Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #1  

Default Losing on Nutrisystem!

I'm currently on the Nutrisystem diet and I love it. The food is good (it's just really portion controlled) .I've been on it before when I first had my kids. I've lost 5 lbs. in the first 1.5 weeks!

Since they have several discounts the food is fairly reasonable. They currently have a week free when you order the 28 day order. So that makes it 5 weeks of meals. The regualr price is $329 but if you order the "autoship" where they ship your order automatically every month, you get free shipping and the order gets down to 289. That's not bad when you think about losing weight, not really cooking breakfast lunch dinner, snacks. All you add is fruit and salads and dairy.

Also you can change the autoship program back 45 days and then cancel altogether if you don't plan on re-ordering.

I'm an accountant so I "run numbers" for everything (lol)! Let me know if I can help in any way!
AMAntunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #2  

Hi, I'm not on Nutrisystem diet, but I did order their 7-day vegetarian dinner pack from QVC, just to have some quick dinners on hand and see what all the fuss is all about.

I was really surprised at how tasty and filling the food is. By the time I add a vegetable and fruit I am really full! Glad you've had good success with it!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #3  

Hello glad I found this thread, it seems you like the food, I've not ordered they food yet nor am I on a diet. I've been thinking about nutrisystem and want to figure out how everyone handles meals for husbands and other members of their household. I lost 50 pounds 2 years ago by calorie counting, but need to lose about 50 more counting some weight gain back. I didn't know you could get nutrisystem on QVC is it cheaper or just without any strings to try it.
quiltmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #4  

Why don't you calorie count again? It apparently works. Then you won't have to worry about what to feed the family. I'm doing Calorie Queen menus and my family dh, 12 year old son, 10 year old daughter, and 4 year old daughter are loving every bite and are none the wiser that it's "diet" food.

Then you can put the money you would save into your pocket instead of someone elses.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #5  

I may end up doing just that, counting calories, but I'm a little scared I'll get too bored with the way I used before. I've never heard of Calorie queen, can you tell me what it is?

I've just been at the QVC site and it seems you can order a one week supply with out it being on direct reorder so there may be hope yet. It is only me and my husband here so I'm trying to avoid a ton of work cooking two meals, but also the tempations that comes with seeing something different from what you are eating. Yikes....
Old 02-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #6  

There's actually a thread here in the Calorie Counters forum about it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70717

It's a calorie counting program where you learn to live with food. The premise is you take your ideal weight and multiply that time 12 to find your max caloric intake. So, if your ideal weight is 135 your max caloric intake is 1620 per day. Of course, that's just an estimate but a great jump off point. It's not fast weight loss, but satisfying. You feel your calories with nutrient rich foods and I've found when I do that then I always have room at the end for a little indulgence if I wish or I can take the deficit.

The book is called "Calorie Queens - Living Thin In A Fat World" and it's by Jackie Scott and Diane Scott Kellum. They also have a website at caloriequeens.com. The authors post there and they are very humble and honest about what they've done (lost 300 pounds collectively). They share their recipes and boy howdy can they cook!

Scan through the thread I linked above and see what people here at 3fc have said. Some like the plan and some don't. I am one that just loves it.

Even if you don't go with calorie queens, I hope you seriously consider calorie counting again. Honestly, all diets are low calorie...they just fear the old fashioned name.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #7  

I've just ordered the book and will give it a good read. It really sounds like what I did last time. I think just trying to start gives you tons of confidence. I guess today I've made a start!!!! I had a meal bar for breakfast and a apple as a snack. Then lunch I had two pieces of diet bread and diet cheese, then a bag of the 100 calorie chips. Tonight a simple meal. It won't be exactly diet but it will be a good beginning to cutting back and down off of the other stuff.

I do believe I'd be skinny if my mind didn't want to eat all the time, and want cookies and junk. I wish I could develope an allergy to any kind of chocolate!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #8  

I know what you mean. I'm a milk drinker...it's my alcohol but I've developed an allergy to it so I can't drink it. Yeah, I don't have the calories any more but I don't get to indulge either.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #9  

I developed lactose intolerance for a short while, never did figure that out? I survived day one of a plan. No matter that the plan is willy nilly right now. For yesterday I didn't give up and just eat everything in my sight!

I know I feed my face when I'm bored, lonely, or even the slightest bit down. Looking back over the last 12 months, I can say I've been mentally in a hole. I've got tons of things to do, or things I could be doing that are quite interesting but instead eat, eat, eat. Nasty circle.

We are leaving tonight to go to my uncles just for the weekend so I'll have to figure that out as I cross each bridge. I figure if I eat the same, meals bars for breakfast lunch etc. Then I can have a regular dinner as long as I keep it fairly moderate. I need to just manage day by day until I get my feet solid on the ground with this. Hopefully by then my QVC order and the book will have come in.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #10  

My nutri system meal package arrived yesterday so today will be the start of my one week test. I did weigh myself and I will weigh at the end to just see how it goes.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8

quilt- you can do this! Just take it one day at a time- hour by hour if you need to. Make sure to eat all your extra fruits, veggies and protein so that you are not hungry. I try to eat something every three hours, and I am rarely hungry. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 AM   #12  

I do love the portion control and I like the ease of it, and all the calories and things are there. I track that too, because evantually, I know I have to make the transition to counting caloreis, to know how much I eat, to maintain my goal weight. eeek! It seems so far off but I'm not going to focus on that now!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/226/150

Default Benefits of NS

I am currently on NS as well. I don't have time to count calories since I travel a lot for work. I'm also single, so I don't have to worry about the rest of the family just yet!

The review on this web site does not give them justice! If you follow the plan properly and eat all of the food, you'll never be hungry and everything will taste great!

Not only is there the NS BB (http://discussions.nutrisystem.com/e...XPAND=&BOARD=5) for recipes to spice up the foods (if you don't like them), but there are also other BBs dedicated to NS users. The one I use, for example, is Jazzman's site (http://s2.forumforfree.com/index.php...man&act=SC&c=2). This is a HUGE support BB for people currently on NS or people who were on it and are now living life the "regular" way by eating healthy with their own foods! There are recipes for NS food and healthy everyday food. The people are awesome, friendly, and so supportive.

We all have our choices in life! We all have different reasons why we choose to do things! I chose to start NS to get me down to an ideal weight easily without fuss since my life can be crazy and I can be very forgetful! Once I've reached my goal with them I can use everyone's help from the Jazzman site to keep myself going in the right direction and eat healthy!
Tallullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #14  

Sounds good Tallullah. I can't see why anyone would give them an overall bad review. anything that helps someone should be considered good and their choice. Many folks are the same as you, lead hectic lives with work and or kids plus many other things added in that are very stressful. I'm lucky in that, that I only have the husband to stress me out now, LOL. but I do have time to think and prepare different things and try different things to see what works for me and how best to use different things.

I kind of think of that as a progress towards, as you say the goal. I know if I was working now (retired in 2000) I'd be more than likly taking ever advantage I could to ease my time and make dieting less hassle and stress. I don't see why anyone could object to that.

I like the fact that NS does not have to be frozen or refrigatrated. That really makes it so much more stress free at a time you need less stress. I think the meals are balanced and nutritious. I didn't read the review and probably would not as I like forming my own opinion. I also know that some things come easier based on each individual. I don't think anyone should find fault with that. I think that is what makes us appreciate each other and hopefully considering and understanding other folks have things going on i.e., like you work, and like me family issues that pull me out of my home for days at a time. I think anyone who is trying to better themselves should get as much support as possible. I know how hard it is for me to just get the nerve to diet, let alone the motivation. I can only imagine it is as hard for others if not harder.

I've yet to go to the NS site to get ways to jazz up the meals. Mostly because of the way I will be using them. My situation is I will not have access to many things I would in my home and without the NS meals I'd be forced to eat foods that are not healthy for me and could easily help me dig myself into a hole diet wise. I'm just glad I have choices, like NS to help me get over a hump in the journey.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #15  

I registered just to comment on the Nutrisystem review because if I had read this review before I started NS, I would have hesitated to order it.

I don't know why the reviewer chose milk for all her dairy/protein servings and then complained that she got hungry. I don't know why she would complain that the broccoli soup would taste better with fresh broccoli - and then not add it. If you read the info that comes with the box of food, it's entirely on plan to switch up your vegetables and mix them into the food. The dinners are saucy on purpose so that your 2 hot vegetables at night can be added to the entree. The pizza is plain so that you can add your own fresh vegetables. The beef tacos are awesome when made into a taco salad.

I do question whether someone who won't eat any of the beef entrees, which are some of the best ones in my opinion, is qualified to review the plan. By steering away from the beef, she missed a great lunch called "pasta with beef" that is like a spicy hot chili mac. There's only 3 or 4 lunches that are the add water to them kind. Wait, I counted - there are 5 of these out of 26 options on my diabetic plan! The review told people most of the lunches are this kind!

Nutrisystem is oriented towards people who don’t want a face-to-face weigh in, and there is a massive amount of information on the NS website to make up for this. They have real-time online classes, a support board, and a recipes board for suggestions on how to prepare the food. Maybe this isn’t made clear if you order through QVC, but if you sign up online you know about these resources.

One other point about QVC: if you order directly from Nutrisystem, you get to choose all your food instead of getting a big packet of stuff preselected for you. Also, you don’t pay shipping and you get a discount. My bill for this month’s autoship is $280, which I find quite reasonable. I live in the Bay Area where a dozen eggs costs $3.59 at my local Safeway, so I am actually saving money by using NS, especially since I eat out less often.

Lastly, I wouldn't even be writing this except for the comment that people who like the food have comatose taste buds. Please, if you’re thinking of joining, disregard this insulting comment. I really love about 90% of the food choices, and I wouldn’t be trying to lose weight if I didn’t appreciate good tasting food. I have not had to resort to MacDonalds once since I started. It’s one thing to choose to go off the plan, but to imply that the food forced you to - well, let’s just say this hasn’t happened to me. And for every food I despise, like the morning muffins or the ramen soup (both which were reviewed), there is someone who is an avid fan of these foods. There’s a wide variety of choices - which is a good thing!
sockmonkeyninja is offline   Reply With Quote