to be OP before the next WI. I lost two pounds this week (still have eight to get rid of from my Thanksgiving binge).

Maria, I've been interested in Australia ever since I had a pen pal from Adelaide when I was a teenager. I hope to visit there when I retire. I was reading about Dorinda Hafner; she is supposed to have a PBS show, but we don't get it here. At least not yet. Her recipes of the week sound scrumptious.

Anne, I found the Moyle Council website, and your region looks lovely. There was a PBS program last year about scenic rail journeys and one of them was a train from about where you are to Belfast. I was especially interested because my grandmother came from Northern Ireland. She grew up in the town of Bessbrook on her grandmother's dairy farm, and commuted to Belfast to work in the linen mills after she left school at the age of twelve. I traveled to Ireland in 1981, but didn't get to the north on that trip. I hope to do so some day and see all the places Grandma used to talk about.

Well, I have the day off today so I can help my handyman install a cedar lining in my closet, and he is due here any minute, so I will sign off. Have a great OP day everybody!
Old 12-06-2000, 10:20 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Trudy Have you recovered? I think it should take you until about July. That whole trip was an example of Murphy's Law--if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Thank goodness for your handywoman. She made some of it a bit more bearable. Anyone who departs on a trip like this is taking their lives in their hands. It doesn't sound safe at all, that the bus and equipment are all broken or in a bad state of repair. But you kept your sense of humor, at least when reporting about it. I would imagine you would have had to "dig" when it was happening to come up with any humor.

Mareed So you have ties with Northern Ireland and have been there! What wonderful stories your grandma must have told you! Hope you can get back there and retrace your family's journey.

Slavika How in the world did you not even drop a hint about Trudy's trip! So glad you saw Dee and she is doing okay. Have some of her concerns with her daughter been answered? Moms just shouldn't ever be sick, but when they are, it takes a big toll on the family. But, at least in my case, my children REALLY appreciate me now after the cancer.

I hope all the hints we have gotten about getting through the holidays are great. I really like Karen's message to just THINK a bit, mentally rehearsing. If I am in a big rush, don't slow down and don't THINK and just rush into a room of food, I am a goner. If I just take time to prepare myself, I have a slight chance of making better choices.
Glenda
Old 12-07-2000, 12:26 AM   #7  

Glenda
I just read your post about thinking before I rush into a room full of food. Now why didn't that occur to me and I didn't even notice it in Karen's post. Now it is like the light bulb coming on!! I'm making my self a small poster to put on my desk that says
THINK BEFORE YOU EAT

------------------
"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau, author (1817-1862).
Old 12-07-2000, 08:49 AM   #8  
Super Surfer

NEWS FLASH.......Don't ever take a grouchy old man with a head cold Christmas shopping! I have been to the Mall and I don't even know how many stores trying to find the perfect gifts. I just made a dent in my shopping. As soon as I got into the house I was heading to the fridge. I eat when I am stressed. However, I CHOSE not to eat. We ate out at Perkins so I am not hungry, just frustrated! I decided to post instead.

I haven't had time to look up the sites you ladies have been posting, but I will when I get caught up. Last night I addressed Christmas cards. I have a few letters to write then I can send them off. We received our 1st card today.

It is a real pretty evening here, the snow is gently falling, no wind. When I was a child winter was my favorite time of the year. There were outdoor ice skating rinks in every school yard and community club. I would come home to change soggy mittens and warm up a bit in front of the wood stove, and then would go back out again. The world isn't that safe anymore, you don't see children playing outside in the evenings now.

It is so nice to read about everyone traditions, and to hear about the places you all live. Keep posting ladies.

Good Night, and have a great Thursday OP....

Old 12-07-2000, 09:43 AM   #9  

Hello All,

TrudyThat was the best story of a bus trip from **** I have read in ages. Being a seasoned traveler I can relate to almost everything you said only my host was always the US Army. I agree you must have dug real deep to keep you sense of humor. If it were me I'd be looking for a hit man.

Cal You are such an inspiration to us all. *** happy dance for you.

Phill I have not been a leader all that long . July of 98 I think, I'd have to find the papers and they are here some where in this mess. I'll be glad when I can get this room organized again.

Glenda Madrigal Dinner brings back memories of my son as a court jester.(I think we still have the tights he wore) He really had fun being part of it. We enjoyed going also.

Lily Alas I'm the pack rat here. I have sets of dishes that I can't bring myself to get rid of just in case we might need them. Who knows when I may have to feed the whole town. :confused:

Mareed Beleive me you are not alone with messages floating around in cyber space. There are many signed Karen L.

Weight Watches meetings have been busy this week .. Last week the weather was so bad a lot of members stayed home(smart) So this week they were out in force. Next week it should be more of the same with the intro to the Winning Points.

Got to go, have to get up early to sit with grandkids while my DS plays vollyball at 6:00 in the morning. Then another meeting later in the morning.

[This message has been edited by Karen L (edited 12-06-2000).]
Old 12-07-2000, 10:20 AM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Gang Had my usual Wednesday outing for lunch and shopping with my good friend and had a great day. I am pretty well finished my Christmas shopping and everything is wrapped. My HOUSE sure is in need of some attention. YUK.
I made a small start on my Christmas cards, so have to get going on them.
GLENDA Dee's daughter is doing better, she's a sweet girl, she'll be ok.
MAREED Hi Marsha, 2# down good for you. It's tough losing weight at this time of the year.
PHILL That's a good idea to plan to have just small portions of the food that is brought into the office that way you won't feel deprived.
Guess what? ? Last night before I went to bed I looked out into the back yard and there was a BUNNY eating some of the squirrel/bird food. I had scattered some of the seeds near the squirrel box for the birds and the bunny was eating it. It was kind of funny because it had been lightly snowing last night and the food was covered with snow and somehow he cleared the snow off the seeds and was quite enjoying himself. I don't know if he uses his little face and nose to clear the snow or his paws but he sure did a good job. Well tonight I put out 2 big carrots for him, so I hope he comes back and eats his treat before they are frozen solid.
Ok, I'll say good night now. Night.
Old 12-07-2000, 09:22 PM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Mareed: Try opening Notepad and type your message in there. Then you can copy and paste it to the to the board. Congrats on the loss!

Karen: LOL Whole town huh? Good thing you dont live with my DH. 2 pack rats would be murder! Its funny cuz i also threw a set of dishes away to. I have had them forever and they never get used so away they went! I get in throwing away moods and nothing stop me!

Slavika: Oh a bunny now! I want to live at your house! You get such cute creatures to come and visit!

Phill: Sounds like you have a good plan. You'll do fine!

Trudy: Sounds like you didnt have a fun day shopping! Leave him home next time.

Im all done with Christmas presents. Got the last in the mail yesterday and went home and wrapped thme. Now all we need to do is get the tree and decorate. The fun part! Love to decorate my house! We are going to do that this weekend.

[This message has been edited by LilyG (edited 12-07-2000).]
Old 12-07-2000, 11:48 PM   #12  
Net browser

ALAS LILY Bunny didn't show up last night and when I went out to feed Sammy (the squirrel and his friend) this morning there were the two carrots frozen solid.
Old 12-08-2000, 04:54 AM   #13  

Boy that bunny just doesn't know what he missed!! I live close enough to the edge of town that I still see bunnies and roadrunners. They are so neat to watch in the spring when they are running around with their little families!
Did ok yesterday, but I did end up eating 2 small pieces of chocolate cake. I just added it into my points. Today the coworker signed up for the snack called in sick! So I am right on target today!!! I just need to stay that way! I have decided that I am bringing in a vegtable tray with regular and nonfat dips! I'm going to buy it at Costco ready made!

------------------
The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight
because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.
Old 12-08-2000, 06:06 AM   #14  

G'day all
You guys do lead a very different life to me. I didn't realise there was actually such a thing as a roadrunner, I thought they only existed in Bugs Bunny movies
The only thing I feed is lorrikeets and any other parrot that may wish to partake of the seed I put out
To eradicate the rabbits we had in plague proportions we put out mixametosis!
You sound like you are right on track Phil, good on ya.
I was right on track until last night when dh and I decided to walk to the foreshore and have a meal there. It was a lovely balmy night, I had lasagne and dh had risotto. They also had some live music, a clasical guitar player and a person who played the flute, it was just lovely and we just sat there for a couple of hours sipping wine and listening to the music
Out again tonight to a business christmas do, I have to be on my best behaviour so water only tonight
We contiue to have beautiful weather but no rain in sight. There is a cyclone hovering over the top of Western Australia, a very long way from where I am, hopefully it will go out to sea.
Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-08-2000, 08:43 AM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Everybody OY VEY~~~ I got an emergency phone call from my 7 yr old grandson. He wanted to know if I had any stuff left from my "pioneer days" because they are studing about that in school and he has to take something in to share with his class. I USED TO BE really be fond of that child too. LOL. I said, "like what sweet child"? He said, "it could be anything Baba, even something you used in the 1900's". YIKES. As apposed to what, the stuff I USED in the 1800'?
SO KAREN you would be looking for a hit man eh? What makes you think that TRUDY has not made inquiries? hee hee
PHILL Really, there is such a thing as a BEEP BEEP Roadrunner. I didn't know that. Does the real roadrunner look anything like the cartoon version??
Tomorrow morning I will make an effort to tidy up my house and bring up the all the Christmas decorations except the tree stuff. I think in the afternoon I will have the pleasure of tea time with the "Princess".
Talk to you all tomorrow. I'll come back later and see who else posted. Night all.
Closed Thread