General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/178/135

Default Mirrors

How accessible are the mirrors in your house - particularly the full-length ones? Do you use them? Avoid them?

We have over-the-sink mirrors in our bathrooms and one over-the-dresser mirror in a spare bedroom. There is only one full-length mirror in our house and it still hasn't been hung on the wall. It's stored in a spare bedroom. I use the bathroom mirrors for basic hygiene purposes (brushing hair, etc.) but usually avoid the full-length mirror. My reason is a bit strange. The full-length mirror is slightly distorted and makes me look thinner. You would think I'd be happy about that, but I don't like the shock of seeing myself in a more "honest" mirror later the same day. ("Gee, I didn't realize I looked that wide in this skirt.")
Old 02-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #2  

There are mirrors in the usual rooms..........bathrooms, bedrooms. I don't think about it much one way or the other.
I do notice the people that can't go by one without checking themselves out though

Liz
Old 02-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #3  

Some bright spark stuck a huge mirror on a cabinet in the hall way at the top of the stairs. You turn out of the bedroom to go down the stairs, and there you are!!!

I use it a lot, as well as being about the only mirror in the house, I make a point of standing naked in front of it every night and appraising how my weight loss is going, and looking at the changes in my body.

I found last time I lost weight, oh about 10 years ago, I didn't really appreciate what I had done, and I lost complete touch with my body when I started regaining. Not something I am going to repeat this time!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:56 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

I have the only full-length mirror in the house in my room, and one that shows about half my body in the half-bath in my room (then, of course, also the medicine cabinet mirrors in the other half-bath & bathroom). I'm not afraid of them; I never have been.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #5  
Marathon Goddess

I have the typical bathroom mirrors, and 2 full lenght ones on my closet doors. I found that I got fat by not checking the mirror more often, in our last house we didnt have a full lenght mirror so it was easy to lie to myself, now I see the truth so I have to face the truth.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I've also got a lying mirror, it does make me look thinner!

But I use it to check my press-up form and lunge form and I check out my abs! I have to ignore what it shows me for my legs though, they are seriously chunky, but in that mirror they look almost passable! However I have noticed calf definition and also on my shins. Wooo!

If I have a special outfit I want to check out, I usually take a digital photo, just to compare the mirror image!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

We have the usual bathroom mirrors and also have a hanging mirror above our dresser and one on the wall in the entry way. But no full length mirror-yet! I don't mind seeing myself in the mirror and would love to have a full length one, just haven't gotten around to getting one yet. What I use is a hutch that I have collectibles in, lol. It has a mirrored back and for the most part I can see what I look like, but it does have the shelves and such that breaks it up. Really, need to get that full-length mirror.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #8  

We have mirrors in each room so I can constantly look at myself. I use to eat so fast I even had to put one in the dining room.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I am going to sound VERY vain now, but I can't seem to get enough of mirrors lately. I wish we had a full length one in the house, but I just take advantage of store windows whenever I can. I have NEVER looked this good in my life. I went from a kid's figure (or lack of it) to being overweight once hormones struck. I have recently found that I actually have a waist! And I can't get enough of looking at it. I am surprised that I haven't run into anybody, or anything, at the shops, as I am forever checking out my reflection in store windows. I still can't believe that it is me! And I actually look OK! I know that I still have a little way to go, but I don't stand out in a crowd anymore, which is simply wonderful.

Oh well... that was kinda a long pat on the back for myself wasn't it? Sorry all... just wanted to tell you what a blessing mirrors are for me now. Well, as long as I don't look TOO closely that I notice the loose/wrinkly skin.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Full length mirrors and I do not get along. I'm okay with the typical bathroom over the sink mirrors, as I can lie to myself, I guess...I notice that I tend to be obsessive, even though I hate what I see in the mirror. I'm constantly looking in store windows, like Zelma said...although, I'm not admiring my success, just hating myself more. I can't seem to stop, and I seem to look at my reflection whenever possible, even though I know it will depress me...
Old 02-21-2006, 10:58 PM   #11  

ZedAus if I lost 188 pounds I'd be freaking looking in the mirror all the time!!!! No wonder you're pleased with how you look. Congratulations.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:07 AM   #12  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Thank you boarderchick. I'm really proud of what I have achieved, it just still surprises me. I truly do mostly look because I can't believe that the person I see, with the 'figure', is actually me. And you know what? I hope that I am always just as happy to see that figure. I don't ever want to get bored with it.

Thank you again! You put a huge smile on my face. I may just have to go and check it out in the mirror!

Take care,

Zelma
Old 02-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #13  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I just bought my first full length mirror a few months ago. When I was 250 I did not in ANY way want to have to look at myself in the mirror. I don't know what I'd do without it now!!

Lacey
Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #14  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I love or hate mirrors depending on how fat I feel on any peticular day. If I'm feeling thin, it's fun. I've got a full length mirror in my room that I used every day. I've been doing pageant swim suit poses in my underwear lately, imagining how cute I'm going to look after I lose the weight and fit into that cute pink bikini at Target that I want so bad! I used to not be able to get enough of the mirror when I first came back from Japan and felt so skinny, especially after I bought new clothes.

Sometimes mirrors can be distracting, though. When I was at pageant practice last summer, we practiced in a dance studio with mirrors on the walls. I got a little distracted looking at myself at first. I HATE the mirrors in our choir room at school because they make me look so fat. We only use them during show choir practice sometimes, otherwise a curtain covers them, but they make you look really big because they're so old and probably warped.

ZedAus: If I were you I'd be looking in the mirror a lot, too! I looked at your pictures and it's amazing! You look beautiful And your husband looks a lot like my 8th grade Industrial Tech teacher! Same glasses and everything, lol. Enjoy your mirror time because you so deserve it <3
Old 02-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #15  

Zed Aus just to let you know, I've been there too. I lost 120 pounds several years ago, and it took a couple of years until I wasn't startled to see myself in the mirror. I just looked SO different... Anyhow, enjoy it!!
Closed Thread